I hope for some help here.

91Wagovanman

Lets start with the Necessities. I am on HughesNet. I have three devices attached to the system. First is a Roku TV, it is connected through the Wifi on the 5 Ghz channel, and is about 10 feet from the router with only a Drywall wall between it and the router. (it gets less than 1Mbps Down) Second is an Xbox, also connected to the router through the 5 Ghz channel (it gets about 2.2 Mbps down). Third and more important to me then the other two. I have a PC Hardwired to the router with a Cat5e cable (about a 50' run)and on it, I am getting an average of 4.6 Mbps Download speeds and 467Kbps Upload speeds.

My question is this, Are there any ways I can raise my speeds on my end? ie.. Configuring the router differently, changing my PC settings somehow. I dont do much on my PC other then try to watch Twitch and play World of Warcraft. Occasionally I will watch YouTube. So Guys (and gals) is there anything I can do to improve my performance?149685871_Uploadspeed.thumb.png.d472d8c23993ffa8c4fbde7390c87711.png

1 minute ago, spudler_t said:

Well maybe first what is your supposed Speed Tier ( What does HughsNet Say your speeds are supposed to be? I,E, Im on Xfinity mine is 1200Mbps/35Mbps)

So we need to compare what you are supposed to be running at compared to what you are seeing in the results

I am supposed to be getting 25 Mbps Down and 3 Mbps Up. They told me these would be my minimum speeds. I have only been with HughesNet for a week. I recently had Windstream as well they said I would get Up to 50Mbps down and 12 Mbps up but my average with them was 16 Down and 1.2 Up.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:02 AM, 91Wagovanman said:

I am supposed to be getting 25 Mbps Down and 3 Mbps Up. They told me these would be my minimum speeds. I have only been with HughesNet for a week. I recently had Windstream as well they said I would get Up to 50Mbps down and 12 Mbps up but my average with them was 16 Down and 1.2 Up.

Personally i turned off QOS on my router and it almost doubled my Wi-Fi speeds. As far as overall internet bandwidth, any satellite connection will unfortunately struggle which im sure you are aware. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, 91Wagovanman said:

What is QOS?

"Quality of Service (QoS) is used to set up priority to specific devices, services or applications within the network through the router, so that the maximum amount of available throughput and speed can be used."

https://www.linksys.com/support-article?articleNum=137079

QoS allows you to prioritize bandwidth for specific clients, services or programs.

Basically it takes your connection and allocates bandwidth to your target machine before the rest of the network.

For example, you might want to prioritize your hardwired PC, you say that's most important. But others may want their VoIP or xbox to take priority.

I played with QoS in the early days but I've never had a real need for it. My connections are usually top tier.

If your connection is under 50 Mbps (obviously yours is) then QoS might not just help... it might be necessary.

Here's a good guide on the subject >> https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/ (the ads are extremely painful and they link to the wrong test but good information on QoS options and features)

If your router doesn't support QoS I'd recommend the Netgear Nighthawk AC1750. You can get them as cheap as $35 used. Search the Nighthawk AC1750 manual for QoS (page 49)

Having explained that. It looks like you've had a little improvement. But it's still spotty.

91Wagovanman's Speed Test Results

Maybe weather or dish placement are be to blame. What does HughesNet have to say?

You should run an automatic speed test. Here's some settings I might try for your connection. (Considering the bandwidth limitations and data cap.)

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 10.41.07 AM-b.png

A longer test will give us more information. 

14 hours ago, CA3LE said:

If your connection is under 50 Mbps (obviously yours is) then QoS might not just help... it might be necessary.

Believe it or not, when I purchased my Asus RT-AX82U router, configured everything & was up and running, my speeds were consistently 500/500. For the life of me I SWORE my ISP  screwed up and dropped my tier. Every site, same results..... the most stable 500/500 id evert seen. 😅  I did some google research to see if anyone else had experienced this. in the mean time, I unplugged the main from the router and put it directly to my pc. speeds now were 960/950.😨

So I was like "s**t whys the router so slow.... it was supposed to be a serious gaming router..."  Sure enough I found a post where someone stated to "turn off "QOS" & speeds will double!"   Surely it couldn't be that easy....?  Yes. Yes it was that easy. As soon as i turn off QOS my speeds returned to normal Gigabit, even over Wi-Fi, across the entire home. 

:shrug:

I looked at my router settings, QoS is supported but it is turned off. So if I turn it on, how do I give my PC (which is hardwired) more bandwidth than let's say my Xbox? I only have three things hooked up. (In order of importance) My PC, A Roku streaming TV and an Xbox. I don't live stream from my Xbox so I only use the network for the occasional game download or update. The PC and TV are my main concerns.

Unfortunately, I am in Mississippi for work until Sunday. I will be back in Georgia and able to adjust any settings you suggest at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @91Wagovanman, sorry you didn't get a response back sooner -- send me the model number of your router so I can guide you.

Here's a link I found that may help. How to prioritize QOS in an HT Series Satellite Internet Modem/Router! -- may be similar enough to give you an idea.

This may or may not help in your situation. The thing is, the bandwidth still needs to be there in the first place. If you're getting under performance for other reasons it will have no effect. 

For testing, I would just eliminate everything you can from the equation. Temporarily connect only the modem, wired directly to the computer if possible. If you can, bypass the router. If the router is built in, reset it so everything is kicked off the wifi.

Once you've tested for a period and proven that the issue exists without the added variables, it would help if you had a second computer to then run the same tests on but not necessary.

If you're still experiencing patterns of slowdown maybe HughesNet support can help. Maybe it's an alignment issue.

The point is, if you're still having the issue after removing the other variables... QoS won't help.

How long have you had HughesNet for? Do you get any cell service to your home?