How can I speed up my internet, HUGHESNET...which is really,really slow...IF it works at all!!

Chelle69

• 4 weeks later...

I have been a customer since November 2019. They are horrible, honestly.  I have called twice a week or more since installed.   I have had my modem replaced( which they wanted me to pay for shipping and I absolutely refused.  Why would I pay more for service I'm not getting.) because they said I had data leaks. I would have nothing connected, and was losing .5-1gig in a 24 hour period. While on the phone with tech support, he saw me loose .3gb in an hour on the phone. During bonus time...we are good to get 1mb and maybe 3mb at best...because we download at that time. At 2am we can have 14mbps and a soon as we start downloading content, BOOM they throttle us back to 1-3mbps. When we are in our regular data usage time period...we usually get 9-10mbps at best. Usually it is less than 1mbps. I spend more time with tech support than I do actually using the internet. The screwy thing is...I have speed tests here clocked at 151mps and 70mps plus at times. Soo...they can supply you with more speed. They choose not to. We cannot get cable internet, our neighbors have it, but our driveway is over 1 mile long and we live In the sticks. So it was this or the other satellite provider. I just get tired of the excuses, and the tokens. Plus they tried to upsale me on a bigger plan lmfao. Because I really wanna pay them more.. for what we Already aren't getting. I wish I knew a fix, and the latency is ugh. I wanna know where my "Lightning Fast internet Speeds" are that they advertise. And there is that 2yr contract..got ya

13 hours ago, Robin Loraditch said:

I have been a customer since November 2019. They are horrible, honestly.  I have called twice a week or more since installed.   I have had my modem replaced( which they wanted me to pay for shipping and I absolutely refused.  Why would I pay more for service I'm not getting.) because they said I had data leaks. I would have nothing connected, and was losing .5-1gig in a 24 hour period. While on the phone with tech support, he saw me loose .3gb in an hour on the phone. During bonus time...we are good to get 1mb and maybe 3mb at best...because we download at that time. At 2am we can have 14mbps and a soon as we start downloading content, BOOM they throttle us back to 1-3mbps. When we are in our regular data usage time period...we usually get 9-10mbps at best. Usually it is less than 1mbps. I spend more time with tech support than I do actually using the internet. The screwy thing is...I have speed tests here clocked at 151mps and 70mps plus at times. Soo...they can supply you with more speed. They choose not to. We cannot get cable internet, our neighbors have it, but our driveway is over 1 mile long and we live In the sticks. So it was this or the other satellite provider. I just get tired of the excuses, and the tokens. Plus they tried to upsale me on a bigger plan lmfao. Because I really wanna pay them more.. for what we Already aren't getting. I wish I knew a fix, and the latency is ugh. I wanna know where my "Lightning Fast internet Speeds" are that they advertise. And there is that 2yr contract..got ya

I have the same issue with HughesNet. I have been with them since October of 2018. I've lost over 20 hours of my life in the last 14 months talking on the phone with someone who has no power to make a Command Decision. As you said, they just want us to pay more money to upgrade my system with more gigs! I'm already not getting what I'm paying for ! I still have Frontier Wi-Fi , Thank goodness I kept it. 9 months into my 2 year contract HughesNet talked me into another 2 years for 10 more gigs, like a dumb butt I did it.... I think they deliberately did that one to me.

Soooo , today I told them I want to cancel because they're not providing the service that I'm paying for.

The cancellation fee is $390. WTF

Good Luck, I doubt if you will ever get this resolved. I have been on Hughes Net since 2010 because I have no other choices. I have spent many hours fighting through their support structure.  Spent over a week back and forth with the highest level of support, tracking all kinds of stuff for them.  Never a solution.  Basically they keep giving me discounts because they cannot make their  speed commitment.   I saw 6.0 MB once in the last two years.  Typically I am below 1.0.  I range from 60KB to 300KB most of the time.  Switching to Gen 5 made no difference except I went over my data limit for the first time due to "leakage".  They sent another modem and fixed that.  I was finally told I am on Chan 10 in Oregon that is oversold and will never meet my speed expectation, then given another discount.  I recently sent a question in asking since my data rate was so slow, what would happen if I went over the limit and was throttled down.  Would my rate be less than the 300KB I get now?  The response was a survey asking if they had fixed my problem.  Naturally I raked them over the coals and sent a note telling them to answer the question not send a survey. They asked if they could contact me, I said yes.  Guess what no contact.  BTW, this problem has been on multiple devices through the 10 year period.  Right now I have 3 PCs all Windows 10 at the latest level.  Never attach more than one at a time.  My wife hooks up her Iphone now and then but does not leave it on, she continually dies trying to load pics from the kids because the data speed is so slow even on her phone.

• 1 month later...

My speeds with hughesnet are awful. Streaming at less than 1mbps. Calls to support are met by the typical bs line, they just don’t care. Under the current political administration consumers cannot rely on govt. intervention for assistance leaving consumers high and dry regardless of their ISP. 

• 3 weeks later...

Same story here.  1-2 mbps download speed consistently (told me it was 25 when signed up for the new 5th Generation).  Upload test sometimes crashes because it is so slow.  I have spent days now trying to get help .  All they say is that it has been "sent to engineering" and that they will call me back.  I only use them because there is no alternative in rural Pennsylvania and have had to use them for years.  Once I had to dig the trench for coaxial cable from dish to the house for their installers because the ground was "too hard".  Installer was about 20 years old, I'm over 60.    Hughes net is a provider of last and only resort.

21 hours ago, almack said:

Same story here.  1-2 mbps download speed consistently (told me it was 25 when signed up for the new 5th Generation).  Upload test sometimes crashes because it is so slow.  I have spent days now trying to get help .  All they say is that it has been "sent to engineering" and that they will call me back.  I only use them because there is no alternative in rural Pennsylvania and have had to use them for years.  Once I had to dig the trench for coaxial cable from dish to the house for their installers because the ground was "too hard".  Installer was about 20 years old, I'm over 60.    Hughes net is a provider of last and only resort.

That’s crazy having to dig the trench for them.

If they continue to bill you for service that is not provided, it can get their attention if you file a complaint with the FCC:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Some states have consumer protection bureaus that you can use as well, but mine refers broadband issues to the FCC.

In the past filing complaints seems to have attracted some attention. 

My download speed is slower than my upload speed. I have to type real slow on most pages as the response will not follow my typing speed. I have an old modem Ht1100 runs awhile then hesitates and usually has to be rebooted. My download speed is usually less than 1 Mb/sec and my upload speed is usually more than 1Mb/sec. Lots of times my Modem will have to be reset at the modem.

Hughes Speed Test.JPG

On 3/27/2020 at 12:24 PM, George Sumner said:

My download speed is slower than my upload speed. I have to type real slow on most pages as the response will not follow my typing speed. I have an old modem Ht1100 runs awhile then hesitates and usually has to be rebooted. My download speed is usually less than 1 Mb/sec and my upload speed is usually more than 1Mb/sec. Lots of times my Modem will have to be reset at the modem.

Hughes Speed Test.JPG

Post TestMy results

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest problem with Hughesnet is not the speed of their system it is the throughput.  Because of the limitations of their satellites, it causes a bottleneck especially during peak load times. Like taking a firehose and trying to squeeze that quantity of water through a 1/2 inch pipe.  Until they get more and better satellites it is unlikely things will improve especially as they add customers. 

• 1 year later...