Different download speed in Laptop and PC

JereSalo

Hello! I am having a problem with my download speed on my PC. If I make the test with my PC i get no more than 3 Mbps. But if I make the download test with my Laptop (Wireless and wired connection) or even with my cellphone it is higher. 

Laptop Wireless: Around 10 Mbps
Cellphone: Around 10 Mbps
Laptop Wired: Around 35 Mbps
PC (Wired): 3 Mbps

I don´t understand why is this happening. I can download stuff at 40 Mbps but I can't watch Twitch Streams at 1080p because it can't download more than 3 Mbps (I saw it on the task manager). But in the same platform (Twitch) I can watch videos at 1080p with no trouble (consuming of course more than 3Mbps). I scanned my PC for virus and nothing.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Thanks.

On 6/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, JereSalo said:

I don´t understand why is this happening. I can download stuff at 40 Mbps but I can't watch Twitch Streams at 1080p because it can't download more than 3 Mbps (I saw it on the task manager). But in the same platform (Twitch) I can watch videos at 1080p with no trouble (consuming of course more than 3Mbps). I scanned my PC for virus and nothing.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Is your laptop also Windows 10?  I'm trying to differentiate your results.  If you go to https://testmy.net/mysettings you can select an identifier.  Do this on your laptop and desktop to help sort the results.

Unless your problem has been resolved I'm going to guess that this is your laptop...

TestMy.net Test ID : Qdf6F52b4

... and this is your desktop...

TestMy.net Test ID : otO225XBt

Looks like you're in Buenos Aires, is that correct?

How old is that desktop computer?  Similar in age to the laptop?  Have you seen connection speeds that you'd expect to see using that computer in the past?

You mention antivirus... have you tried disabling all of that stuff to see if maybe that's the thing holding you back?

When all else fails you can try a refresh, reset or restore.  [Please read and understand what you're doing first.]  I would suspect software issues before I'd look to the controller, cables port or router. (based on the info you expertly provided)  Personally, I like to do a complete re-install of windows every 6 months to a year... even if I don't have issues.  As windows takes on some of the changes slated into the future I don't see this being necessary moving forward.  But right now... it still benefits from a fresh install.  Especially if you use that machine a lot.  Windows just becomes a steaming garbage pile after enough use...... again, I don't see this being an issue in the future with the changes windows has in the works.  But we aren't in the future, yet.   ... OSX and linux don't have that issue.  100% of my OSX fleet have never had the OS re-installed.  Some still working perfectly snappy for well over a decade.  My windows machines are constantly being re-installed, otherwise I feel it.

And I'm not anti-windows or pro-mac... in fact I have a big fat bar of black tape covering the glowing Apple logo on the laptop I'm using right now.  I'm just pro-having a computer that works correctly.  Windows has done that for me in the past, Apple does that for me in the present but I have no allegiance to either into the future.  If the SchwettyBalls Pro (or whatever) came out and made my job/life easier I wouldn't care what the name is... as long as it does exactly what I tell it to do better than the others.

Please let us know if this helps.

Hi! Thank you both for your help.

I solved this issue 2 days ago, I had a problem in my Windows 10 desktop and I investigated it for a few days till I found this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10694244/sending-data-from-windows-is-slow-over-any-network-with-high-latency-but-linux-i

I wrote this on my CMD: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
And it worked!

Now if I run the test on my desktop pc I have more than 30Mbps and before I had 3. I don't know why Windows was configured in that way.

Have a nice day and thank you for your time!

2 hours ago, JereSalo said:

I solved this issue 2 days ago, I had a problem in my Windows 10 desktop and I investigated it for a few days till I found this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10694244/sending-data-from-windows-is-slow-over-any-network-with-high-latency-but-linux-i

And it worked!

Now if I run the test on my desktop pc I have more than 30Mbps and before I had 3. I don't know why Windows was configured in that way.

Glad you got it working. LOL. Not a fix for your average Joe computer user

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2020 at 1:02 AM, JereSalo said:

And it worked!

Thank you SO much. This fixed my speed.
I had this problem over a year ago and ended up just reinstalling Windows to fix it. It came back and I was dreading doing that again :P

• CA3LE pinned this topic
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, kenpoq4 said:

Its hard to believe this site been a life this long the speed test are totally wrong. If you really want to know your speed go to speedtest.net 

Why is it that you believe what Speedtest.net is telling you? Because it gives you a higher speed and makes you feel better?

As an old hand to speed tests I will let CA3LE explain better if he wants to.

Comparing the speed tests between Testmynet & Speedtestnet is Apples & Oranges.

They are different types of data.

The data Speedtestnet uses is JAVA based unless that has changed & is easier to download.

So gives a higher speed but also a less accurate "Real world speed".

• 2 years later...

The difference in download speeds between a laptop and a PC can be attributed to several factors. Firstly, hardware disparities play a crucial role. PCs often have more powerful processors and network cards, allowing for faster data retrieval. Additionally, laptops may have limitations due to their compact size, leading to smaller antennas and reduced signal strength, especially in older or budget models.

Software can also affect download speeds. Background processes, applications, or bloatware running on laptops can consume bandwidth, slowing down downloads. PC users have more control over their system's resources, enabling them to optimize for faster downloads.

Edited by CA3LE
font color didn't play well in dark-mode

• 3 weeks later...
  • CA3LE unpinned this topic