Test down/up speed at the same time

Senic

Try this site it has many options for testing. The Speakeasy site have UL/DL test combinded and are connected to BroadbandReports.com.  ;)

http://home.cfl.rr.com/eaa/Bandwidth.htm ;)

Even that isn't going to help.  There isn't going to be any speed test out there that tests upload WHILE downloading... because it's inaccurate.  Even if the test shows both upload and download results, they are performed separately so that both are accurate... why would you want to test your upload speed while downloading?  The point is to see the MAXIMUM throughput and that can't be achieved unless your connection is dedicated to ONE task.

I want to see how much I can send and receive at the same time.

I've always had cable and I was never interested in knowing about DSL or anything else.

Doesn't Full Duplex mean that you can send and receive at the same time? Say you have a connection thats 5/1. Can you send 1Mbps and receive 5Mbps at the same time at full speed?

I want to see how much I can send and receive at the same time.

I've always had cable and I was never interested in knowing about DSL or anything else.

Doesn't Full Duplex mean that you can send and receive at the same time? Say you have a connection thats 5/1. Can you send 1Mbps and receive 5Mbps at the same time at full speed?

as soon you hit your cap upstream, your download speed will drop

thats due to TCP protocol, when you receive a packet you need to send acknowledge packets to the sender, if your hitting cap upstream you will have problems sending those acknowledge packets and thats why your download speed will drop.

this work reversed aswell, if your hitting your download cap your uploadspeed will drop aswell

Current Cable modems are usually half-duplex., however some modems are full duplex

DSL has both full and half duplex, you need to check with your ISP

with full duplex you can send packets at the very same moment as you receive

quote from http://www.speakfreely.org/doc/duplex.html

"On a regular telephone, you can talk and listen at the same time: the telephone is a full-duplex device. With a portable radio walkie-talkie, on the other hand, as long as you hold down the "Talk" button, you can't hear anybody else who's trying to talk to you--that's why radio users say "Over" at the end of a transmission--so the other person knows you've finished and they can talk now. The walkie-talkie is half-duplex: it can communicate in both directions but only one way at a time. "

VanBuren :)

Why is it that on 10Mbps Full duplex I have speeds of about 3Mbps

&

On 100Mbps Half duplex I have speeds of 4Mbps to my cap at 4.7Mbps

I have done upload and download tests at the same time in two different windows and I have seen little difference, but yes some difference.

Why is it that on 10Mbps Full duplex I have speeds of about 3Mbps

&

On 100Mbps Half duplex I have speeds of 4Mbps to my cap at 4.7Mbps

I have done upload and download tests at the same time in two different windows and I have seen little difference, but yes some difference.

hey Blako :)

i dont know if your using any tweaks, but if your using win XP and Default settings, your TcpWindowsize is dynamic, so with 100Mbps on your NIC your RWIN will be larger then using 10 Mbps on the NIC, thats one reason why it could be slower

another reason can be how your modem is built, if its built for half duplex then it will work best

VanBuren :)

• CA3LE locked this topic