Appreciation of testmy.net

AenionRex

Hi

I only recently found testmy.net, and I'm actually blown away that this site isn't a subscription service or running ads. Can everybody stop for a minute and appreciate this? My account is only a couple hours old so I've only really just begun to use the app, but it is very clear to me the amazing value you are providing. I'm a software/web developer by trade and have enough familiarity (far from an expert but not a babe in the woods) with whats going on under the hood here to be impressed and grateful for a diagnostic tool of this scope.

I have some questions though. I hope you don't mind.

1) I was reading through the FAQs about speed test inflation from other services to benefit the ISP providers. I noticed the posts are dated 2012 so I'm curious about the current state of these matters. For instance, flash is dead. Surely, people can't still be using flash for speed tests can they? This is a big broad question, but what is the current landscape for speed tests and do you still see the type of collusion between tests and ISPs describe in the FAQ?

2) In tandem with the above: Since the time of those posts, have any other speed test tools come around that are reliable, in-depth, and don't inflate stats?

3) How is this site funded? With so many servers offered, an active user base eating up bandwidth with tests, server space for the database and software code, and the investment in maintaining this app costs are bound to stack up.

4) This question is a bit tangential to the above and outside of the expertise displayed by the tools here, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. Is it theoretically possible to create a testing tool for LTE equipment (4g/5g reliant devices) that diagnoses a device's connection to cell towers in an analogous manner to testmy.net's diagnosis of internet connectivity issues? I have been working with SIM card accepting routers, CAT 12 modems, Goldenob firmware, and parabolic antennas to connect to cell towers recently and I would kill the pope's brother for a comparable tool. Diagnosing connectivity between the hardware and the cell towers can be a face-shreddingly grueling process, sometimes lasting months. Even in the best cases its decently involved.

Judging by the forums, people aren't always happy you're telling them their connection is slower than they thought. So, thanks again for doing this sometimes thankless work.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:16 PM, AenionRex said:

For instance, flash is dead. Surely, people can't still be using flash for speed tests can they?

Some wording across the site could use some updating. I run every aspect of TMN alone. I rotate through different tasks and have to shift mindset to do each. I should be getting to the text site-wide after my next programming phase which I'm just about to start.

Since the time of those posts, have any other speed test tools come around that are reliable, in-depth, and don't inflate stats?

Not sure. I tend to focus on what I'm building here. I'm far from finished.

How is this site funded? With so many servers offered, an active user base eating up bandwidth with tests, server space for the database and software code, and the investment in maintaining this app costs are bound to stack up.

Yeah, it definitely isn't free for me to run TestMy.net. I currently fund myself with ads. You can also donate. I may be exploring other options in future releases.

Is it theoretically possible to create a testing tool for LTE equipment (4g/5g reliant devices) that diagnoses a device's connection to cell towers in an analogous manner to testmy.net's diagnosis of internet connectivity issues?

Sure, of course... I believe anything is possible.

One method I might try to get immediate results would be to find an app for mapping cell towers. Maybe there's one out there that logs each occurrence when you switch towers. Then run TMN normally as you would and combine the data to provide the picture you're after.

If you can detect the information (like which cell tower you're using) then you can log it.

I'm working to create APIs that developers can use to extend the functionality of TMN through their own applications. One of them may be to enable tagging where you could send a simple command to TMN to log additional parameters. You could then query your results using those tagged parameters to do all sorts of useful things.

Judging by the forums, people aren't always happy you're telling them their connection is slower than they thought.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices that. I don't blame people, other sites often paint a very different picture than mine. No other site works like TestMy.net and I'm very proud of that. Discrepancies between TMN and other test results always have a logical explanation. TMN, is correct. Sometimes people listen, identify and fix their issue, get back up to speed and thank me.

People usually only like the truth when it favors them.

I could be like my competition, there are a lot of things I can do to make results more favorable without necessarily lying to you. People might like their results more and my site may get shared (ISPs especially would share TMN more) more but I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that it's BS.

TestMy.net is far from perfect, but it's the only speed test I know of that has been 100% developed by a consumer, with no special interests. I have no bias. Score high, score low -- what matters to me is that the result reflects your real-world experience so you can improve.

So, thanks again for doing this sometimes thankless work.

You're very welcome. I hope you stick around.

Sorry it took me time to respond, you hit me up as I was driving cross country. I like to sit at my proper console to respond to messages like yours.

If they gave out medals for best speed test site you would get the gold medal . My favorite place too find out my real speed . Don't forget the biggest thing that may run one or 2 tests is Internet congestion . Take at lest 10 tests throw out 1 or 2 low ones and there is your average . Internet congestion will always be there to ruin your test, no matter where you go on the net . Especially when a site is having a sale .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    https://testmy.net/HZcrp3HH9.png