Beta Testers Welcome

CA3LE

Beta Testers Welcome  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Want to be invited to Beta Test?

• Yes
    • Definitely.

This poll is closed to new votes

I have some new tools coming out!  And I mean NEW!

If you'd like to get an invite when a new Beta is available simply vote on this topic.

Currently no ETA but development is moving quickly.

I'd like people who are willing to provide feedback but it's not necessary.  Just running the program will give me a lot of useful information.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, happy to give it a try.  At some point I was getting overwhelmed by my sensor notifications, so some control of when and if to get an email notification would help.

I'm also struggling a bit not knowing if some of the problems I'm seeing might be on my end, and not sure if there might be some way for me to evaluate this, other than rebooting and resetting my modem to see if everything clears-up.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, CrazyAboutNature said:

Yes, happy to give it a try.  At some point I was getting overwhelmed by my sensor notifications, so some control of when and if to get an email notification would help.

I'm also struggling a bit not knowing if some of the problems I'm seeing might be on my end, and not sure if there might be some way for me to evaluate this, other than rebooting and resetting my modem to see if everything clears-up.

Thanks.

There's a setting for that.  Looked like genuine blips and outages from what I could see.  You'd run find for a while then have bursts of outages... then run fine again for days.

Keep in mind, the entire time I'm running the same exact sensor as you are, 24/7/365.  Mine only goes off when my connection is down.  While I was watching yours go down mine was running perfectly.

Hopefully those issues clear up for you.  Your testing with My Sensor gave me a lot of insight, I'll keep developing on that program.  I can't wait to share that, but when it's ready.

This beta is unrelated to My Sensor.  It's for everything else.

It's also very close.  Really, I could have you all start playing with it today.  But the same could have been said a month ago and I've probably written 4X more code since then.  Truth is, it's never finished.  But at some point I need to let you guys play with it.  :-P 

I'm just getting to the point where it's so predictable it's boring.  Which is good, it's doing what I expect... every time.  Running in my lab conditions, it should do that.

So it's getting very close.

For anyone reading this, I want to provide a little context.  May 2019 @xs1 requested an upload test that would more accurately test his extreme upload speed.  100 MB single thread has its limitations.  I've done a lot to make it work better (especially since 2019) but a different test is needed.  So slept on it, then promptly built a new proof of concept.  @xs1 probably remembers me telling him that I made a concept and that I'd work on getting it developed into the site.

Then Clown World 2020 happened and turned the world upside down.

I kept going back and looking at the concept, but it's hard to write when everything around all of us is burning.

My timestamps show that I started editing the file again on Feb 12th 2023.  And since then I've completely rebuilt the speed test from the ground up.  I retained important methods and methodology that make TestMy.net unique but built it all around entirely new framework.  Past re-builds have been forks of the original... the new version is a fork of the proof of concept I built for @xs1, peppered with the original.  Starting at line 0.

That one file is now branches of easy to maintain resources and it's final integration was super smooth.  Smoothest ever.  Things I didn't plan for all just happened to line up perfectly.  Integrated with the legacy auto test, database results and email notification system easily.

Of course each version is supposed to be better than the last but I feel this one is so far advanced compared to my past releases... the improvements are night and day but it still feels like TestMy.net.  I feel like if I just visited for the first time and knew nothing about computers... I'd understand what was happening.  Where the current version, I'm not so sure.  Something that's hard for me to judge because I built it.

So everything new with the upcoming beta was built in less than 2 months.  A totally insane, super fun 2 months.  I've learned so much.  Thanks @xs1

I really hope you all enjoy the fruit.  My best programming yet.

I'll start making the beta group official and get this released for you all to test very soon.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:19 AM, CA3LE said:

If you'd like to get an invite when a new Beta is available simply vote on this topic.

I'd like people who are willing to provide feedback but it's not necessary.  Just running the program will give me a lot of useful information.

I want in. Please.

12 hours ago, CA3LE said:

There's a setting for that.  Looked like genuine blips and outages from what I could see.  You'd run find for a while then have bursts of outages... then run fine again for days.

Keep in mind, the entire time I'm running the same exact sensor as you are, 24/7/365.  Mine only goes off when my connection is down.  While I was watching yours go down mine was running perfectly.

Hopefully those issues clear up for you.  Your testing with My Sensor gave me a lot of insight, I'll keep developing on that program.  I can't wait to share that, but when it's ready.

This beta is unrelated to My Sensor.  It's for everything else.

It's also very close.  Really, I could have you all start playing with it today.  But the same could have been said a month ago and I've probably written 4X more code since then.  Truth is, it's never finished.  But at some point I need to let you guys play with it.  :-P 

I'm just getting to the point where it's so predictable it's boring.  Which is good, it's doing what I expect... every time.  Running in my lab conditions, it should do that.

