DW6000 ICS on a P2P network

PrimetimeDJ

I'm using a crossover cable to link my host PC (XP) with a client (Win98SE). Didn't want to use a router since my network consists of just 2 PC's, The crossover is connected to the host through a Netgear FA120 USB Fast Ethernet Adaptor, with the DW6000 connected to a NIC. Crossover connects into the Win98SE client through a NIC. I can't get an internet connection on the Win98SE PC. Any suggestions on how to make ICS work? Any help is much appreciated.

PrimetimeDJ ..welcome to the forum.....I'm not sure I can fix this...but I can offer some help.. :D

First of all I don't know if the 6000 will accept a host comp.....the 6000 handles all the DHCP handling...and it can't be turned off.. :angry2:.  If you can make your host machine route straight thru...then it'll work. On your win98 machine...make sure that the proxy settings are right ...to include the exceptions box....same as the host machine. The IP address for the 6000 is 198.162.0.1....nothing else works. I have three computers networked on my 6000...thru a dumb switch....all works well and there was no set up to it....just the proxy settings on each machine.. :lol:

Hope this helps some..

on the xp comp, select both lan connections, right click and click on bridge connections

I bridged network connections and lost access to the drives on client. Although, the bridge and both network connections were still showing as connected in "Network Connections" on the XP PC.

PrimetimeDJ ...again..the only address that your 6000 is going to except is 192.168.0.1

try putting that address into your browser ....in the address bar......you should be able to call up the control panel for the 6000...if your bridge is correct..

try this on the win 98 machine.

I could help you with ICS but I believe the best way is to add HARDWARE to the mix.

WIRELESS baby!

You can buy wireless cards for both systems and an access point which will help you share internet and files (easy setup)

Linksys is guaranteed to work with the DWAY modem.

If you want to use ICS (lots of work) I will still help you.

If you can make your host machine route straight thru...then it'll work. On your win98 machine...make sure that the proxy settings are right ...to include the exceptions box....same as the host machine. The IP address for the 6000 is 198.162.0.1....nothing else works. I have three computers networked on my 6000...thru a dumb switch....all works well and there was no set up to it....just the proxy settings on each machine.. :lol:

I typed the 6000 IP (http://198.162.0.1) in the browser of the Win98 machine when the host and client connections were bridged and got nothing. Just need further direction on how to check proxy settings on XP and Win98 machines to make sure they match. Sorry I'm being dense about this. Brain isn't working right

• 2 weeks later...