[TIPS] This may help with some speed issues.

Guest helloimtim

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest ExtremeFusion

hey.. kinda confused hir.

is it normal when your upload speed is more relatively faster than your download speed?

it seems like they have changed..

my download speed is only 150kpbs and my upload speed is 300kpbs.. im a smartbro user. tnx

hmm.. same case here...

but when i tweak my connection my dl and ul came close with each other (the speed im talking about)..

I think it has something to do with your setting...

• 2 months later...

Hello! I'm brain-dead and need some help. I use Charter Communications. I'm paying for a 10 Mbps service and here's my test results:

share2-ALXONTH4S&dual=yes&q2=50Z7CQX4F

Is it normal to have such a discrepancy (10,000 Mbps vs 4,724 Mbps <accurately converted?)? I'm using a laptop. Yesterday I was testing at about half this speed and noticed my wireless connection said something like, 54.0 Mbps when I moved my cursor over the icon. I checked out an ethernet connection and it said 100 Mpbs, so I plugged it into my laptop. Much better speed but I'm not real fond of having to 'wire it up'.

I'm also having a problem deleting programs. I get an error message on about 1/2 the stuff I try to delete. Also, I can NOT go to a freaking .pdf site. It will freeze my browser. GRRRR!!! I've tried deleting Acrobat/Adobe Reader and it will not let me. I've tried download and installing, replacing the old Reader, it will not let me.

Sorry if this is info overkill. If you can help w/ my connection speed that'd be great!  :wink2:

Hello! I'm brain-dead and need some help. I use Charter Communications. I'm paying for a 10 Mbps service and here's my test results:

share2-ALXONTH4S&dual=yes&q2=50Z7CQX4F

Is it normal to have such a discrepancy (10,000 Mbps vs 4,724 Mbps <accurately converted?)? I'm using a laptop. Yesterday I was testing at about half this speed and noticed my wireless connection said something like, 54.0 Mbps when I moved my cursor over the icon. I checked out an ethernet connection and it said 100 Mpbs, so I plugged it into my laptop. Much better speed but I'm not real fond of having to 'wire it up'.

I'm also having a problem deleting programs. I get an error message on about 1/2 the stuff I try to delete. Also, I can NOT go to a freaking .pdf site. It will freeze my browser. GRRRR!!! I've tried deleting Acrobat/Adobe Reader and it will not let me. I've tried download and installing, replacing the old Reader, it will not let me.

Sorry if this is info overkill. If you can help w/ my connection speed that'd be great! :wink2:

Are you using Vista or XP???  and where do you live, like what state and do you live in town or in the country those have alot of factors when it comes with speed, I can get around 20mb with my provider with all my wireless laptops so its not the wireless thats the issue its either your OS, your router, wireing, and even settings.

Are you using Vista or XP??? and where do you live, like what state and do you live in town or in the country those have alot of factors when it comes with speed, I can get around 20mb with my provider with all my wireless laptops so its not the wireless thats the issue its either your OS, your router, wireing, and even settings.

Windows XP. I'm in a suburb in Alabama. County population is about 100,000. Well, when I dropped the wireless connection and went w/ the ethernet, my connection speed definitely improved. My speed seems erratic. Also, it seems the longer I'm online the slower it gets. After a few hours I'll just restart my computer and that usually helps.

Windows XP. I'm in a suburb in Alabama. County population is about 100,000. Well, when I dropped the wireless connection and went w/ the ethernet, my connection speed definitely improved. My speed seems erratic. Also, it seems the longer I'm online the slower it gets. After a few hours I'll just restart my computer and that usually helps.

try tweaking your settings especially with xp since the default settings are not optimized for high speeds.  go over to www.speedguide.net and download the TCP Optimizer tool

Thanks Bryan, I'll check the link.

I probably shouldnt try this but...I turned off Kaspersky Security just tot see how much faster my connection speed would be. It shot up to 9,800 Kbps vs 4,700! I've never come close to that number before. That's what I pay my cable co. for, 10,000 Kbps, but I've never gotten close to it until I tried that. Is that normal?

