Online Gaming

RTB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was set at hardware default and I set it to 10/half duplex. Then it asked for the win98 cd and it still couldn't find a file called protman.dos to install. Canceled the install and restarting now.

Think you will find it on your NIC driver floppy or disc, start->search->protman.dos and hit enter.

VanBuren :)

Found the 'newest' drivers (2002 :roll: ) and tried to install it. which was just impossible. The only .exe that works tells me to turn the comp off, install the NIC, and start up. It was already installed (like... 3 years ago) and restarting does nothing.

I think I'll give up on that part.

Edit: The tips you gave seemed to have helped, but now I just lag out. Thank you Chello. :x

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Nothing really improved, but now I know when I should be online: at 5 am :shock:

Then and only then I get what my dad pays for.

VanBuren: There's no point in tweaking the rate when there's a stupid router around. The comp where my dad is on is plugged in as first, then mine. Whenever dad is on, the router seems to give much more bandwidth to him than he would need. He wouldn't notice if my comp was plugged in first, because I don't take nearly as much bandwidth.

Well, I asked, and he said no. :evil:

FOR NO F*CKING REASON AT ALL! :x

Unless you have some cisco router you dont have bandwidth throttling... Which allows you choose which rj45 jacks get more bandwidth... If you think that it is throttling the bandwidth then when he isnt arround plug your computer in the first one run a test and see what happens... I know for a fact that Linksys, Dlink, and most other soho routers dont have port throttle. If you have to go on at 5 am to get what you paid for you might want to contact the ISP... You should be atleast close to what you are paying for during the day...

Unless you have some cisco router you dont have bandwidth throttling... Which allows you choose which rj45 jacks get more bandwidth... If you think that it is throttling the bandwidth then when he isnt arround plug your computer in the first one run a test and see what happens... I know for a fact that Linksys' date=' Dlink, and most other soho routers dont have port throttle. [/quote']

It's an E-Tech router. And there's nothing I'm allowed to do about it. He just enjoys bullying people.

There's one thing typical to Chello: They don't listen very well there to customers. I can't complaing, and my dad won't complain.

Usually I get good speeds (way higher than most Chello users with the same advertised speeds), but starting from 5'o'clock it falls back, and sometimes it's just dead.

Also, upload is at a third of what I should be getting or even less. Unless I test a 5 am.

There are too many people on the node I think. And they all love to use all of their bandwidth. :x

Well that sucks... about the router issue... I have never heard of E-Tech and they dont sell their stuff in the United States. I went on their website and none of their pictures work... Normally I wouldnt buy a product that has a website that looks like it is built by 4 year olds.. :lol: In the upcoming weeks talk to your dad and see if you can upgrade that router... Go with a brand name... You might see a speed increase, maybe.

As far as the speed thing goes as long as your are happy with what you get i guess there is nothing that you can do... It does sound that you are on a busy node but that happens.. :cry:

He and I were planning on testing if the router causes the lower upload, but as usual he's not doing much, other than downloading more movies. It's amazing we still haven't received a warning yet on our use of bandwidth.

I went to their website too, and everything seemed to be working.

The only speed increase that would be worth for my dad is for download, and that he screws me while doing so makes no difference.

That sucks...

does this seem fast enough to host a game on xbox live.

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is: 241 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 KB)

Upload Speed is: 29 KB/sec

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line: 4 times faster than 56K you can upload 1MB in 35.31 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=02I2LMDCE

You might want to buy a 10.99 or cheap brand name pci nic... This might help with the connection issues... There is just no reason for such a slowdown... unless he is taking most of the bandwidth while he downloads...

I was also planning on changing the RWIN, because it's setup pretty badly on the new comp. It's too low, so it takes more upload than needed.

That could partially solve my problem.

Often he's taking all the upload, so doing anything in Q3 takes seconds to transmit, but I can still see what others are doing just fine. Rarely he takes more than 300 KB/s, with 12.5 KB/s remaining for me then, which is just fine.

He's using a program called FlashGet to download files, and I don't know if it follows the RWIN and such, or uses its own values.

Your program is pretty evil, but I don't know if it's invisible in Windows XP. He's not a computer newbie unfortunatly.

• 2 months later...

Thread revival!

Update: switching plugs did not change anything. As if the packets this computer sends are put in the back of the line, with the packets from the new comp taking precedence whenever possible.

Ran an upload test on both computers and both got about this:

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is: 60 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 KB)

Upload Speed is: 7 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line: 1 times faster than 56K you can upload 1MB in 146.29 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=L5U311CPI

I just don't understand why this is happening. A nephew who has the exact same router at his house has no problems at all. While I still get screwed.

Will try that later. I'm dumbfounded by news from chello.

They're going to increase caps to 4096/1024 for my package :shock:

And I'm getting a new modem, because this old bugger really needs replacement. It could also be a way to get newer firmware on them, so that Chello can monitor us better.

Dern i forgot to add this to my post :(

The rate you setup in your q3config.cfg should not be faster then around 50% of your advertised uploadspeed.

if you have 256 Kbps up maximal = 256/8= 32 KB/s = 32000 byte/s

The rate in almost all games is set in byte/s.

32000 x 50% = 16000

your rate should be set to 16000 in this case.

Why only 50%?

as you said your dad using the connection too and, all connections "peak out" when its gettin close to the top speed. Thats not what you want for a good ping and smooth game.

~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VanBuren,

First its nice of you to help and that you have the knowledge about this, but I'm interested why only 50% is that recommended by the maker of the games or is it something you found on your own? Im just wondering why the other 50% is not used! or a portion of it......

Thanks

8) Microwave

well this 50 % depends on quality on isp net and RTB said hes dad also using the connection.......

the worst thing that can happens in gaming is that you r connection "peaks out" cos your out of bandwith.

All have to test this, what is best for them but start with 50% and then go up to 60%, 70% and so on...

edit: this is something i found out as admin of diffrent gameservers, quake 3, CoD, Mohaa, UT 2003, UT2004. Some of my friends is still stuck at 56k, so i was forced to make it playable for them aswell