Are MultiThreaded Apps and DOCSIS 3.0 related?

rebrecs

Hi,

Here are two multi-path concepts.  Are they related? If so, how?

My ISP, (*not known for passing useful, accurate, or true information) has advised that a DOCSIS 3.0 modem is required in order to get the promised net speed.

That sounds like something that would be in a help-desk cookbook, so I'm going to accept it.

However, my question is more along the lines of-- whether a program, say at the Java language/C++ language level can specify channels/lanes (whatever), or if the DOCSIS thing is just network hardware infrastructure.

And most relevant, does our TMN multi-threaded architecture depend on DOCSIS?

Thanks in advance.

--john

DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) is on the cable provider's end up to the modem.  DOCSIS 3.0 allows for more channels in and out of your modem at higher frequencies.  DOCSIS 3.0 vs 2.0 and DOCSIS 3.0 vs 3.1.

Your getting over 400 Mbps consistently on single thread speed tests here... that's amazing results.  And you're telling me that you're only on a DOCSIS 3.0 modem?  ... are you sure you're not on a v3.0 and he advised you that you need a v3.1?  Tell me the model number of the modem you own.

I don't see any multithread results in your history.  Go to https://testmy.net/multithread and enable multithread, then test as you normally do.  Log those results before and then again after you've upgraded your modem.

But if you don't feel like spending the money right now... you're running pretty damn good in my opinion.  I'd rock that connection all day long.

TMN's multithread test will open (at least) 8 threads.  Your current modem probably do at least 8 threads already.  The test you've been running is only single thread... the best connections I use perform equally well on both tests by the way.

58 minutes ago, rebrecs said:

Does multithreaded apply to both Upload and Download tests ?

50 minutes ago, rebrecs said:

ignore previous, I found that answer. Multithread applies to download and automatic.

should I assume you continue to open connections until you hit the max speed attainable ?

This is browser dependent, it will open as many connections as your browser allows.  Even in older browsers at least 8 threads.

As you noticed, multithread is currently only for download tests.  But I have been developing a multithread upload test.

This was not testing under ideal circumstances, I was seeing a consistent 980+ Mbps using the same proof of concept under ideal conditions on a 1000 Mbps uplink.

The difference here is the same with the multithread download test.  Behind the scenes your transferring multiple smaller files instead of one larger file.