So it's getting very close.

For anyone reading this, I want to provide a little context.  May 2019 @xs1 requested an upload test that would more accurately test his extreme upload speed.  100 MB single thread has its limitations.  I've done a lot to make it work better (especially since 2019) but a different test is needed.  So slept on it, then promptly built a new proof of concept.  @xs1 probably remembers me telling him that I made a concept and that I'd work on getting it developed into the site.

Then Clown World 2020 happened and turned the world upside down.

I kept going back and looking at the concept, but it's hard to write when everything around all of us is burning.

My timestamps show that I started editing the file again on Feb 12th 2023.  And since then I've completely rebuilt the speed test from the ground up.  I retained important methods and methodology that make TestMy.net unique but built it all around entirely new framework.  Past re-builds have been forks of the original... the new version is a fork of the proof of concept I built for @xs1, peppered with the original.  Starting at line 0.

That one file is now branches of easy to maintain resources and it's final integration was super smooth.  Smoothest ever.  Things I didn't plan for all just happened to line up perfectly.  Integrated with the legacy auto test, database results and email notification system easily.

Of course each version is supposed to be better than the last but I feel this one is so far advanced compared to my past releases... the improvements are night and day but it still feels like TestMy.net.  I feel like if I just visited for the first time and knew nothing about computers... I'd understand what was happening.  Where the current version, I'm not so sure.  Something that's hard for me to judge because I built it.

So everything new with the upcoming beta was built in less than 2 months.  A totally insane, super fun 2 months.  I've learned so much.  Thanks @xs1

I really hope you all enjoy the fruit.  My best programming yet.

I'll start making the beta group official and get this released for you all to test very soon.

You are a gentleman & a scholar, sir. :) 

Honestly, since I joined TMN back in the stone ages, THIS is why I love this site. @CA3LE , D,  you are one of the most devoted site owners I've ever met. I've run websites, forums, hosted game & P2P servers, speed test servers (from home) etc. & I have yet to find a more "human" proprietor than you. To be able to speak directly with the mad man, via forum messenger, AOL IM (lol) or hit you up on text... is mind blowing. Modest/humble as @CA3LE is, testmy.net is no small website. The forums, sadly, could be more active... but the website is KNOWN. From your average pc user/builder, to mega corporations, rely on testmy.net for accurate & impartial networking testing & troubleshooting! I do digress, once again to have a real friendship, & leader such as @CA3LE has been an honor... well before I even joined the forums in...... '04(??) 

Thank you again D, for all that you do & continue to improve on. You are the real MVP! <3

image.thumb.png.07c48c1189a7c446cb0e712f34494686.png

tmn.thumb.jpg.72ac433dc23070acd43bc2ead7798451.jpg

Edited by xs1

Thank you for all the kind words.  I'm flattered.

@xs1 You're definitely one of my OG members.   #522!  You've been a big part of pushing me to make things better and I appreciate every bit of it.

Isn't that funny, I still use a similar shade of orange.

And look at that crappy RG-59 cable connector, yuck!  lol.  Back when I used the test to do my job better installing people's cable.  A few months later I lost all of that code and had to rewrite everything.  Had that happen a few times early on because storage was lame back then, also switched from perl to php around 2004 which required a total rewrite.

I think the new version is my 4th rewrite but I'm not sure.  One thing is certain, it is my best.  And I can't wait to share it with you.

- D

As I've said before, I don't build this site... I just try to put it "on paper".  You are truly the ones building it with your feedback.

1996 is when it all started by the way.  Wish I still owned the old domain name, swapped it out in 2001 and then let the old one expire on accident. 

Guys, I've been building this 27 years!  It's still only 2% of the vision, which continues to evolve over time.

Hopefully the new version gets in front of even more eyes and with the new visuals more people understand what we're trying to show them here.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've been using testmy.net at work for years, but somehow never signed up or even realised there was a forum...  We recently regraded to a gigabit & noticed that testmy.net was only seeing <300 Mbps.  Meanwhile Ookla recommended moving to their windows/macOS app for more accurate results above 100 Mbps.  I'm interested to see if your new beta is an app, or all web based.  Meanwhile our ISP is suggesting i-perf should get us more accurate results than Ookla, I'm happy to share the results and any feedback.

1 hour ago, Aqueum said:

Hi, I've been using testmy.net at work for years, but somehow never signed up or even realised there was a forum...  We recently regraded to a gigabit & noticed that testmy.net was only seeing <300 Mbps.  Meanwhile Ookla recommended moving to their windows/macOS app for more accurate results above 100 Mbps.  I'm interested to see if your new beta is an app, or all web based.  Meanwhile our ISP is suggesting i-perf should get us more accurate results than Ookla, I'm happy to share the results and any feedback.

