Wireless router thoughts

mudmanc4

Personally, I always use Netgear.

I might try the RAX30 -- on sale for $130 right now https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-5-Stream-Router-RAX30/dp/B09BK8PM1M/ -- get a used one fro $84.

For mesh, I have one of the early Orbi systems.  Very reliable.  I haven't seen any reason to upgrade.  Got my 10G network on the side so I use it more for wifi and base level router.

RBR50 and RBS50 go for less than $80 on eBay.  RBR50 is the router and RBS50 is the satellite unit.  If I had a lot of square feet to cover and wanted nice reliable wifi across the entire area I'd definitely get these again.

Significant leaps have been made since but to get the same coverage with an AX system will cost WAY more.  And do you really need it?

Personally, my fastest devices are all hardwired.  I don't care as much about wifi.  Wifi I have is fast enough and works reliably.  I value reliability and consistency most.

I recently went to my brother-in-law's who has fiber and wifi6.  It was cool, extremely fast right in his main area.  But then I go upstairs and was getting much slower speed, I mean I was directly above the router, just the floor blocking. 

I'd rather cover my entire home with a slower stable connection than have one hot spot and a variable/poor connection everywhere else.  Especially if I can save money at the same time.

To be clear, he has a decent connection everywhere, I just think an RBR50 and RBS50 would cover it better for less money.  And for most people's daily use... they'd never tell the difference, speed wise.

Hell, get the RBR50 and RBS50... then connect a used RAX30 for wifi6 capabilities for the (near by) devices you want to be really fast.  Probably get all 3 on the secondary market for like $220.

Bang for your buck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 11:38 PM, CA3LE said:

Hell, get the RBR50 and RBS50... then connect a used RAX30 for wifi6 capabilities for the (near by) devices you want to be really fast.  Probably get all 3 on the secondary market for like $220.

Bang for your buck.

...Or get the RT-AX82u & have unbelievable speeds in the entire home, (up to 2000 sq ft & 30+ devices), Dual Band WiFi 6, Mesh WiFi, Gaming Port, Adaptive QoS, Port Forwarding, Ai-Protection for under $150? :shrug:      😅

I can pull over 800 sym. throughout the entire house, and over 600 in the garage/driveway. 

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AX82U-Dual-Band-Acceleration-Dedicated/dp/B08QDHR4KJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=37XTU0675H20N&keywords=RT-AX82U]\&qid=1676173556&sprefix=rt-ax82u%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-2

12 hours ago, xs1 said:

...Or get the RT-AX82u & have unbelievable speeds in the entire home, (up to 2000 sq ft & 30+ devices), Dual Band WiFi 6, Mesh WiFi, Gaming Port, Adaptive QoS, Port Forwarding, Ai-Protection for under $150? :shrug:      😅

I can pull over 800 sym. throughout the entire house, and over 600 in the garage/driveway. 

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-AX82U-Dual-Band-Acceleration-Dedicated/dp/B08QDHR4KJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=37XTU0675H20N&keywords=RT-AX82U]\&qid=1676173556&sprefix=rt-ax82u%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-2

I went ahead with the ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400

Great price on that open box, It's for my Dad, updating from an older netgear, where they don't have all that many devices.

If this thing gives him trouble I'll mimic my home network to some extent.