Internet Speed drop since Stay at home ordered?

spudler_t

Has anyone else noticed from 25-40% drop in speed since the isolation has been ordered?

I remember seeing it somewhere and was thinking I must be lucky as my speed has been same till 3 days ago now I am about 50% of Xfinity advertised speed

and just wanted to get other members feedback thanks .

our HUGHESNET has always labored to provide even 50% of their advertised speed (100 Mbps). The current crisis has further degraded the availability of bandwidth.

Current averages are 11.53 download / 1.86 upload. Quite disappointing.

OUR Hughesnet is advertising up to 100 mbps. Before this Covid scenario, we got maybe 20 mbps download, 2 mbps upload. Now our averages are 11.53 dn/ 1.86 up, for most of the prime

use hours.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:48 AM, rchapman said:

OUR Hughesnet is advertising up to 100 mbps. Before this Covid scenario, we got maybe 20 mbps download, 2 mbps upload. Now our averages are 11.53 dn/ 1.86 up, for most of the prime

use hours.

Where did you see them advertising at 100 Mbps?  Post that if you can.

I see them advertising "25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload" on HughesNet FAQ

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.59.53 AM-min.png

But still... you're getting 50% of that.  Over the years I've stated in general that you should get at least 80% before complaining.  Which is 20/2.4 Mbps... right about where your speed was before.

With more people on their home connections right now than ever before one can only assume HughesNet capacity is being overloaded.

Hughes Net COVID-19 response

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 12.08.12 PM-min.png

But still... you're getting 50% of that.  Over the years I've stated in general that you should get at least 80% before complaining.  Which is 20/2.4 Mbps... right about where your speed was before.

Interesting how much I have forgotten over the years I remember this you said oMG back when I started using Testmy.net.

SO even when I was at my best connections (pre Pandemic) I was just hovering around the 78-80% range.

What IRKS me most is the blatant way Xfinity, and im sure others to push their speed tests and recommend you test to the closest server to your location (Then try to blame  the suns position, the Ethernet cable, my Gaming desktop with mega RAM, best NIC must be the problem I was so mad on time I asked the tech if next he was going to say since my cat was orangish colored that was the problem)as network traffic over distance will degrade or (Turn SLUG-ISH) When we all know every thing we search for download, stream, etc.  is always located as close to your location as possible correct?

I mean I must of been insane thinking I needed good speed and low latency to the servers in Boston since they are far from me

I am being super sarcastic BTW to those who may not realize this

• 1 month later...

I guess I went about it different. My first time getting sick and tired of Bandwidth Stealing was two decades ago. I put 15 of their engineers in the Federal Pen, 10- years each. That was including their head engineer. Since they've kept it up till now except for two months. 2 years ago I started running Networking Forensics once again. Last time FedCirc were the actual Federal Police who took it to court. This time The New York Legislators have been talking to Congress Woman Elise Stafanik, who I've been gibing this info to has set up the contact between me and the Legislature.  Sounds like you ad I been at it quite some time. I've got just over 40 years in now. Yea well before the Internet. And resistance is always proportional to the distance. Electronics in Physics fact. The longer the length the higher the resistance.

• 1 month later...

I am a HughesNet tech but, fortunately, I have wired broadband available. Most of my customers here on the West Coast are getting 20-30 Meg's down. Of course that's at 3:00 AM with a wired connection on a cloudless night when Jupiter aligns with Mars. There have been problems with the new Bird(EchoStar XIX)starting at approximately 6 months after coming online. One of the reasons is they over-sold bandwidth to the airlines for in-flight wi/fi. However none of us will ever know the real reason for it's lackluster performance. If you are on the old Bird, EchoStar XVII, it will be even worse. There are some router tweaks you can do to improve throughput. Remember: satellite Internet is for people who can't get anything else. At least until SkyLink comes online.

• 1 year later...

Xfinity Customer Greeting  "should be" :

Thank You for calling Xfinity!

We're not happy until you're NOT happy!!!  

Not to worry.  Our Super Duper Tech Support Team will address & repair ALL of your issues in a New York minute!!!

Hold please while I a run a quick test.  ...   ...   ...  Well there you go.  "Everything looks just fine"   You are all set.  Is there anything else I can help you with today?