Hi Aqueum,

Yeah, maybe I should put the forum more prominently in the menu.  Used to be front and center.

The new version is web based.  I never want to require you to install anything, ever.  I don't think it's necessary.  Especially now, with the advancement of browser technologies, opening native APIs to the web.  Web applications can now access the GPU directly, I mean come on. 

All I know, I have no problem working within the web's framework.  The capabilities today blow me away.  With the right software and internet connection you actually won't need any native applications in the future.

Been developing heavily on it, performs really well on every device I've tested on.

I'm getting close.  It's powerful and I think it's pretty amazing what it can do.  All with just a simple, light web application. 

With over a dozen options you'll be able to control and tinker with the way the test operates, altering the flow and rendering.  I made the options for myself in testing, I was going to stick with what worked best.  But I feel it's better to just let you control it all.  With default recommended settings you can revert quick and easy but still have control to experiment however you'd like.  There are some pretty powerful option combinations that can really kick your browser into overdrive.

Since you voted on this topic, you'll be invited by email when I'm ready for you to try it.

For now, my release version (2018) still does the job.  Many of the tricks the new version uses were discovered in developing the current version.

If you have the bandwidth, you should be able to show it with TestMy.net.  TMN has the bandwidth and dozens of servers that do only one job.  You just might have to coax it out by altering how the test pulls the data, by using multithread.

First, I recommend testing under your new username.  Run a few combined tests, then click the "multithread" toggle at the top of the screen (e.g. says 'Multithread off' in my screenshot).  Run a few more tests, you may see improved results using this method because it combines multiple downloads and multiple servers together (the new version does this for both upload and download tests).  Then go to mirrors (quickly select at the top of the screen by clicking "Testing [locale name]" e.g. CA3LE Testing Colorado Springs, CO)

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 2.38.28 PM.png

Repeat testing on a couple of mirrors to compare how you perform to different locations.

I pull only 400-500 Mbps using TestMy.net's Linear (single thread, transferring a single file) method, 700-900+ when I multithread.  Other's like @xs1 regularly pull over 800-900 Mbps here using Linear.  He used to only be able to do that with multithread... then one day, POOF!  It magically bumped up.  TestMy.net's servers and software were the same, pretty sure his computer and network were the same... then, poof, it just worked better.  A variable had to change somewhere.

TestMy.net Test ID : xwB2N5GI9.Onniz66P7

My opinion since the beginning, the single thread Linear result is the one you want score high on.  Comparing the two gives you deeper insight.

I see i am already listed as a Tester Beta 🤘 So curious what # I am on the member list, I know I had to have started using your tools like 2001 or 2002. I do know I had lost my Original Login and password Between 2005-2010 when I had stopped using a computer or actually had one die and no money to replace it

I have always been Huge fan of your site and the tools that you provide to allow us to have some data to show the ISP's when they are full of (Expletive Deleted)

Thank you so much 

Plus I am super pumped for the new release as you may remember I do a Boat Load of iRacing races (Well have from 1-1-19 to 3-6-23. (Health issues and a shortage on my medications I have to take)

With iRacing Being such a large Online Motorsports Simulator Making Sure not only is your Speed correct (as the ISP is claiming and charging you for) But I see a lot of People get Dropped from Sessions due to either Upload or Download Packet Loss. I Believe it is a latency Issue most times (Ping) So I am Like Weekly telling someone to come to this site to do the testing not the One that the ISP tries to cram down your Ethernet Throat.

I am so grateful for the ability to go pull past results and have the hard data at hand or in a format I can send the ISP to show speed issues and how I know It is not on my end.

Edited by spudler_t

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, phred said:

How can I check out the Beta?

Since you voted (above) on this topic you'll get an invite when I'm ready. 

I know I've said this a few times already but I'm getting close.  There are just a lot of details to a release like this one.

9 hours ago, phred said:

What are the system requirements?

Same as TestMy.net currently, works on all modern devices you only need a web browser.  As expected, better specs return better results.

I'm super excited to share it with you.  I think it will help a lot of people better understand what we do differently here.  There is no other speed test like it.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:19 AM, CA3LE said:

I have been a Google painted tester for several years now, with countless hours under my belt as well as detailed logs of any errors as well as any positive info regarding the apps I'm trusted to beta test. Look forward to your swift response eh'

🤙🇨🇦

On 3/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, DalyCityMikeM said:

I'd love to test the new tools if you're still looking for volunteers!

Out of curiosity if you enjoy testing tools a lot it seems very productive if you just start building your own that way you know the intention and what went into building the tool as well as testing the operation, and verifying the code and proper working order. I mean obviously you know all that but that's all. Start going crazy and building tools for problems that people have but don't know they need.