testing wifi reliability for TV streaming

pcwenzel

I've had intermittent issues with my roku, where TV streaming will drop or freeze.  I'd like to use testmy.net over a long duration to test the bandwidth reliability.

I'm planning on leaving a computer near the TV to test over time.  What settings should I use in testmy.net to be similar to streaming TV service?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
On 6/18/2019 at 7:35 AM, pcwenzel said:

I've had intermittent issues with my roku, where TV streaming will drop or freeze.  I'd like to use testmy.net over a long duration to test the bandwidth reliability.

I'm planning on leaving a computer near the TV to test over time.  What settings should I use in testmy.net to be similar to streaming TV service?

Thanks!

On 6/18/2019 at 2:46 PM, CA3LE said:

Welcome to TestMy.net by the way.  Hopefully we can help troubleshoot and diagnose the issue.  Please share your findings and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thank you 

I just recently switched to Century Link, their “high-speed Internet” package.  Before this I was using Comcast/Xfinity....But their prices starting to become outrageous and quite honestly I didn’t need everything that was Offered it in a basic tier level account.  So I am rounding off my first month with Century Link and I can’t say that I’ve really had any problems except for that I may have noticed that it might be a tad bit slower but it’s hard to tail to be completely honest… I feel like at certain times (especially when my bill was due ). Xfinity was actually slower or maybe even throttled?  I have a AIO Samsung computer... That’s the plug directly into their modem/router and my cell phone is the only other thing that uses the Wi-Fi... I made the switch obviously to stream instead of paying quadruple the price to also have cable channels that I didn’t watch and so far I have not noticed much of a difference except that I have to use an HDMI cable to basically mirror my computer screen onto my TV.  But that will only be for the next month, I will be getting a smart TV that has built-in Wi-Fi I’m looking for suggestions?