SBC running me at only 18.5% - HELP

Guest rad_thundercat

Guest rad_thundercat

So I talked to SBC.  ...what a joke.

After about 45min to an hour, I get to a 3rd tier tech person (an older gentleman with a heavy southern accent. His name is Al.)  I explain how I am getting a very slow connection of 318kbps.  We go back and fourth on it and he tells me that its my line quality.  I tell him that I have done a line test on dslreports.com and everything is fine. 

He then continues with, "well, since you have moved since you have had DSL with us, you are probably farther away from the switchboard (or whatever its called) and that is why the connection is slow."  I mention that I have already looked up the switchboard, which is in Plano, and now I am actually closer to it. 

Now he starts getting pissy; I have been nothing but polite the whole conversation.  He says that he is going to run a test that shows the average connection around my area.  Not more than 5 seconds later he jumps back, "well, yup, your area is capped at 192-384kbps and you fall right between there so your fine, your right where you should be." (I have a feeling that he had known that the whole time).  I tell him that its not where I should be because I am paying for a 384-1500kbps connection.  I ask him for verification: "So your saying that there is nothing you can do to get my connection to at least the minimum 384kbps connection."  He snaps back, "well, not unless you pick up your house and move it out of your area!" ......NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL AT ALL, "AL".  I say, "ok... can you transfer me to someone in billing." (so I can discuss how they want to deal with this, ex. pro-rated cost, new modem etc.). 

He wouldn't do it.  He says, "Listen, your where your supposed to be, its fine." I tell him "Not when I am paying for at least a 384 connection." We continue to argue until I have to repeatedly ask him to transfer me to billing.  He transfers me to billing and stays on the line with me and the billing person.  The billing guy was extremely nice (I forget his name).  I explain to him that I am paying for a certain connection, and SBC is not able to provide me with that, and I want to know how you deal with situations like this." Before I could finish, Al, cuts me off "He falls within the 192-384 cap! He's fine!!  He's were he's supposed to be!!" We go back and fourth about it AGAIN....  Shortly after this my handset dies (!!!).  I scream.  2hours of arguing and I get nowhere.  I never even got to ask about trying a new modem.

If someone reading this works for SBC, can you please help me?  I am already planning on writing a letter to SBC about the connection speed, and the extremely unprofessional, childish manners of the tech. (again, the billing guy was VERY nice and courteous, i wish i could remember his name).

Mabey internally, SBC thinks its ok that I'm in a 192-384kbps cap, and Al was right.  However if thats the case,  I don't think I should be paying the same rate as the 384-1500kbps people.

I didnt mean to make this so long, btw.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rad_thundercat

here's a little follow-up

Just got my Comcast connection hooked up...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3976 Kbps about 4 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 485 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Tue Apr 26 2005 17:34:22 GMT-0500 (Central Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 71X faster than 56K 1MB download in 2.11 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 17.39 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-G6941BZ80

:D

-and a big FU to SBC!