Computer performance suffering greatly....too many svchost.exe !!!

gobi11

I need some help. I have six processes of svchost running and I think I may have a problem.

I ran task list and here is what it says for each:

svchost.exe    964    DcomLaunch,TermService

svchost.exe  1020  RpcSs

svchost.exe    1164  AudioSrv, Browser, CrypSvc, Dhcp, dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,

FastUserSwitchigCompatibility, helpsvc, HidServ, lanmanserver,

lanmanworkstation, Netman, Nla, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon,

SENS, SnaredAccess, ShellHWDetection, srservice, Tapisrv, Themes

TrkWks, W32Time, winmgmt, wscsvc, wauaserv, WZCSVC

svchost.exe    1212  Dnscache

svchost.exe    1284  LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient

svchost.exe    1932  stisvc

I first noticed the problem after a system reboot and the POST screen audibly told me there wasn't a keyboard attached. There was and I ended up having to hook up an old PS2 keyboard instead of the USB keyboard. Now it boots up but takes forever to go through the initial windows start up and performance is definitely off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Win XP Pro SP2 on a A7n8x2.0 Deluxe  BIOS rev 1004 (old I know) MOBO with 768 MB DDR on this box. 

No. that is what seems so sketchy to me. I have a wireless network set up here, but I don't have remote access enabled.

Everything else looks legit then?

If you want, download Belar Advisor and and then email or PM the results to me. Let me look at what's loaded on your machine.

www.belarc.com

I need some help. I have six processes of svchost running and I think I may have a problem.

I ran task list and here is what it says for each:

svchost.exe 964 DcomLaunch,TermService

svchost.exe 1020 RpcSs

svchost.exe 1164 AudioSrv, Browser, CrypSvc, Dhcp, dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,

FastUserSwitchigCompatibility, helpsvc, HidServ, lanmanserver,

svchost.exe 1212 Dnscache

svchost.exe 1284 LmHosts, RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient

svchost.exe 1932 stisvc

I first noticed the problem after a system reboot and the POST screen audibly told me there wasn't a keyboard attached. There was and I ended up having to hook up an old PS2 keyboard instead of the USB keyboard. Now it boots up but takes forever to go through the initial windows start up and performance is definitely off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Win XP Pro SP2 on a A7n8x2.0 Deluxe BIOS rev 1004 (old I know) MOBO with 768 MB DDR on this box.

It's normal for many svchost.exe files to be running. I know about a few of them:

svchost.exe    964    DcomLaunch,TermService

svchost.exe  1020  RpcSs

svchost.exe    1164  AudioSrv, Browser, CrypSvc, Dhcp, dmserver, ERSvc, EventSystem,

FastUserSwitchigCompatibility (<--able to have more than one user logged on at a time), helpsvc(<--Windows help), HidServ, lanmanserver,

svchost.exe    1212  Dnscache

svchost.exe    1284  LmHosts(Hosts file, used to reslolve some www addresses to IP addresses), RemoteRegistry, SSDPSRV, WebClient

svchost.exe    1932  stisvc

To learn about any of them just searchj there names at http://support.microsoft.com

Thanks for that reply. I'll go to the site and compare what I have against their database.  hopefully they are all in line. I was just suprised to see 6 sessions running.

I appreciate the input.  McAfee 8.0 didn't pick anything up, but adaware SE found 42 critical items and it has been running a little better since then. Still 6 sessions running, so maybe they are harmless.

Again, thanks for the help! :)