how can I check the data transfer capabilities of my Laptop

DESAND

So I looked to see if I could find the question asked before and could not. The other day after getting me a new modem, my ISP offered to upgrade me from the "high speed 100 to HS 250 for only $10 extra a month. As I mentioned in another feed I'm getting avg 92- 96Mbps with the new modem (Assis). I called Tues and subscribed to the 250 plan. They reset the modem supposedly. No change in download speeds.Is there a way to check the computers capabilities before I call them up. If this has been answered already please feel free to point me in the right direction

Hello @DESAND

I am going to try to make this as less of a work as possible for you. (I think?)

I assume you are running windows 7 or above...

Open any folder anyway you like... or just directly file explorer...

1. On the address bar copy and paste this:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center

Hit enter, and when you are the page I hope you are at. You should see what you are connected with.

2. Beside connection. you would see Ethernet or Wireless in blue. Click on it.

3. The window that pops up shows your hardware capabilities. This is the maximum your network card can go up to theoretically. (No way you'll hit this, even PC to PC direct transfer. As your other components w/ bottleneck the transfer of file transfers)

Screenshot below for an example:

As you can see my network card is 1000Mbps/Gbps capable. I don't get these speeds, but here we are :P

image.thumb.png.7c6c929e9f98e749cac27f3ba5fd2ca7.png

Hope this is what you are asking for?

Please clarify if it isn't.

Cheers!

@DESAND, Oh you're kindly welcome. Since you are getting 92-96mbps. The 100mbps makes more sense to be honest.

On a random note: Is this a laptop or a desktop PC? Network cards are pretty cheap (relatively under $40 for gigabit usually labelled "10/100/1000" or something if I remember correctly).

You will never need 10 gigabit network card for any consumer use, not until 10 years from now, maybe. Don't get upsold lol

Good luck!

15 minutes ago, CA3LE said:

Isn't it stupid to build towers every 200 ft

reading that over again, reminds me of Tesla vs. Edison ... Edison wanted DC which would have put power plants on every corner.  Tesla was all about AC... we all know what happened there.   Edison killed a bunch of elephants using AC power and still lost because nobody wants power stations on every corner.  Just like nobody wants wifi units on every corner.  ...just like AC vs DC... I don't think we need them on every corner.  Wasted resources, as humans, we can do it smarter.  ;) 

Yeah, but I thought Edison killed Tesla. :P

Also, Up north of the crazy wall people (yes you Americans), Some core cities do get sync speed (1gbps down and 1gbps up) but we do have majority of plans below that as async, so totally get what you are saying.

I don't think the wireless cellular network can be in expected to run the market same way, that being said, I am not too sure about 5G.

and lawls on subsidized government funds paid by the same people who pay for everything else. THE CYCLE OF SHEEPS! Woooooooooooooooooooo

5 hours ago, ShakTib said:

Yeah, but I thought Edison killed Tesla. :P

Edison won many battles against Tesla but Tesla and Westinghouse won the AC/DC war.  Came down to distribution.  AC can travel much further distance.

Tesla wasn't really understood during his own time.  Can't really blame people for thinking he was out of his mind.  He did after all have a pigeon as a girlfriend.

Edison was an invention thief... he found geniuses like Tesla, patented their inventions and called them his own. "Hey, you were getting a paycheck from me while you came up with that invention... patent filed -- now it's MINE!"  --- he ripped off and ruined lot of real inventors  --- Tesla > Edison.  He was so advanced that it's taken over 100 years for us to finally appreciate some of his inventions.  It may take us even longer to understand some of his other ideas.

... I can see DC playing a larger role in the future.  Tesla vs Edison: the AC/DC current wars make a comeback -- We waste a lot of energy (in the form of heat) converting AC to DC right now (think about all of your power bricks), a DC powered home would be more efficient -- but it was AC that made it available for the masses in the first place.

