No more DirecWay?

asmboy

I finally found out there is a WISP in my area, and a tower that I can almost see from my roof. I don't know whether to switch to this company (Redmoon). They offer 768 kps both ways for 39.99 a month. The ping latency is fast enough to play games. I have asked people who have their service what their ping latency is, and all have been between 20ms - 90ms. There is no installation fee, and they install a free linksys router. The dish that goes on the roof is 4 inches in length and width. Should I switch?

Cancel then run, run as fast as you can......do not look back!

The upload speed you mentioned would cost you near $300 with a sat and would still have high latency issues bad for anything. The slightly slower download is still going to give you faster/snappy web browsing because of faster ping times.

I might just give it away if this WISP works out. It has all good reviews, but still. Who knows I might be running back with a camel.

Hook up to the new system to see if you like it first then cancel DW.

I see you only have one test logged at 382Kbps down? You should have been getting much better than that. Most useres on a 4000 are getting around 1.5MBps down. I still think Direcway would like to see the 4000 users at a minimum to zero in the near future...just my theory.

I just recently reformated and ran new cable to the modems. I never tweaked anything, and never installed any of the windows updates (I planned on installing gentoo as soon as DSL was available). They have it like 1/2 mile up the road. I was getting around 1700kbps when I was tweaking everything. If you want I can login to my mydirecway account and show you my test speeds.

the test found at mydirecway shows me at around 300Kbps up...now testmy net shows me at best ever 113kbps up, lately my uploads here are around 60 sometimes 90. I go to my email account send a digital pic around 800KB note the time it takes to send it:

A connection of 300Kbps = 36.62KB/sec aprox. take the file 22seconds to upload.

A connection of 60Kbps =7.32KB/sec apox. take the file 110seconds (this ones is correct)

to me its very clear that the test at mydirecway has a few grains of sand in it!