I've has Kaspersky for about a week and havent received any 'attack reports' until a little after my post above. Here's what it says:

Intrusion.Win.MSSQL.worm.Helkern! Attacker's IP address: 58.242.42.235. Protocol/service: UDP on local port 1434. Time: 1/14/2008 9:48:55 PM

??? Related?  Told you I'm cpu illiterate.  :roll:

I've has Kaspersky for about a week and havent received any 'attack reports' until a little after my post above. Here's what it says:

Intrusion.Win.MSSQL.worm.Helkern! Attacker's IP address: 58.242.42.235. Protocol/service: UDP on local port 1434. Time: 1/14/2008 9:48:55 PM

??? Related?  Told you I'm cpu illiterate.  :roll:

Most likely its a port scanner, scanning yoru ports, do you have a NAT router or are u just connecting directly to the cable modem.  I myself like NOD32 its alot faster then Kaspery and has gotten the most VB100 awards then any other,  Kasp can slow your connection down especially if you use the web filtering.

Is it worth my time to uninstal Kaspersky and install NOD32 trial version? I've had Kaspersky for about 1.5 weeks I believe. The trial period is 30 days. If I uninstalled it, how would this affect my 30-day trial?

Here's the NOD32 free trial link:

http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

Does NOD32 cover all my security needs, e.g., spyware, trojan, firewall???

Thanks!

Is it worth my time to uninstal Kaspersky and install NOD32 trial version? I've had Kaspersky for about 1.5 weeks I believe. The trial period is 30 days. If I uninstalled it, how would this affect my 30-day trial?

Here's the NOD32 free trial link:

http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

Does NOD32 cover all my security needs, e.g., spyware, trojan, firewall???

Thanks!

Yes the Smart Security version of NOD32 does include a firewall just like every other suite does, i myself dont use a third party firewall as i have found out they tend to slow down networks and also if you have a router with a NAT and SPI then windows built in firewall will be good enough.  NOD32 antivirus does everthing except it doesnt come with the firewall but the smart security edition does

Man, I wonder why I keep getting these messages now?

1/14/2008 9:48:55 PM Intrusion.Win.MSSQL.worm.Helkern! Attacker's IP address: 58.242.42.235. Protocol/service: UDP on local port 1434. Time: 1/14/2008 9:48:55 PM

1/15/2008 11:32:09 AM Intrusion.Win.MSSQL.worm.Helkern! Attacker's IP address: 218.63.165.170. Protocol/service: UDP on local port 1434. Time: 1/15/2008 11:32:09 AM

1/15/2008 4:25:44 PM Intrusion.Win.MSSQL.worm.Helkern! Attacker's IP address: 202.99.11.99. Protocol/service: UDP on local port 1434. Time: 1/15/2008 4:25:43 PM

1/15/2008 5:44:33 PM Intrusion.Win.MSSQL.worm.Helkern! Attacker's IP address: 220.178.4.197. Protocol/service: UDP on local port 1434. Time: 1/15/2008 5:44:33 PM

Do these things usually come from websites I'm currently at? If you close Internet Explorer windows, can you still be attacked? Can the stuff above only come from places we've both been, including email, etc? I mean, how do they find my presence, at least the most stealthy ways?

Guest ExtremeFusion

"Helkern" - 376 Bytes That Shook The World

Kaspersky Labs, an international data security software developer, is warning users to look our for the new Internet-worm "Helkern" (also known as "Slammer" or "Sapphire") that infects servers running under the popular Web-enabled database Microsoft SQL Server 2000. The extremely small size of the worm (only 376 bytes), a unique technology it employs for penetrating target computers and an extraordinarily high spreading speed allow us to proclaim "Helkern" one of the biggest dangers threatening the normal operation of the Internet to come along in years. There have already been reports of serious disruptions to Internet functioning in South Korea, Australia and New Zealand.

It is possible to say the worm has caused one of the largest virus outbreaks in history that has affected user from all corners of the globe: messages describing infections from "Helkern" are being received from Europe, the United States and Eastern Asia.

