macOS Big Sur is a Fat Turd.

CA3LE

More on that later.

I would have warned you earlier but it's destroyed so much, my time has been consumed.  Time to reinstall macOS for the first time ever.  Or maybe not...

They broke this on purpose.

My Late 2014 5K iMac is now vintage, right after the "upgrade".

F#?k you Apple.  Time to build a new rig.

... I have NEVER seen such a steaming pile of shit as this release.  It has completely crippled everything I loved about my computer.  Luckily I only installed this on one machine.  Unluckily it's my favorite one.

Just randomly freezes in ways I've NEVER seen a mac freeze.

DO NOT UPDATE TO BIG SUR!

Unless you like to destroy perfect things.

I thought I could reinstall a bunch of programs and make it work.  It's actually just getting to the point of unusable, more bugs as time goes on.  With normal things like Chrome, VLC.. even Terminal has frozen my system, shortly after a reboot.  To the point of complete lock up for minutes.  iMac w/ maxed out specs, reduced to total and complete garbage.  Ran perfectly stable, no reboots ALL YEAR before this update. 

I just have to reinstall and start fresh with macOS Catalina again... and I guess that's it for my machines.  No more updates, they're vintage junk to Apple now.  Lesson learned.

Maybe just time to rebuild.  100% Linux.  I'll start with Apple hardware I already own... and I guess - build away.  Bye Apple.  You no longer love me, you never did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The worst thing I have ever done "Upgraded to bigSUR. It has been a massive mistake. Mac has gone from being a half decent machine to a dust collector. Takes an age to boot etc. Fortunately I have my old trusty Windows 10 which leaves the Mac as a huge paperweight.

Very disappointed, my first and last Mac of any description iMac Retina 5k  3GHz 6 core Intel i5 40 GB ram

Edited by DisappointedStan
adding machine info

My Win10 system boots in like 15s (with the SAS bootstrapping), my iMac takes like 35s with the "Fusion Drive" (it's a late-2015). To be fair the Win10 machine is 3 SSD's for the OS / data, and an enterprise SAS card for the other data.

I haven't done the Big Sur update but Catalina is slow as f- on this thing. I dunno if it's because I open a bunch of stuff that basically stays open forever, or maybe Docker is being an arse, but seems like I'm always at like 20% CPU usage with iTerm2, Mail, Messages, Brave, Atom and VS Code open. I do think Docker is involved, though. (No running containers but docker is a POS anyway.)

• 2 months later...