My Average Tool

CA3LE

The Hourly Average tool has been converted to also average Date/Day, Day of Week, Month and Year and has been renamed My Average.

Averaging speed test results by hour, day, day of week, month and year can help you pinpoint slow times.  Members with long TestMy.net history can aggregate all the way back to their original results.  So you can see how your speed has improved (or not) over the years.

myaverage?hostQ=&dateFull=&q=CA3LE&var=Year

Hope you like it.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, ShakTib said:

Oh this is nice. ^_^

Thanks, I'm surprised there hasn't been more response to this.  It's pretty much the most powerful tool I've ever built... statistically speaking.

Personally, I love it.

My Average also works with all of the ISPs, cities and countries in the database.  Those areas are in development but will be released in iterations soon.  I'm using it right now and... to me, it's crazy to see years of data plotted out in front of me, so quickly.  Many of the queries aren't even close to optimized or indexed but it can still make it happen like lightning.

Around 2011/2012 I changed the way providers were being logged to the database, this tool combines the old data with the new data for its calculations so I'm able to get full records going back to 2005.

All in milliseconds.

(actually the database predates that but an early error reset all of the dates to 2005... whoops!  Too late by the time I noticed.  Live, learn, be happy.)

These are extremely heavy queries to the database but using some of the same strategies that I use for hoststats I'm able to make these pages render for you in under 0.05 seconds.  Behind the scenes these queries take minutes but TMN is in the background pre-fetching and caching calculations.

Check out how much Hughes Net has improved over the years.

LOL, that 2nd video was copyright claimed for the audio before I could even post this. (I mean right as I pasted the link)  Youtube is on it!  That's good, that dude deserves credit.  So you might see ads just on that 2nd video... just wanted to share what I was really listening to right now.  ;) 

On 5/21/2019 at 5:33 PM, CA3LE said:

You're welcome!  I'll start explaining with videos like that more often.

Cool, I'll look you up.

Thanks but I haven’t uploaded anything yet, although I do have a wide variety of playlist content for both the discerning and the  non-discerning viewers ?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree this is really cool.  Interesting to see my speeds outperforming the Dow Jones over the years.  :)   Right now my pet project is figuring out what router to get when my Apple Airport Extreme starts approaching obsolescence, since Apple has exited the wireless market.  I understand there are some really exotic new products from mainstream manufacturers but am overwhelmed with reviews and data at the moment, and hope the classic Apple simplicity and reliability is part of other router manufacturers' culture and tech.

Best regards, CA3LE.  We haven't conversed in a while but I'm so grateful you have stayed at this.  

3 hours ago, mvbmac said:

Interesting to see my speeds outperforming the Dow Jones over the years.

Big time. :-P --- although your upload has been leveled out for a while... it's still a great upload speed.

myaverage?q=mvbmac&var=Year

Right now my pet project is figuring out what router to get when my Apple Airport Extreme starts approaching obsolescence, since Apple has exited the wireless market.  I understand there are some really exotic new products from mainstream manufacturers but am overwhelmed with reviews and data at the moment, and hope the classic Apple simplicity and reliability is part of other router manufacturers' culture and tech.

Yeah, it is too bad.  You know they could make some amazing new Wireless 6 Airport router... where you could add on your own number of satellite units, with ethernet backhaul capability.  Apple would do it right and make bank.  But if they go at that market again I think they need a faster refresh cycle.  I don't see Apple putting resources into that right now.

I was hoping that my Netgear Orbi (AC3000) was going to be better.  I'll be ordering a couple different routers soon for a shootout.  

One that's high on my interest list is the Netgear XR500 running Duma OS -- which is supposed to be easy (intuitive) and powerful at the same time.

This is one time I've strayed away from gaming routers (because I wanted a mesh system), I wish I had just waited.  Because now, Netgear's gaming routers can create mesh networks with the NIGHTHAWK X6S (EX8000).  Not saying the Orbi is terrible but I'm positive the XR500 and X6S will out perform it.  Still creating a single seamless network like the Orbi, not an extended network.

Linus Tech Tips (that links to his forum) just did a review on the XR500 -- guess I'll link to him even though he seems to have a hard on for speedtest.net.  Maybe he just doesn't know any better yet. :evil6:

Best regards, CA3LE.  We haven't conversed in a while but I'm so grateful you have stayed at this.  

...me too brother.  I'm still nowhere near complete.  And thank you!  Glad to see you're still around.  :-D   Always love to see TMN veterans!

• 1 month later...

It seems something may have happened between the last time I checked the Average tool out and somewhat recently.  I use the embedded iframe feature offered to display three sets of data, each set is for a specific Hughesnet terminal to help show how the different systems work at various times of day.  When I first used the average tool to display the data on my site everything went great, all three sets showed up separately.  The other day when I checked my site, none of the iframes would load the graphs, so I figured something may have changed, and it appears it has.

I grabbed the HTML for the iframe and pasted it to my site, and the graphs show now, but at the same time, they are not correct.  Most all the time, all three graphs show the exact same data even though they point to different data sets...  I had one friend check things out and he got some strange error about version 19?  Another friend is seeing exactly what I see, all three show up the same.

Link to page: https://chucksbasix.com/performance-counters/

Below is the "code" for the section that is acting all off...  Is this because TMN can't keep up and just spits out the same results?  I have changed the HTML a bit, but that shouldn't be impacting the information that *should* be displayed.

