Finally Got some great iRacing coverage

spudler_t

So last nights race at ISM in my league was awesome, got some great coverage and mentioning of the Testmy.net site.

No I am not officially sponsored by the site, but due to the great tools and time I have been a a member of Testmy.net and watched the site expand I could think of no better way to say  thanks not to mention a better tool for those who run the Simulation as it needs great internet reliability and there is none better to use to ensure you are in top shape.

I added a link stating  from where race starts, I hope you guys enjoy this and thank  you for all the help you have provided to allow me to keep Xfinity honest and tools to know my internet is up to snuff.

iRacing ISM race in the Testmy.net Tundra

Yea we do a Destruction derby after the races, Usually Cody the broadcaster guy pans off to scenic view this time he left it on the winner, I was the third guy to hit him, I was hoping coming up backwards I would catch them off guard, But forgot these things are made to go left not right so it was crazy hard to drive in that direction.

Hopefully I will get up there with my Xfinity car too so it can be seen on youtube.

I also am looking for parts to build a dedicated iRacing computer and as soon as I do that I have about 50 Races I will start Encoding and posting to youtube.

It is kinda cool though now the VRN (Virtual racing Network) Uses Testmy.net as well as 4 of the other drivers since I started running these paints

I need to learn more about your latency feature as that would be a huge item all Racers should be using to be sure all is good when racing, Sadly we get a lot of people who Blink Out (Disappear) in the races (Mostly official ones not so much this league)  due to bad internet Latency and it can cause huge issues like wrecks etc..

Sadly a ton of people bought into the ISP pushing their recommended test sites and think if they show good they are fine and i have seen so many posts about how the So and SO test site shows all good but when racing their Quality and latency is bad. 

17 hours ago, spudler_t said:

I was hoping coming up backwards I would catch them off guard, But forgot these things are made to go left not right so it was crazy hard to drive in that direction.

? hahaha, I forgot about that factor.

17 hours ago, spudler_t said:

I need to learn more about your latency feature as that would be a huge item all Racers should be using to be sure all is good when racing, Sadly we get a lot of people who Blink Out (Disappear) in the races (Mostly official ones not so much this league)  due to bad internet Latency and it can cause huge issues like wrecks etc..

Did you know with the latency test you can test directly to most web servers outside of TestMy.net also.

e.g. https://testmy.net/latency?addr=virtualracingnetwork.net (they don't use https yet so you may get a mixed content warning in some browsers but it should still work)

e.g. https://testmy.net/latency?addr=s100.iracing.com&https=1

I found that you need to test against s100.iracing.com, iracing.com doesn't have a favicon which is a small common file I'm testing with.  They have one but it's not stored on their root domain and it's not referenced in the page.

Future versions will parse the page for alternate test resources if the default isn't available.

Wow, that iRacing website could majorly use some optimizing.  The front page is like 20MB... I bet if they optimized that it would cut the size 10X.  There are also a huge number of requests (hundreds) could probably be cut down to 30.  And many redirected requests. (how I found s100.iracing.com)

Look at this waterfall (loading flow) thumbnail... holy cow!

3_waterfall_thumb-min.png

NIAGRA FALLS up-in 'ere!

Seriously, I don't think I've seen a waterfall that long before.

They probably have mostly high speed users but still.  I found this while inspecting their page to find testing resources.  It's loading at least 10X slower than it could.  If you know any admins over there maybe give them a little heads up... at least that their favicon is missing.

Pretty sure they want people to see this... Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 12.06.48 PM-min.png instead of this Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 12.06.25 PM-min.png

Yea actually they have a  Suggestions department for people who have Legitimate (useful suggestions) like this.

I will mention that as Surprisingly not all users are high speed internet customers ( Wait first what is considered high speed now days?0

I remember high speed was 1500/768 at one time, Kbps that is.

would a 20 Mbps connection be high speed? or does it need to be like 200Mbps or higher? 

One of the guys on my team I help with setups lives outside of Spokane Washington (Rural area) and his internet is best he can get but nothing like what is available locally here.

My Parents live in a 55 and Older town in washington and all they can get is this company called Centurytel.net and to me seems they are stuck using the technology and speed from like 2005 

Ill make a suggestion to them and see what they say.

These are what I would consider good results. 

You may see toward the end that my home connection is worse than average.  Makes sense since we just got 16" of snow dumped on us and everyone in my neighborhood is at home on the Internet right now.  :-P

Edited by CA3LE
Ended up being 16" of snow

Sweet, 16" of snow pre turkey day, reminds me of when I was like 12 or 13, a long  long time ago. we would have thanksgiving at my grandmas and aunts and uncles and cousins would show up and we would play in the snow.

The disadvantage of cable is that fact correct the more people on the (Node) the slower it gets, 

Dose the Fibre optic type of service eliminate that or does it just get all bottle necked where those all connect?

I think we here in Milwaukie, Oregon we have 5 or 6 houses connected to 1 main cable out next to my tree , all our cables be it phone, internet/tv or electricity is underground in neighborhood but still I find xfinity seems to have outages times a year.