"Helkern" belongs to the "fileless" worms category. This type of malicious programs performs all operations (including infection and spreading) exclusively in the computer's operating memory without using any permanent or temporary files. These features seriously complicate the detection and disinfection of such worms using contemporary anti-virus technologies (on-demand and on-access scanners). The first malicious code of this type, "CodeRed", was discovered on July 20, 2001. At that time it caused a wide-scale outbreak infecting dozens of thousands of systems around the world. Up until now, with the exception of "CodeRed", "fileless" worms had not shown themselves.

"Helkern" infects only computers running Microsoft SQL Server 2000, a multi-functional database system widely used primarily on Web-servers. To home users of any Windows version without the installion of Microsoft SQL Server the worm poses no threat.

"Helkern" exploits a security breach ("Buffer Overrun") in Microsoft SQL Server that was first detected in July, 2002. To accomplish the "buffer overrun" exploit the worm sends a special request to a target computer. When the request is processed the system automatically executes the worm's code contained in this request. In this way a malefactor can run malicious code without a user's knowledge.

Next, "Helkern" initiates its spreading routine. This process features the extremely rapid sending of the worm's copies to other Internet users: "Helkern" starts an endless spawning loop that many times increases network traffic. "Within just 3 hours from the start of the outbreak began we have detected more than 20 thousand attempts by "Helkern" to penetrate our network, - says Igor Mitiurin, Head of the Information Security Department at Russlavbank, a major Russian financial institution, - Fortunately all these penetration attempts were successfully blocked thanks to our implementation of an effective information security policy that includes the timely installation of security patches for all software used in our corporate network."

Nowadays Microsoft SQL Server is one of the acknowledged leaders in the Web-enabled database market and is used on hundreds of thousands of computers the world over. These events show that many of these systems still contain the security breach allowing infection at the hands of "Helkern". "Helkern" is a real threat that can cause serious interruption to the workings of Internet because the worm generates a huge amount of redundant network traffic that jams data transmission channels. Moreover, in the future, there is a possibility that such attacks will happen with increasing frequency. These circumstances underline the necessity to develop a new approach confronting Internet virus outbreaks. Contemporary technologies have shown a low effectiveness when dealing with such challenges," said Eugene Kaspersky, Head of Anti-Virus Research for Kaspersky Labs.

Besides generating a large volume of redundant network traffic "Helkern" carries no other malicious payload (including destructive payload). Nevertheless Kaspersky Labs urges users to install the patch for buffer overruns in SQL Server 2000. You may access the patch, which is available free of charge on the Microsoft Web-site, by clicking here.

Useful links:

A description of "Helkern" in the Kaspersky Virus Encyclopedia: http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=59159

A description of the Microsoft SQL Server security breach (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-039): http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-039.asp>

Kaspersky Anti-Virus database updates: http://www.kaspersky.com/updates.html

http://www.viruslist.com/en/news?id=59188

Yes the Smart Security version of NOD32 does include a firewall just like every other suite does, i myself dont use a third party firewall as i have found out they tend to slow down networks and also if you have a router with a NAT and SPI then windows built in firewall will be good enough.  NOD32 antivirus does everthing except it doesnt come with the firewall but the smart security edition does

The only downside is you are running 2 incoming firewalls but outgoing is wide open ?

The protection offered by NAT is very limited. It will keep an attacker from sending Messenger popup spams to your computer. It will keep people from connecting to services and backdoors installed on your computer. But it won

The only downside is you are running 2 incoming firewalls but outgoing is wide open ?

The protection offered by NAT is very limited. It will keep an attacker from sending Messenger popup spams to your computer. It will keep people from connecting to services and backdoors installed on your computer. But it wont keep trojans, viruses, and other malicious software from connecting to the Internet from your computer. It wont prevent unauthorized network traffic from leaving your computer and going onto the Internet. Thats what modern firewalls do.

http://kalsey.com/2003/10/nat_is_not_a_firewall/

Windows Xp firewall

WARNING #3: ICF is only effective against undesired incoming traffic from the Internet. It can't stop undesired outgoing traffic from spyware, Trojan horse programs, or other hacker tools. If you want outgoing protection, use a firewall that offers that capability, and disable ICF on all connections.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/ic_firewall.htm

Yes well if your inbound is protected thats the most important and if your running an AV program especially i know for fact NOD32 does protect you against all forms of malware so therefore you woudlnt have anything installed on your pc to produce malacious activity.  Not to mention Vista runs by default as a limited user anyway so theres really no damage a program can do especially since UAC will pop up and ask you if your wanting that program to run especially if the programs not installed but then again if everybody used some sort of security software and dont open up attachments from unknown users and dont download programs from unknown sites then you should be fine.

