Dirty little secret

unstable

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1777452,00.asp

Pertains to poorly written NIC drivers that slow everything down alot...

There's also some info about a new 10GB adapter

Most driver performance issues come up in the auto-negotiation phase of a connection, which determines the speed of the link and whether it will operate at full duplex or half duplex.

"The No. 1 issue I found was half-/full-duplex conflict," said Fred Klassen, Apparent Networks' co-founder and vice president of network technologies.

Yeah I remember one of the first tips I had mentioned when I came here was making sure you were manually matched in speed. 

I had some serious problems when I was setting up a cluster, where one node kept falling off.  Luckily I had a managed switch that had event logs that gave me a rough idea of where to look to solve my problem.  Switching to 100 full fixed everything.

But still, the article does talk about crappy drivers causing slow downs.  Perhaps this is why you may see a massive increase using Linux over windows...or vice versa (in some instances).

If I understand this thread right, you are saying it is best to configure the NIC to 100 full, which I did. Run the test below and am wondering what this "the receive buffer should be 42.11 Kbytes to maximize throughput" means.

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3d

click START to begin

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

dliw : Van Buren is offline right now he will be the best help to you .Just find him online & PM him if he doesn't awnser your post.For now I have a different connection(56K) but take my advice on this don't use the test you posted to set your RWIN(receive buffer). Cholla

dliw : This test is fairly accurate for speed.(but don't use this part to set your RWIN The receive buffer should be 42.11 Kbytes to maximize throughput) There are much better ways to determine this.Van Buren can help you tweak your RWIN & other settings.If you need help with this. Cholla

this is the same test on my 56K:TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3d

click START to begin

If I understand this thread right, you are saying it is best to configure the NIC to 100 full, which I did. Run the test below and am wondering what this "the receive buffer should be 42.11 Kbytes to maximize throughput" means.

click START to begin

This is my last speed test at this site:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1446 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 176 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Fri Apr 1 18:18:15 CST 2005

Bottom Line:: 26X faster than 56K 1MB download in 5.82 sec

Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 94.26 % of your hosts average (atlanticbb.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-THBGRZSEN

My upload is always well over the 128. I have done some tweaks using TuneUp Utilities and a Connection Fix I found on the web. I am provisioned 1.5/128. Really don't want to play with it too much more. Am going to order 3.0 soon though.

My apologies for resurrecting this thread.  Just wanted someone's opinion on this. XP Home  1.5/128

click START to begin