Automatic repeating speed test (but generated at random intervals)

Hello

I have been using testmy net many times namely to illustfate to my provider Virgin that they do not perform any where near their headline speeds offered across their contracts. Submitted 6 months data of regular auto test results but their response was

1 We cannot accept results form such as testmy.net. I advised them that if I were to lodge a breach of contract under Consumer legislation, that "defense" would not be accepted and they would have to show why. To my knowledge no provider be it internet services or the kit can ignore proffesional test results presented and based on an accepted industry method of measurement.

2 A curious reaction. Where the average had been at 40% of the headline rate it climed to just around 50%. Now that I am not checking it over the past few months the average has dropped to below 35% unless and until I persist with an auto test running in background. THat keeps the speed up. Without that it drops to 5 and less.

3 I  suspect Virgins veracity and would like to check' persistantly and at random ( rather than regularliy every 10 minute, 30minutes or say 2 hours,,,,)? 

How can that be done ?

Regards

John Perreur-Lloyd

• 9 months later...

@japlah I'm sorry I didn't see this when you posted it. I may have been programming.

@charles leclair thank you for finding this topic.

I think a random interval is a great idea for an automatic speed test option. I'll get that implemented and hit you back on this topic. I'll try to get to it sometime today or tomorrow. I'm going to think about it a little bit first.

- D

On 5/24/2022 at 12:03 PM, CA3LE said:

@japlah I'm sorry I didn't see this when you posted it. I may have been programming.

@charles leclair thank you for finding this topic.

I think a random interval is a great idea for an automatic speed test option. I'll get that implemented and hit you back on this topic. I'll try to get to it sometime today or tomorrow. I'm going to think about it a little bit first.

- D

I look forward to that thank you