Thanks guys for your input. I'm glad my simple little problem could inspire such an intellectual conversation. :) I actually turned them down when they first offered me the upgrade. I exact thought was I don't need any thing faster than what I'm getting. Especially now that I'm getting what I've been paying for. I just thought I would see if it made any significant difference. I didn't think about my system capabilities.

ShakTib I am running a 5 yr old Toshiba Satelite C55D  Before I bother doing anything else I need to upgrade the 4gig RAM to 8 or 16. After looking up my system, you guys have a recommendation? Firefox uses so much these days that if I don't constantly clear my history I max out the RAM and freeze up.I  don't really do any gaming but I'm a real Movie and TV buff.

18 hours ago, CA3LE said:

Great solution and resolution. 

Definitely shouldn't pay for 250 Mbps when your controller isn't capable of that speed.  ... unless you have more than one device on the network and you think that capacity over 100 Mbps would be an issue.

CA3LE

I'm glad I posted this thread now. I sort of forgot that the whole purpose of the forums is to educate people about the services they are paying for. I run across people all the time who don't even know they can check their data speeds and most of those that do are only aware of Ookla's test via Speedtest.net of their ISP. You guys are great thanks

On 5/19/2019 at 11:49 PM, DESAND said:

ShakTib I am running a 5 yr old Toshiba Satelite C55D  Before I bother doing anything else I need to upgrade the 4gig RAM to 8 or 16. After looking up my system, you guys have a recommendation? Firefox uses so much these days that if I don't constantly clear my history I max out the RAM and freeze up.I  don't really do any gaming but I'm a real Movie and TV buff.

Hey @DESAND,

I may be wrong (I like to believe I am not lol), but I don't think you RAM is the main issue... C55D I believe (which quick research) is an AMD E1 CPU which is only 1GHZ & dual-core. You are bottle necking the brain power of that laptop.

Browser now use more processing power. Not just Firefox (Chrome is worse). I recommend looking into a invest of a processor that is 2GHZ or quad-core.

Upgrading your ram gives the PC more "hands" to hold things, metaphorically, to hold more applications running at the same time.

CPU is more about actually processing things, or "thinking" and "doing", what you have told it to do by clicking and typing, (essentially almost everything on the browser), especially videos playbacks.

I have a feeling you need a better processor, which in turn is a newer laptop,  since you can't upgrade a processor on a laptop. (For the sake on sanity and reasonable investments, don't try either lol).

@CA3LE why you gotta make this a whole Edison / Tesla war man...

But when i said Edison killed Tesla, I meant literally, killed him... I don't remember, but I think it was a hired hit...

I don't have my facts straight.... hmmm

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 10:05 PM, DESAND said:

I'm glad I posted this thread now.

Me too.  I just thought about it and came to check up.  I don't always see notifications as I can get sucked into programming vortexes sometimes that prevent me from seeing anything other than what's right in front of my eyeballs.

Being totally honest...

Topics that I genuinely find interesting, I pop back in like this.  Any notification I got on this topic (subscribed btw) got buried...  sometimes I see them.  Sometimes not.

On 5/23/2019 at 9:41 AM, ShakTib said:

I have a feeling you need a better processor, which in turn is a newer laptop,  since you can't upgrade a processor on a laptop. (For the sake on sanity and reasonable investments, don't try either lol).

First, I have to reread this topic now, but keep in mind, people were pulling much faster speeds on TestMy.net way over 10 years ago.  Right now... nearly anyone's phone  >  nearly any computer from 10 years ago.  Processor speed can be a factor, especially in multithread, but it's not a real factor unless resources are being fully utilized elsewhere.  Like, if another application is eating up all of your available resources.. then it may affect your results.  Otherwise, very minimal CPU resources are actually needed to run TMN.  Your computer may burst resources if available but they aren't necessary to make the test function properly.  It might help with animations but the test itself functions the same regardless of the animations on your screen. This is made to run equally on all devices, the network resource is the limiting factor in the methodology behind TestMy.net.

