T1 is it worth the money?

II ScruFFy II

What's the point of T1 anyways?  Its slower than most cable (and dsl) these days, but it costs who knows how many times more.

I've always wondered why businesses have T1's when they can just get Cable for cheaper and get faster than a measly 1.544 Mbps

Anyone know y T1 is so preferred in businesses and stuff?

I thought T1 was popular for buisness's cause you can connect multi computers and still have that 1.5 Mbps on each. and if you were to use cable the more pc that are connected the slower your internet will be. Isnt that how it works ?

Nope. Like any other connection its 1.5 both ways, but its still shared.  1.5 to each computer would mean that each comp has a T1 line. If you have 300 computers, thats 300 T1 lines?? I dont think so :lol:

A T1 connection operates at 1.544mbits and allows data to travel in both directions simultaneously but mostly likely will be replaced by FIOS.

A T1 connection also offers a higher level of service quality, up time, faster repair times and fewer end user restrictions.

T1 connections are also used mostly by business because they also can be used for voice communications which provide cost savings and more benefits over analog phone lines.

Well people t1 is not only 1.5 mb as far as I have heard it also operates up to like 3mb! I also know that there is t3 but I have heard that t1 can go alot faster than 1.5mb it just depends on what you pay for! Like they have a fractional t1 and a full t1 and all that thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

i don't know why anyone would pay that much for a t1 connection because i have cable and i have been getting better than 1.5mb .

As other people have previously stated, a T1 line is 1.44Mb down and[] 1.44Mb up. It is also guaranteed to have almost 100% uptime.

Not worth it for a home line...hands down.no2.gif Even if I had the cash for it, I would still prefer my 6600/768 anyday. I will always be faster than 1.544Mbps down, and my upload will always be great for hosting online game servers or sharing files at maximum speed throughout the night.

Additional information on T1 connections:

T1 to the Internet

One of the most common uses of a T1 line is an "Internet T1". This T1 connection is used to provide Internet access to businesses of all sizes. Available in over 95% of the lower forty-eight states, Internet T1s have become one of the most popular ways for multiple users in one location to connect to the Internet. The T1 connection is available from dozens of providers with monthly prices for Internet T1 service ranging from $300 - $1,500. The telecom marketplace is fiercely competitive and receiving quotes from multiple T1 providers can save a company thousands of dollars a year.

How much does an Internet T1 cost?

The price of an Internet T1 is generally made up of two components: the local T1 loop price and the port price. The local T1 loop is what connects your location to the carrier's POP (Point of Presence). Local T1 loops are priced according to the distance from your location to the carrier's POP and are priced differently by all carriers. If you are looking for T1 prices it is best that you receive quotes from multiple T1 carriers to insure that you get the best deal available. As a rule you can expect an Internet T1, including local loop, to cost between $400 and $1,300 a month, depending on the installation location and the desired speed of the T1 service.

Do all carriers provide the same type of Internet T1 service?

Just because a carrier says that they are providing a T1 to the Internet; do not assume that all carriers are providing the same T1 service. Every carrier uses different technology and design in transmitting data from your location to the Internet. Large carriers like AT&T, Qwest, Sprint and WorldCom use fiber optic backbones that they own and operate. These networks are highly sophisticated and redundant and can move data at speeds up to OC-192. When you buy access from one of these providers - or from a rebiller of their T1 service - you are getting the highest quality available. Some smaller providers will buy access from a large Tier One provider then resell the T1 service to a large number of subscribers, resulting in poor quality. If you have questions about what network a T1 provider is using, we would be happy to provide you with the answers that you need.

What is the difference between a DSL connection and an Internet T1 line?

The primary difference between DSL and a T1 is in the level of over subscription that occurs before the service reaches the end user. When you purchase a full T1 of Internet access, what you are generally getting is access to 1.544 Mbps of transmission on the carrier's network, regardless of what other customers are transmitting and receiving. To better illustrate this, let's assume that a carrier has capacity for 150 Mbps at any given time. This means that the at the most, they would sell is 100 T1s; Tier One carrier networks are seldom oversubscribed. For every megabyte of capacity, they can sell one megabyte access to a customer.

DSL works differently then T1 lines - and costs less - because of over subscription. When you use a DSL connection your service runs through a piece of equipment called a DSLAM, as opposed to running directly into the Internet. The DSLAM acts as a point of aggregation between the DSL subscribers and the direct connection to the Internet (normally a T1 or DS-3). Typical DSL over subscription rates run from 4:1 to 25:1. Or in other words, for every one megabyte of demand coming into the DSLAM, a fraction of that is available. The benefit to this design is that a DSL provider can provide a 2 Mbps connection for a fraction of the T1 price. The disadvantage is that when the DSLAM gets busy, your connection speed will slow considerably.

a lot of schools(smaller maybe) use T1's because they have other campuses maybe miles away and they can use the t1 to connect those to the main server, like my old private school had dual t1's and they used one t1 to connect 2 other elementary campuses 15 or so miles away from the high school (the high school had the server/router) and they were all on the LAN.