Do I need to keep the page open in my browser?

ramasaig

Hello, I'm new to TMN. My internet speed has crashed in recent months, and fluctuates wildly in the 0-1Mbp/s range, but sometimes goes up to 3.5!

I'm running a series of tests at short time interval. Do I need to keep the TMN page open in my browser throughout, or can I close it and rely on getting the e-mail at the end of testing?

5 hours ago, ramasaig said:

Hello, I'm new to TMN. My internet speed has crashed in recent months, and fluctuates wildly in the 0-1Mbp/s range, but sometimes goes up to 3.5!

I'm running a series of tests at short time interval. Do I need to keep the TMN page open in my browser throughout, or can I close it and rely on getting the e-mail at the end of testing?

Yes, keep the window open for the duration of testing.

Otherwise the test will immediately be terminated.

Welcome to testmy.net

Welcome ramasaig!

Either run it in a different browser window or a different tab.  From there, it can usually be ignored until its time is complete.  As long as you're signed in you'll get an email notification when it's complete.

I'm going to work on in browser and push notifications right now.

Thank you both. I decided to keep the tab open. I ran the test at five minute intervals for seventy five cycles. It shows the fluctuations brilliantly.

I'm slightly perplexed by the 'random files uploaded'. What happens to them after they've been uploaded? If the files are randomly selected from my HDD how can I prevent sensitive files being uploaded?

14 hours ago, ramasaig said:

Thank you both. I decided to keep the tab open. I ran the test at five minute intervals for seventy five cycles. It shows the fluctuations brilliantly.

I'm slightly perplexed by the 'random files uploaded'. What happens to them after they've been uploaded? If the files are randomly selected from my HDD how can I prevent sensitive files being uploaded?

Maybe I need to word that differently... I thought that when I wrote it too but I'm trying to condense information to fit on all devices in this same decision.  

By random, I mean randomly generated.  The information is nothing... literally nothing at all.  Not drawn from anything.  I'm instructing your browser to generate random charters client-side which are then pushed to the server.  The information didn't exist before, it doesn't exist after... and even during the transfer it doesn't mean anything.  It's just random.  Nothing off of your computer or device is, was or will ever be transferred between you and TMN unless you explicitly know about its transfer.     PERIOD.      always and forever.

Do you think, "Uploading __ MB of randomly generated information" is better than "Uploading __ MB of random information"?  Or do you have another suggestion for wording?

Maybe after more details on your suggestion we'll put it to a vote.  

Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad to be reassured. I think the wording you have suggested would meet the requirement very well.

TMN has done a great job for me, now I can really demonstrate that the speed on my service is fluctuating rapidly, and isn't just due to contention (which I would expect to show a more gradual change over time, and have some daily pattern). Unfortunately my ISP and the owner of the phone network aren't going to do more than shrug, so I'm planning to go to a 4G service from a phone mast. 

4 hours ago, CA3LE said:

Do you think, "Uploading __ MB of randomly generated information" is better than "Uploading __ MB of random information"?  Or do you have another suggestion for wording?

Maybe after more details on your suggestion we'll put it to a vote.  

@CA3LE is it just randomly generated bit patterns of ones and zeroes? The word “information” makes it sound like the information has some intelligent content. Maybe use “numbers” or “bit patterns” ?

With all the hype over data privacy laws here in Europe (GDPR, which stands for General Data Protection Regulation), I can see where non-technical people get confused over using data to refer to integrated circuit data instead of personal data. 

The best replacement word I can think of would be "bytes", e.g. "Uploading 12 MB of random bytes..." 

To a non-technical person, they will more likely see the word "bytes" as technical jargon than personal data.  Even if they Google (or Bing) the keyword "Bytes", the search results will not be about organisations collecting data, privacy, regulations, etc. 

I like this best...

13 hours ago, Sean said:

The best replacement word I can think of would be "bytes", e.g. "Uploading 12 MB of random bytes..." 

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 7.49.00 AM-min.png

On 8/24/2019 at 5:48 AM, Pgoodwin1 said:

is it just randomly generated bit patterns of ones and zeroes?

No, it's full alphanumeric which makes it more random. 

@ramasaig does this help make it more clear?