Had this problem for a couple of months...

FIrst off, I would like to say this is a very wonderful and helpful site from which I am starting to learn new things due to my limited knowledge of computers.

Now my problem,

The thing is I have a wireless adapter connected to my one of three computers connected to a router (the other two have ethernet cables connected to a wireless router, i know not very smart, but no money to spend on extra wireless adapters).  The two computers connected through ethernet cables have astonishing speeds (around 450kB/s) compared to the one connected wirelessly (if thats a word) which has 40-50 kB/s max. I have turned off all devicess like 2.4GHz phones that may give interference. The adapter says it can have speeds up to 54 mbps, while i get a constant 11Mbps. 

Here are the specs for each computer:

slowest one with ethernet cable:

1 GHz, 128MB Ram, 50 GB hard drive, pretty much outdated, but download speeds are phenomenal

2nd computer connected with cable download speeds are also very good:

2.09Ghz, 512MB ram, 150 GB hard drive

3rd computer connected wirelessly having problems,

3.12 GHz, 1GB ram, 145 GB hard drive

Since I use Optimum online cable, i downloaded the largest file for the Testmy.net test

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 354 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 43 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Sat Mar 26 2005 14:04:34 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 6X faster than 56K 1MB download in 23.81 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 7.83 % of your hosts average (optonline.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AWMFX300R

I didnt think i needed to show the results of the other two wired computers since they were fine, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I apologize beforehand if this question (or if its a silly problem) has been answered before, if so please kindly point me in the right direction.  Also, if I left out any important info, well, you know what to do. Also, I feel I shouldnt meddle with tweaking and other advanced options just yet, since i think its more of a different type of problem. Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with wireless but someone should be able to help you out.  One question I would ask is what model of router and wireless card do you have?  Also, what operating system are you running on the wireless machine?

Hey coldflame712, Greets and welcome to the forum. This is a good place to find help and learn. I've been around just for a short while, but feel I've learned a lot from these guys.

What make and model router are you using? What is the firmware version?

Have you done any set up on the router?

You mention: "The adapter says it can have speeds up to 54 Mbps" so we can assume it is a 54g model. There are settings within to select the wireless speed, have you done that? Is the wireless card in the PC with problems also a 54g flavor? If it is only an 801.11b, 11Mbps is all you're gonna get.

If this is a Linksys model, I can help you, if not....someone will

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have a Netgear MR814 router and a Belkin Wireless G Network adapter which is a 54g model.  I am running Windows XP on the wireless computer.  Honestly I don't know what firmware means so I don't know the version of that.

Hm, I don't know if you can select the wireless speed in my adapter mainly because I didn't see it in the manual, it was more of just plugging and installing the software, nothing else to do. 

My connection status at the system tray is excellent so there are no problems which brings me to the conclusion...

Unfortunately, I have found out that the router is 801.11b while the adapter is 801.11g.

Few more questions:

1.  My router says it is 100 Mbps, but as I said it is 801.11b.  Does this mean that the router speed doesn't matter as much as if it is "b" or "g"?

2.  What's the deal with encryption? Is it really that important?  How do the different types vary 64, 128 WEP, WMA or something like that...

3.Now since the problem is figured out, are there any ideas on how to improve the speed aside from buying a new router?  I also have the option of drilling a hole through the floor so that I can use an ethernet cable.  Which option would you recommend?  If I do have to buy a router, what are some good ones. I keep hearing about Linksys, so which models would you recommend?

1. 100Mbps would probably relate to the wired part of the router. Since internet speeds are increasing going with a G would help with any bandwidth problems.

2. Encryption can be important when talking about security (keeping people from accessing your network), you might want to look into MAC filtering (all routers have 24/7 tech support)

3. I would go with a belkin wireless G router

Ok, i'll look into a belkin wireless router. 

Another problem I have is that every couple of days, I always have to pull the AC adapter (of the router)  that's plugged into the electrical strip and plug it in again so that the internet speed kicks back to normal.  What could be the problem?