<hr>

<h3><a href="https://testmy.net/stats/?t=u&l=1000&z=30&q=C0RR0SIVE">Hughesnet Gen5 Residential Testmy.net Results (25/3 Down/Up)</a><iframe loading="lazy" src="https://testmy.net/myaverage?q=C0RR0SIVE&extraIDX=30&f=1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="400" width="100%"></iframe></h3>

<hr>

<h3><a href="https://testmy.net/stats/?t=u&l=100&z=29&q=C0RR0SIVE">Hughesnet Gen4 Residential Testmy.net Results (5/1 Down/Up)</a><iframe loading="lazy" src="https://testmy.net/myaverage?q=C0RR0SIVE&extraIDX=29&f=1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="400" width="100%"></iframe></h3>

<hr>

<h3><a href="https://testmy.net/stats/?t=u&l=1000&z=10&q=C0RR0SIVE">Hughesnet Gen5 Business Testmy.net Results (25/3 Down/Up)</a><iframe loading="lazy" src="https://testmy.net/myaverage?q=C0RR0SIVE&extraIDX=10&f=1" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="400" width="100%"></iframe></iframe></h3>

That issue aside, thanks for working on these new features, and this great website in general!  It's a huge service to everyone!

TMN Odd1.jpg

TMN Odd2.PNG

2 hours ago, C0RR0SIVE said:

That issue aside, thanks for working on these new features, and this great website in general!  It's a huge service to everyone!

Thank you!

Those issues are resolved now.  First issue, (showing the same data for the 3 different embeds) was indeed a server-side cache algorithm issue.  The program makes temporary caches and wasn't including the identifying information into a certain important string so it wasn't creating the cache properly when an identifier was selected.  This cache only lasts for seconds in case someone reloads the page soon after the first load but it was enough to make those back to back subsequent reloads show the same data.  Basically it was pointing to the wrong area, when an identifier was selected in the query.  Now it's adding the identifier to that string so when you have that selected it makes the program see that as being a unique request from the rest and will make it call its own cache or draw from the database.

Also fixed it so it doesn't show the beta warning on embedded pages... it wasn't supposed to.

Thanks again, you rock!  Please don't hesitate if you see anything else that I can improve or fix.  :headbang:

While I’ve got a fantastic home network system it’s only as good as the ISP provides. Last Fall I was paying $80/mo. for 400 Mbps. This site demonstrated the “real” situation. Now, because of you guys, I’m paying $50/mo. for Internet + TV + Phone and receiving the same approximate throughput, circa 100 Mbps, instead of 150 - 175 before, + the tv and phone!

The only downside is it’s not as much fun running the speed tests as it had been but also not nearly as stressful.

Pahoo

Oh, I forgot to mention that the $80 had just gone to $102 in June so I really got stuck for 1 month.

12 hours ago, Pahoo Katawah said:

While I’ve got a fantastic home network system it’s only as good as the ISP provides. Last Fall I was paying $80/mo. for 400 Mbps. This site demonstrated the “real” situation. Now, because of you guys, I’m paying $50/mo. for Internet + TV + Phone and receiving the same approximate throughput, circa 100 Mbps, instead of 150 - 175 before, + the tv and phone!

The only downside is it’s not as much fun running the speed tests as it had been but also not nearly as stressful.

Pahoo

Oh, I forgot to mention that the $80 had just gone to $102 in June so I really got stuck for 1 month.

That's awesome to hear!  Saving money AND you're happier with what's being provided.  You're seriously paying $50/month for all 3 services!?!  Wow.  Nice.

Unless you add a bunch more devices, I imagine your plan will serve you very well for a long time.  They'll probably offer better packages for cheaper by the time you need more speed.  ;)

Originally I had 5+ people here and about 15+ devices which gave me the need for speed and bandwidth but I came to realize that for the last several years I only have 3 people with 5-6 devices (TVs, wireless blu-ray players, etc. all ‘smart’) so I didn’t need it anymore. I guess I developed a mindset to get the most I could. But for the next year I’ll be happy ? to pay the $50 instead of the $102 and then I’ll have to see what kind of deal I can get.

Still, it was kind of fun to try for the 400 Mbps‼️ ???

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2019 at 9:26 PM, CA3LE said:

That's awesome to hear!  Saving money AND you're happier with what's being provided.  You're seriously paying $50/month for all 3 services!?!  Wow.  Nice.

Unless you add a bunch more devices, I imagine your plan will serve you very well for a long time.  They'll probably offer better packages for cheaper by the time you need more speed.  ;)

Unfortunately, I've been compromised. Last night in my Inbox I saw an email with the Subj field = my ISP login password. Today on my ISP provided phone was a call from

"Fraudulent Call" and yes, it was misspelled too. The email was a threat if I didn't buy some BitCoins.... ISP said to go to local police and file a report and they would have documentation for them but my police are not what they used to be and technically ..... so I don't expect much.

On 8/15/2019 at 4:18 AM, spudler_t said:

LMAO  OMG read the title and  Average Tool,   anyway  speed testing tool right??

Holy cow I cannot stop Laughing that was too funny, so wish yall could share in my ridiculous sense of humor. 

I just read the entire sequence and don’t know what you’re referring to. What am I missing? I could use a good laugh too ?

?️

• CA3LE unpinned this topic