Skewed test results...

Gabe1972

With the new test, I've noticed that, very often, the test will start part way in.  What I mean is, after choosing the test size, the screen changes to the test in progress, and it's always 10% or more into the test when this happens.  And that initial part that it seems to skip over has much higher speeds.  It skews my overall test average result because of it.  The old test hardly ever did this, but the new one does it nearly every time.  Is it because of the high latency with HughesNet?  

Is the old test still available to use?  It was much more accurate due to not doing this.  I actually have to run a number of tests to get one that has only a small amount of this skewing, and I then delete from My Results all of the ones that are worse.  

For example...

1559547943_Test1.JPG.592f33a66123bccc8359da8766fbae63.JPG

1797809724_Test2.JPG.7cae39954534a185712d77c14c5dfee1.JPG

295824268_Test3.JPG.d708b23114f040e61cbf307945a5181b.JPG

Go to the homepage and click "old version" at the bottom, run some tests and let me know when that's done so I can look closer at the results.

Note that the option only shows up if your window size is larger.

It's interesting, but it's doing it now with the old test, as well.  I had tried finding the old test to use again a few months back, but I couldn't find the option, so I thought it had been done away with.  I knew there the option had been, but I couldn't find it at the bottom anymore. 

I'll keep using the old one in the hopes that it stops doing it again.  

It looks like it started happening with my second Jan 11th test. 

There was a few month period where the option was no longer linked.

If you've added any browser extensions recently disable them and see if it improves.

When it spikes like that it can be because of software processing issues.  If an extension or the browser itself lags in the process it can manifest in a spike because the timing events are affected. 

I would compare different browsers, disable any browser extensions or modifications and also look at temporarily disabling any internet security software you may be running in the background and see if it has any affect.

Both versions haven't changed recently.  The tests are the same as always.

If this has popped up... something is causing it to happen.

Have you compared multiple computers?

9 hours ago, Sean said:

Which virus checker are you using? 

I have seen this before with Kaspersky, including its free version.  It appears to hold on to the incoming data as it analyses it, so when it releases it to the browser, this causes a spike like what you show. 

That's very interesting.  I do, in fact, use Kaspersky Security Cloud Free.  I had to switch to it when the Webroot I'd been using for nearly six years started causing lag issues with both my Windows 10 desktop and laptop. 

I'll try running a few tests later on this evening while Kaspersky is completely disabled/turned off and see what happens.  I tried two tests with it off just now and, while one did experience just a small amount of the issue, the other didn't at all.  Maybe pausing protection will be the same, as it would be easier to just pause when I run tests instead of shutting the whole thing down.

Thanks for the suggestion! 

10 hours ago, CA3LE said:

I would compare different browsers, disable any browser extensions or modifications and also look at temporarily disabling any internet security software you may be running in the background and see if it has any affect.

Have you compared multiple computers?

I've tried it with different browsers (Chrome, Edge (old and new), Brave and Firefox, and it's the same.  It's also the same with my desktop AND laptop.  However, I do have Kaspersky, as you'll see in my reply to Sean's post.  I'll try some tests with Kaspersky disabled (or paused) to see if there is a difference, though there does seem to be with the two I ran today.  :)

Well guys, it appears that Kaspersky may very well be the problem.  Though my speeds are pretty bad tonight, when I had Kaspersky disabled the issue wasn't there, and when I re-enabled it the issue was back.  So, now I know what's causing it.  

Thanks for the help!  I certainly appreciate it.  :)  

BTW, CA3LE, an odd thing.  When you click on Copy URLs on a share results page, both URLs copy.  I can't copy just one or the other.  When I try to, both are included.  It's odd.  

When I try to copy just one or the other, this happens automatically...

250195156_Screenshot(8).png.a3fa3a3b8496f834fe802462b53bf4fd.png

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 2:18 AM, Gabe1972 said:

BTW, CA3LE, an odd thing.  When you click on Copy URLs on a share results page, both URLs copy.  I can't copy just one or the other.  When I try to, both are included.  It's odd.  

When I try to copy just one or the other, this happens automatically...

Hey Gabe, made a little update to that.  There's a copy button now.

Before it was set to select the entire textarea when you clicked it.  Now you can make your own selection and copy like you normally do.  Or click 'copy' and it will copy the entire text area to your clipboard.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-14-at-3.16.43-PM--c.gif