Yahoo Ups Free Email Storage to 1 Gigabyte

netmasta

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=575&e=17&u=/nm/tech_yahoo_dc

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq:YHOO - news) said on Wednesday it will soon begin giving users of its free Web e-mail service 1 gigabyte of storage, four times more than it now offers, amid intense competition.

More Than Mail

How to master the popular information manager. Plus, great Outlook alternatives, and apps to expand the program.

Consumers are increasingly using their Web e-mail inboxes as a repository for e-mail as well as digital photos and documents. Web e-mail providers have been responding with offers of ever more free storage.

Yahoo said the global storage upgrade will begin in late April and take about two weeks to complete.

The Internet media company also said it is beefing up antivirus protection for free e-mail users, giving them the ability to remove viruses from attachments -- a feature that had only been available to paying users.

Yahoo Mail is available in 15 languages in almost two dozen countries around the world.

Google Inc. (Nasdaq:GOOG - news) last spring was the first to offer 1 gigabyte of free storage to users of its invitation-only test Gmail service, setting off me-too moves from rivals.

Gmail is now available only as an English-language service.

Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) currently limits free storage on its free MSN Hotmail accounts to 250 megabytes.

Yahoo and Microsoft each offer 2 gigabytes of storage to users who pay about $20 per year for the service.

:D

i like gmail best then yahoo

somethings in gmail can be improved

but much better layout and features in gmail

the spell check is awsome

i have to say i havent got my head around the labels as well as folders it self

meh, gmail is kickass compared to yahoo. does yahoo offer a yahoo notifier? didnt think so. does yahoo have their ads placed away in a corner where no one can find them? nope. so ill still with gmail.

You can use Y! Messenger or Y! toolbar to get notified of new mail.

They all have their purpose on my end; hotmail for personal, gmail for business and yahoo for online forums and other online services that require email.

I actually use Y! mail for at least 3 of my mail addresses not counting forwared pop mail. I have my regular address, and 4 address I use for my own domain using Personal address.