Also I do agree that if a person does want to have control outbound connection where they can configure the rules then yes the'll have to download a third party software or in my experinces its better just to have a suite and make sure there firewall does both incoming and outbound.

Vista on the other does some outbound protection in the background.

" i know for fact NOD32 does protect you against all forms of malware so therefore you woudlnt have anything installed on your pc to produce malacious activity."

AV programs protect against all KNOWN malware, and even then relies on frequent updates , they usually lag the new malware by about a week ,

"There exists a proof that you cannot have a perfect defence it says 'you cannot write a program which will, in all circumstances, correctly determine the behaviour of another program'. You can get very, very close but it just can't be done," Ducklin told ZDNet Australia.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Antivirus-software-is-being-defeated-/0,130061744,139257227,00.htm

IMHO, if there was a 100% perfect AV program out there , Malware wouldn't exist

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. My DL test speed is almost always around 4,500 Kbps. Out of the blue, I get this:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 8928 Kbps about 8.9 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1090 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/02/01 - 3:37pm

Bottom Line:: 156X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.94 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 11.157 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 139.68 % faster than the average for host (charter.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7603OQDVW

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

I wonder why.

I'm still getting notices from my Kaspersky security that the worm I mentioned earlier is trying to penetrate my ass. Wonder why it keeps coming back. I don't think it occurs while I'm at any particular site.

My 30-day Kaspersky trial is about 3 or 4 days from expiring. What is THE best security software, taking into consideration it's security effectiveness and it's lack of drain on my net speed connection? Is there a way to renew my Kaspersky free of charge? How do they know it's me if I delete cookies? My 'IP address'? or whatever it's called. Told you I'm an idiot.  :haha:

• 1 month later...

can anyone help me about this....

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 3:45:18 AM, on 3/22/2008

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:WINDOWSSystem32smss.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32winlogon.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32services.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32lsass.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32svchost.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32svchost.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32spoolsv.exe

C:PROGRA~1GrisoftAVG7avgamsvr.exe

C:PROGRA~1GrisoftAVG7avgupsvc.exe

C:PROGRA~1GrisoftAVG7avgemc.exe

C:Program FilesNeroNero 7InCDInCDsrv.exe

C:WINDOWSsystem32nvsvc32.exe

C:Program FilesCyberLinkShared FilesRichVideo.exe

C:WINDOWSSystem32svchost.exe

C:WINDOWSExplorer.EXE

C:WINDOWSsystem32RUNDLL32.EXE

C:Program FilesPCI Audio ApplicationsBinEchoCtrl.exe

C:WINDOWSMixer.exe

C:Program FilesFlashGetFlashGet.exe

C:PROGRA~1GrisoftAVG7avgcc.exe

C:Program FilesCyberLinkPowerDVDPDVDServ.exe

C:Program Fileslg_fwupdatefwupdate.exe

C:Program FilesNeroNero 7InCDNBHGui.exe

C:Program FilesNeroNero 7InCDInCD.exe

C:Program FilesGoogleGoogleToolbarNotifier1.2.1128.5462GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

C:Program FilesSpybot - Search & DestroyTeaTimer.exe

C:Program FilesWinZipWZQKPICK.EXE

C:Program FilesYahoo!Messengerymsgr_tray.exe

C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe

C:Program FilesIObitAdvanced WindowsCare V2MemCleaner.exe

C:Program FilesNeroNero 7Corenero.exe

C:Program FilesCommon FilesAheadLibNMIndexingService.exe

C:Program FilesTrend MicroHijackThisHijackThis.exe