Speed limits

Mobycore

Hello everyone,

I'm using testmy.net to check my mobile internet speed. 4G download speed goes never above 60 Mbps, while at the same time testing on other apps gives me about 110-120 Mbps. So, regarding this, I have multiple questions :

1. Just to be sure, testmy.net does download of some file from test servers, and converting that to throughput?

2. Are there any limitations regarding speed?

3. Why different file size gives different results?

4. Why automatic speed test (DL & UL combined) gives different result from when I'm doing download speed test and upload speed test separately? (I choose for example DL file size 30MB and UL file size 15MB in both cases) 

5. Is there a difference for testmy.net if I'm on 3G or LTE? Because for 3G upload, the max what I got is 3 Mbps. I was comparing upload speed of two phones and this is what I got (attached image).

Thank you in advance for your answers!

3gupload.png

Welcome Mobycore,

I think in the end you'll find that TestMy.net more closely represents your real world performance.

1 hour ago, Mobycore said:

1. Just to be sure, testmy.net does download of some file from test servers, and converting that to throughput?

I see that you've been testing with single thread, there's also a multithread speed test.  Other speed tests usually default to multithread. 

In single thread mode (default) the page itself becomes the file you're downloading.  In multithread a bunch of image elements are loaded.  In either case the data is random, generated by the program.  The transfer is timed and calculated Time/Size to arrive at the throughput.

2. Are there any limitations regarding speed?

Depends on the server and the connections between your computer and the host.  If your passing through a 1000 Mbps router/switch or if you're testing on one of my 1000 Mbps servers then that will limit you to 1000 Mbps.  I hope to have all servers upgraded to 10Gbps in the near future.

Upload has a limitation, due to the small test sizes.  But a multithread upload test is in development that no longer has those limitations.  If your upload speed is over 300 Mbps right now, you'll peg the current upload speed test.

3. Why different file size gives different results?

Different connections handle the different sizes differently.  Sometimes larger sizes allow the connection to warm up and average out higher.  I've seen others perform better on small bursts then get throttled.  TestMy.net can help you discover odd things like this because of the odd options it has.

4. Why automatic speed test (DL & UL combined) gives different result from when I'm doing download speed test and upload speed test separately? (I choose for example DL file size 30MB and UL file size 15MB in both cases) 

Let me know what browser you're using and the specs of your computer.  I need to look closer at both sets of results too.

5. Is there a difference for testmy.net if I'm on 3G or LTE? Because for 3G upload, the max what I got is 3 Mbps. I was comparing upload speed of two phones and this is what I got (attached image).

What did you get on LTE?  Set and identifier on each device.  It will help us keep better track of each one.  Go to https://testmy.net/mysettings and change the identifier.