Is it my router?

Mike415

OK Ive been donloading really slow lately and I tink its ebcause of my router and I guess packet losses.  I had my cable modem on top of my router hich may of caused it to over heat a bit... But now when I go through the router I get about 150-600kbps.  I have 4mb cable and can get 3.5mb going through the modem directly.  Do you think that it has to be my router nd should I go get a new one.  I have a linksys but I think if I get one I am just going to get the same one do Idont need to buy new NA also.  Is there a way to fix my speeds maybe.  I tried forwarding all the ports but that didnt work

No ive switched out all my cables,  What I think it is is that COmcast maybe changed some settings so that I have to reconfigure my router to work with them, maybe a static ip? would that slow it down or osmething?  Because it seems like when they had the speed upgrades thats when my internet slowed

• 5 weeks later...

i got a question . my cable modem is a motorola sb5100, and it is connected to a linksys BEFSR41 router . would i be better off with the motorola ethernet broadband router BR700? will it even make a diffrence

No I dought it would make any differnce unless your internet connection is faster than the through put of the router