Will A Better Router Help?

Photoplane1

My Hugesnet modem measures 35 to 40 kbps coming in from the dish as measured here. I receive most of this speed only if I hardwire my desktop into the modem. WiFi speeds are more like 4 to 5  setting up right next to the modem. (Forget about uploading). My installation technician told me the router they supply sucks and I'd say he is right. Would purchasing a separate quality router help me receive more of the speed the dish is sending to the modem? 

10 hours ago, Photoplane1 said:

My Hugesnet modem measures 35 to 40 kbps coming in from the dish as measured here. I receive most of this speed only if I hardwire my desktop into the modem. WiFi speeds are more like 4 to 5  setting up right next to the modem. (Forget about uploading). My installation technician told me the router they supply sucks and I'd say he is right. Would purchasing a separate quality router help me receive more of the speed the dish is sending to the modem? 

I’d call Hughesnet and tell them what you’ve found and ask them if they have a better router. If they don’t have a better one, ask them for a list of compatible routers then look at reviews of them. Post the list here too, and perhaps someone will post back with info about one or more of them.

I just had Hughesnet installed yesterday. Last night my upload was only 1-2 mbps and my download was at 5-7 mbps.  I called them, and after over an hour on the phone, was told that they would have to forward my problem on to their tech dept to start an investigation.  Someone would be with me in 3-5 business days!!! REALLY??? Tonight I am getting really good speeds.  Don't know if they did something or if the dish has a clearer view of the satellite. However, it is after 11 PM and I just hope I don't have to wait til this late to use it! I will call them to inquire about a better modem. Thanks for asking this question. 

On 9/8/2019 at 8:26 PM, Photoplane1 said:

Would purchasing a separate quality router help me receive more of the speed the dish is sending to the modem? 

A better router may help you with range and internal network speed but your wifi right now probably isn't the bottleneck... it's the connection.

To see if you might benefit from a faster router connect your modem directly to your best computer.  Then run TestMy.net.  Connect it back up to wifi and test the same computer again.  You'll probably need to unplug the power from modem each time when you switch back and fourth, they usually need to boot up and get the MAC address of the device it's connected to.

If you do that test and find your speed is much faster wired... then you might want to think about getting a newer router.  If the speeds are about the same... you can probably hold off unless you're having other issues with wifi.

I personally use Netgear.  A used Nighthawk R7000 for ~$70 would blow away whatever they gave you.  I also would never use a router or modem from my ISP and prefer to have them as two separate units.  Better for future upgradability, cheaper if something fails too.  I need to upgrade routers far more often than modems so having them separate is better.  Also better for interference. 

When I've tested even the supposed best ISP routers... they always under perform vs retail counterparts.

When it comes to wifi, testing right on top of the router isn't optimal.  You want to be a little away from it.  Maybe like 10 ft.

Here's an article about wireless best practices -- may help you get the most out of what you're working with. - wireless feng shui

What!?!  That's BS.

Does your modem have Ethernet out?  Is the modem a combo modem/router.

If you have Ethernet out you can plug that into any router.  I then run your own network off of that... either ignore the other wifi network or there may be a way to disable it in the settings.  Let me know your model number.

Hugesnet told me any router will work. (As usual, ask the same question to different phone reps and you'll get different answers). I purchased a $50 TP-Link and Netflix doesn't bog down or disconnect anymore. The router portion of the Hugesnet modem sucks and the install tech even told me so. He even tried to sell me a router off his truck! I ordered mine from Amazon and had it next day free with prime.

3 minutes ago, Photoplane1 said:

Hugesnet told me any router will work. (As usual, ask the same question to different phone reps and you'll get different answers). I purchased a $50 TP-Link and Netflix doesn't bog down or disconnect anymore.

Very nice!  Glad to hear your problem is resolved.

I don't see any test results under your username, are your test results more consistent now?

SpaceX is getting me excited for the future for rural internet.  Their low orbit (only 550 km [340 mi]) satellites will bring gigabit speeds with latency of only 25 ms.  That blows my mind.  Looking like 2020 or 2021 this will be a reality.  I think this has potential to be the greatest advancement for world internet.  -- Starlink constellation -- Starlink's Website

Here's a good read on ars technica, published yesterday -- SpaceX says it will deploy satellite broadband across US faster than expected

On 9/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, CA3LE said:

What!?!  That's BS.

Does your modem have Ethernet out?  Is the modem a combo modem/router.

If you have Ethernet out you can plug that into any router.  I then run your own network off of that... either ignore the other wifi network or there may be a way to disable it in the settings.  Let me know your model number.

My modem has an Ethernet cable not connected to anything. The booklet says it is the HT2000W/H21020. It still will not let me stream despite good signal and good enough speeds. 

On 9/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, Photoplane1 said:

Hugesnet told me any router will work. (As usual, ask the same question to different phone reps and you'll get different answers). I purchased a $50 TP-Link and Netflix doesn't bog down or disconnect anymore. The router portion of the Hugesnet modem sucks and the install tech even told me so. He even tried to sell me a router off his truck! I ordered mine from Amazon and had it next day free with prime.

Because I’m so techno illiterate can you please tell me the model number you used? Also, how to hook it up?

30 minutes ago, robin rogers said:

Thanks. So, you think this will give me better WiFi and ability to stream?

On 9/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, Photoplane1 said:

I purchased a $50 TP-Link and Netflix doesn't bog down or disconnect anymore.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, Photoplane1 said:

The router portion of the Hugesnet modem sucks and the install tech even told me so.

I'd be ordering up a new router, if it doesn't help... return it.

Here's the one @Photoplane1 is using.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1200-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B07N1L5HX1/ 

For $7 more I might also look at

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-Smart-WiFi-Router/dp/B079JD7F7G/

Personally, I like netgear ... a Nighthawk AC1750 will only set you back $78 ... there's a $10 off that right now.

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 12.00.35 PM-min.png

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-R6700-Nighthawk-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00R2AZLD2/

That's a great router.

None of those are affiliate links or anything, just trying to help.

13 minutes ago, robin rogers said:

Thanks! Ordered it from Amazon. 

Scared me for a second, I saw this email notification and thought I accidentally ordered one of those just now.  I just saw "router" "order" "Amazon" and thought I accidentally clicked buy it now or something, Haha.  You did that quick!

Which one did you order?  Let us know how it works out after it arrives!