Frontier FIOS Gigabit; ("as fast as 940/880 Mbps")

xs1

still trying to work out the bugs, but if you have FIOS by Frontier, CALL THEM!  ?

STORY TIME:

See, back in the day, when FIOS was owned by Verizon, the used to do periodic FREE speed upgrades for their customers. For example, when i signed up with FIOS (Verizon) i had the 25/5 package. After a bit, they upgraded their plans to symmetric. So we than got bumped to 25/25. A few years later, as FIOS became more popular, they upgraded us to 35/35 for free! No fuss , no muss. As time went on, there basic plan was 50/50. Again, upgraded at no charge! ->

After some time, many a year later..... Verizon decided they wanted to focus more on their wireless infrastructure, & get out of 65%(+) of their home networking side of things. ( Wireless is far more lucrative than home internet on many, many levels) They decided to SELL their FIOS to Frontier. Frontier is...... garbage to say the least. I dreaded reading this, as well as the day it would come to fruition...  The customer reviews even before they bought FIOS , were frightful to say the least. i was staggered by what was to come. ->

Hardware? Garbage. Network routing? Garbage. Customer Service? Garbage. Its a complete s*** show.  Log story short, after a couple of painful  years & many, many issues with routers, speeds, billing, credits, tech call outs, etc. i finally received the 500/500 plan.  I fought TOOTH & NAIL to get, because they kept telling me my area was not "provisioned to have such speeds". ->

Being on vacation this week, & on lock down to boot, i decided out of sheer boredom to call Frontier up & find out how much the 1 gigabit plan would run us, additional a month, seeing as how iv'e had the 500/500 for some time now.  Dumbfounded, i find out its only $10.00 more a month!!! FRONTIER wasn't planning on telling people this!? Why would they when they can provide ½ the speed & still charge you damn near the same amount for god knows how long. It used to be a $200 a month up-charge! So call! Find out! Don''t pay more if you don''t have to!

On a side note, same day after being "upgraded" to the gigabit speeds, i have a "tier 2" service ticket in because the download speeds are quite erratic. I'm sure after 2 to 3 months, they''ll get this corrected too.. ?

fiosgig.jpg

Edited by xs1

1 hour ago, Pgoodwin1 said:

I don’t know what kind of average and stability you should expect at those high speeds. Maybe someone with experience at those type speeds will chime in and comment. There’s a lot of things that have to be perfect to attain near-gigabit speeds. 

The upload is consistent. usually between 750-880. The download on the other hand can be as bad as 98 down, usually around 250. That's the issue. Same thing happened when we switched to 500/500. They over provision/overload their nodes typically, and that's a problem.

Edited by xs1

On 4/17/2020 at 10:11 AM, xs1 said:

The upload is consistent. usually between 750-880. The download on the other hand can be as bad as 98 down, usually around 250. That's the issue. Same thing happened when we switched to 500/500. They over provision/overload their nodes typically, and that's a problem.

Maybe with enough phone calls you can get them to route you differently. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 10:53 AM, Pgoodwin1 said:

Maybe with enough phone calls you can get them to route you differently. 

I eventually got a hold of a supervisor. He reluctantly admitted that with everyone on quarantine and at home streaming Netflix and whatnot, that my area is legitimately out of bandwidth. 

Once this is all over with, we;ll see if that's true. ?

7 hours ago, xs1 said:

I eventually got a hold of a supervisor. He reluctantly admitted that with everyone on quarantine and at home streaming Netflix and whatnot, that my area is legitimately out of bandwidth. 

Once this is all over with, we;ll see if that's true. ?

That's not surprising. I'm seeing the same at my data-center. They're running several 100Gbit connections, but they also host a bunch of infrastructure for Netflix and Hulu, and they told me that "due to the significant amount of traffic to several of our customers, you may see bandwidth impacts." I got another ticket this week that said they're recarving up their bandwidth to limit those two in particular. Going to be interesting to see how that goes.

• 2 months later...

I looked at your TestMy test results. They’re to three different test servers and a couple of multithreaded. What test server are you closest to? Run tome non-multithreaded tests to a TestMy server. I’m curious to see what speeds you get.

Sorry i was just doing some testing, they switched our area to Xpon and new ONT all kinds of changes. Was great for a couple days, now the upload is garbage... original problem was the download. Cant win with this company..

Edited by xs1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Speakeasy.net gives me the same reading every time within 1 or 2 mb's. Only here do they change drastically About every 5 reading 100 Mb's .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Speed Test Plus_ Internet Speed & Quality.html