making some progress on suddenlink

rebrecs

• 4 weeks later...

And now finally -- I have reached the speed I am paying for !!!! I need to thank TNM. I could not have gotten to here without it.

Prior to this last change, I had hit a brick wall at 20Mbps with terrible variance. Now runs smoothly at full speed.

Additionally, I can now get the full 400Mbps without using multithread.

853374999_Upload40Mbps_Capture.thumb.JPG.e822ce7a321ff5c9b49e0a073503ef1f.JPG

The change that got me to this quantum leap were made in my router to the NAT settings.

Three months ago I began investigating what is involved in hosting my own domain. That may seem counter-intuitive to some, since most folks I know rejoice in not having to do that. The ubiquitous opinion is; "put the headaches into the hands of people who know how to do that." Admittedly, I may also find it is indeed too much work. My domains are hosted by Bluehost, and I have always had great experiences with that company. My reasons for wanting to self-host are not a negative reflection upon Bluehost.

My ISP is Suddenlink. I will change to another ISP as soon as there is a viable alternative. At this time, there is not. My objection to Suddenlink is not technical. Indeed, they are ranked #1 on the TMN ISP Speed page.

In order to host my domain, my facility must have the fastest UPLOAD speed attainable within my budget. Once I found TMN, my testing revealed big problems. Problems which did not show up on the Suddenlink Speed Test. Three months ago, I was paying for 40 Mbps Upload, and getting 5 Mbps. Today my speed is at 40 Mbps and holding. It was a difficult journey from 5 to 40. One I could not have made without TMN. I cannot over emphasize how impressed I am with TMN. Those of you who are not programmers or engineers in the data industry are likely not able to appreciate the magnitude and excellence of the work that has gone on to create and maintain this site.

All of the changes made to get this result were made with configuration options and parameters on a single piece of gear in my facility, an ASUS AC-3100, which is a consumer combo box. Fundamentally it is a 4 port network bridge device with one port capable of interfacing to a cable modem, and a Wireless Access Point bolted on (built-in). I suppose there is an implicit endorsement of the unit in what I just said. It is able to move data at the ISP limited rate. Con's; hard to decipher the use of it's options due to the non-technical nature of its documentation. (consumer friendly baby talk)

5 to 40 in 3 months:

1558203105_MonthlyAvgCapture.thumb.JPG.3d95f9d1b1c71d755aee952e0e9732fe.JPG