Help me Increase my download speeds! Is it because I use a USB Cable Modem?

popeoncoke

after the cable nut treak put in the CCS FILE:  cable_fast_9x

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 2641 Kbps about 2.6 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 322 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Mon Mar 21 08:00:28 PST 2005

Bottom Line:: 47X faster than 56K 1MB download in 3.18 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 76.15 % of your hosts average (rr.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-U6FDWJ72Y

this has increased by a lot, huh? 

But I want it faster its still not up to par. Lol - Any advice?  :D

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 630 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 77 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Mon Mar 21 08:01:34 PST 2005

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 13.3 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 110 % faster than the average for host (rr.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7AUOMNL93

this stayed the same, It seems I have one of the best upload speeds for road runner!  :lol:

Hey popeoncoke ...welcome to the forum.. :D

I'm no expert here but...yes a USB cable is slower than an ethernet cable...and if your running win98...you may not even be on a 2.0USB port. So if you can hook up with an ethernet cable it'll help...but I think you have more going on than just that... ;)

You're most certainly being limited by your USB Port... Despite having higher transmission speeds than what you're showing, USB 1.1 is 'burst happy' - it doesn't do sustained bandwidth very well. Time for a $15 trip to your local electronic store for a NIC. You really need it these days anyway.

Chris

well is USb the reason why my downloads are so slow?  and not up to par?

Why are my uploads above average....  My uploads seem to be really stable.

and what kind of NIC do I need?

will it even work with my old 533mhHP Pvailion beast of a computer?

alot of ppl have problems with USB, you can buy a PCI 10/100 NIC for 20 bucks

It will work very well with your PC

VanBuren :)

let me say while we're on the subject, utilizing a NIC very well may get you up to 3-3.5 mpbs, but realize that another limiting factor in the equation is your computer, it's awefully old.  if it hasn't been formatted as of late chances are you won't notice a differance anyway, and no matter what it's highly improbable you'll notice a change from 2.6-3.6 in browsing.

Chris

I think you all UNDER-ESTIMATE my computer. I browse pretty fast as it is. I just wanted to get the most out of this computer, I've had this computer for 6 years now and get the most out of Road Runner.  I have no need to buy a new  comp  to feed the hungry computer nerds out there and bad computer companys with terrible tech support.

You all seem to claim that the reason my download speeds aren't up to par is due to this old computer, and having my cable modem connected to USB.

but if that is the problem, then why are my upload speeds above the norm? Their literally 100 percent above the norm?  What explains the reason for that?  You'd think this computer couldn't handle so much uploading, but  considering there is only 6 other reports listed that had the same awesome results as me. Your guys reasoning doesn't make much sense to me.

I mean my uploads speed rock!

Can someone explain why my upload speeds rock more then most Road Runners who have newer technology computers? I mean if my computer and usb connected cable modem is the reason why my download speeds are  slower then norm....then wouldn't my upload speeds be so slow as well?

certainly.

Your upload speeds haven't reached the inherant speed liimits of usb 1.1 (approx. 2.5 mpbs sustained throughput)

i'm not saying your cmputer is a pos, (okay, truthfully, to meit is, but if it does what you need it to then it's not for your sake)

The deal is that you're not getting anything 'wonderful' by making your cable download 3 vs. 2.5- you really should just be happy that you have that wonderus upload that you're so stoked about.  The extra .5mbps download will probably not be noticed on downloading large files, (normally held back by server restraints) so really unless you're just questing for the fastest you can get, i'd leave it alone. If you are questiong for the best you can get from your provider, take the suggestions of hte members of the forum and get a network card.

Chris

guys, guys, I for one, had an HP pavilion (and still do!) for several years, at least 4, and loved the thing. win98, etc. mine came with a NIC though. yeah, don't use USB unless it's 2.0. your pc's motherboard probably doesn't even support 2.0. hmm...more ram never hurts...expensive though. yeah, just go to your local pc store, and get a nic card. maybe even take your cpu with you it it's not too much work to haul around lol...have you ever taken apart your pc? not too hard, just pull off one of the panels on the side if it's anything like my hp. what model of pavilion do you have? i have an 8575c. only 128 mb's of ram though...slow...;-)

ps--aparently, you are just getting a really fast upload speed from Road Runner. probably just the area your in, most other people don't get this fast from rr.com I guess. :)

I think you all UNDER-ESTIMATE my computer. I browse pretty fast as it is. I just wanted to get the most out of this computer, I've had this computer for 6 years now and get the most out of Road Runner.  I have no need to buy a new  comp  to feed the hungry computer nerds out there and bad computer companys with terrible tech support.

You all seem to claim that the reason my download speeds aren't up to par is due to this old computer, and having my cable modem connected to USB.

but if that is the problem, then why are my upload speeds above the norm? Their literally 100 percent above the norm?  What explains the reason for that?  You'd think this computer couldn't handle so much uploading, but  considering there is only 6 other reports listed that had the same awesome results as me. Your guys reasoning doesn't make much sense to me.

I mean my uploads speed rock!

Can someone explain why my upload speeds rock more then most Road Runners who have newer technology computers? I mean if my computer and usb connected cable modem is the reason why my download speeds are  slower then norm....then wouldn't my upload speeds be so slow as well?

isnt your topic "Help me Increase my download speeds! Is it because I use a USB Cable Modem?" we are trying to tell you what is best for for speed. NIC it the BEST way to connect not wireless or usb

:binkybaby: :binkybaby:

Your speeds with RoadRunner should be 5120/384 or 5120/512 for those few areas that did get upgraded to 512Kbps upload (Cincinnati, NY, etc.).  You may have been upgraded again (nothing I'm aware of, but it's not something RR openly advertises).  I wouldn't say your upload speeds rock by a longshot (ISP's are only now providing us with upload), but your download is actually maxing out the throughput of USB.  Mind you, USB is also very much software controlled, so the age of your computer, in this case, does have a negative affect on USB (this is actually an issue regardless of what computer you have, it DOES use system resources).  I'm kicking a dead horse here by saying buy a NIC, but I would highly suggest it.  With a NIC in there, however, your computers speed is way more than fast enough to max out a 5 Megabit connection.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-107&depa=0

There's an LNE100TX on NewEgg for 15$.  Great NIC's, I have one in my Debian network server right now so it's well supported by almost all OS's, too if you so decide to use it somewhere else in the future.  :)

Recently I was in the same situation the only diference is I have NIC. On my situation it only took me one phone call and they update my speed, because their system still showing their old advertise speed. Maybe that also can be your same situation

1109932642645_F16E6771_0205_442D_A069_4651F772970E.jpg

that thingy on the back looks like a nic card. it's got 2 ports on this model, hmm... :cool:

Looks like a modem to me. I doubt a nic would have 2 RJ-45 connectors. I could be wrong though

The Canada FCC type logo (I forget what it's called) is found on dial-up modems.