Wireless intenet

neo.cerberus

hey everyone. my most recent test results are as follows.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 2979 Kbps about 3 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 364 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Sun Mar 27 2005 15:14:45 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 53X faster than 56K 1MB download in 2.81 sec

Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 92.03 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-NUB9C2EPD

I did the pathping thing, but after 450 seconds the dialogue box just closes. There are no ping speeds listed by teh jumps either.

I have Comcast's 4000/384 internet plan but i only recieve about 3Mbps. Is there any way to bump y speed further towards the 4Mbps line?

Sorry about that - yea i have a wireless liunksys router and each comp on our network connects through those stupid little boxes attatched to a usb port. Is there a different way i should hook up the wireless adapter?

Those USB devices will do in a pinch, but I've had better results with internal pci wireless cards in two of my desktops.

You already have the wireless router/modem right? which one, what's the make and model?

The wireless pci card runs from $40 to $70, dependss on the speed. If you have a 801.11b, its the low end. The 54g cost more. You can walk in and find them at Best Buy, or probably get a better price if you shop online.

I don't think there's much you can do, you tend to lose a lot of speed due to low signals and stuff when you share your connection wirelessly.  I have a wireless router and the speeds on my computer in my room (the one connected wirelessly) completely suck.  :(

Unless the pci card will drastically improve my speed i don't think i have the money to buy one. Thanks for the help though. As for the wireless connection just being slow because its wireless, i cant really say i disagree. I wish i could snake a wire from the modem around three doors and through two rooms but i just don't have the carpentry skills to do that  :lol: plus i don't think they make cables that long.