The same core behind what I originally built is still what drives this speed test.  The basic principals are exactly the same, over the years it just renders quicker and gets to the final result more efficiently.

My multithread speed test (other speed tests run this way by default) can often give people a more favorable result, especially with a fast CPU and fast computer in general situation.... but from our user feedback it's obvious those favorable results only hide issues.  --- other speed tests use multithread by default.  My own results... much better with multithread, used to be even.  When my multithread and classic results match... that's always a perfectly running connection.  And a clean computer on top of it.

If you want me to bore you with the details, just ask me a question.  To be honest... I've told the story too many times and nobody cares.  --- 20 people might read this far, might:( 

On 5/23/2019 at 9:41 AM, ShakTib said:

@CA3LE why you gotta make this a whole Edison / Tesla war man...

But when i said Edison killed Tesla, I meant literally, killed him... I don't remember, but I think it was a hired hit...

I don't have my facts straight.... hmmm

J.P. Morgan was pretty pissed that Tesla wouldn't sell him his patents... shortly after, Nikola Tesla's master lab and the majority of his key research was burnt to the ground.  That didn't lead or have anything to do with his death... a loss of his his life's work but not his life, though after that it probably made him age faster. 

Watch that video above from start to finish... it's a really good synopsis.

Don't get me wrong, Edison was a bad A mofo.  Definitely someone to look up to...... if you're evil ...and want to rule the world.   (lol)

Jeff Bezos is getting to that level of control. 

Way off topic... but maybe you'll find it interesting.

You may already know that tycoons like J.P Morgan and Rockefeller inspired the game Monopoly.  The difference here is Jeff Bezos is smart enough to run a legal monopoly.  bah ha ha ha.  Try to stop that.  ha ha ha ha ha.

Just look at his eyes in this 1999 interview.  He had the vision and knew.  All the way back in 1999, he already knew that Amazon was the shit.  Not, "going to be" the shit -- in his mind, it already was.  But he's also careful to level investor expectations.  What an amazing interview.  An amazing man... he truly believes in the customer.  Watch.

The eyes of a madman.  My kind of dude.  You can see calculations happening in his mind in realtime.  During this interview... he's envisioning 40+ years into the future.

Remember the guy from the show Hero's.  ---  Jeff Bezos is Isaac Mendez

hqdefault.jpg

Pretty much... while he envisions his business you can see that his eyes are in the future.  Isaac Mendez comes to my mind.

You can see that he knows what he's saying WILL become the future.  He's basically saying, "Are you kidding me?  Why can't you see the future like I do?"   Such a badass.

... by the way Mr. Bezos... AWS is way over priced.  Not competitively priced AT ALL, people can get exactly what they need with your weakest competition MUCH easier, cheaper and faster.  I'd expect more from Amazon.com and I wonder why people use you for hosting.  Maybe your ecosystem has locked people into using you, they're stuck.  I keep trying over the years and it keeps disappointing me.  Google too.  The hosting and bandwidth quality isn't the issue... it's the billing (and ecosystem).  It's FAR out of range for high bandwidth websites like this...... and many others.

Amazon is missing out.  Or maybe everyone else is under cutting prices just to compete..... but if they're profitable then Amazon should really be profitable at those same prices or better. 

WTH is my amazon basics hosting?  I just want a VPS host, my choice of OS, 10G ethernet and scalable RAM and CPU..... I'm really not asking for much here.  But I try to get that from AWS and it's first a pain in the ass... then second I find out it's ASTRONOMICALLY priced.  F U.  Get real Amazon! 

Any businesses out there building systems around ecosystems that lock them into pricing like that, DOOMED!

I'll keep checking like I always do --- if this ever changes before I notice, someone please let me know.  I would love to get servers with Google (again) or AWS.

My take on the whole subject:

Tesla selflessly reinvented the world as we understood it.  Edison did the same thing but with selfish intensions.  And Bezos... gave us PRIME!

-- no joke, watch what Bezos does.  He hasn't even started yet.  :headbang:  ?