not getting download speeds with router

skipunk

Hi all,

Ive followed the tips in the sticky.  I have 4 computers and 1 laptop on my home network.  I have comcast for my ISP, The advertised speeds are 6000/768.  I know there are no issues with the connection, etc, etc, etc.  I work for them so I'm up to date if there is anything going on in my area.

Ok, if i connect directly to my modem, I average 6.5 - 6.8 mb down and 760k up.  On the network My laptop gets horrible speeds, the listed speeds below was the best yet after the tweaks.  this is using the wifi connection.  The PCs get around 3500 down and hold steady on 760k up, same on the wireless.  I have 2 netgear routers, the original route i had was the RP614.  I would get the same speeds as if I was connected directly to the modem.  Since i bought the laptop, i bought the new router.  Netgear wgt624.  the speeds were ok.  The wifi didn't get as good speeds as the desktops, but i expected that.  I was holding close to 5.8 - 6.2 down on the desktops and 5.2 - 5.5 on the wifi.  uploads held the same as above.  the only thing i have done was update the firmware since i had issues with the 108 mbps xferring on the lan.  speeds were pretty slow.

I've tried tweaking the mtu on the router and that just drops the download speeds.  I'm set at 1500 right now.  I'm lost as to where to go to next.  I've tried taking off the 108 and goto 54, switched between 802.11g and 802.11b, with no change on the wifi and desktops speeds just stink.

any ideas where i can go from here, what else to check before i toss the router out the window.

All pc's and notebook are running winxp pro. the 2 of the desktops have sp2 and the others have sp1.  the laptop has sp2.  all drivers are up to date.  i've tried with and without firewalls and antivirus.  Even tried on linux, which is on one of the pc's with no change in results.

I'm lost.  any help would be great

thanks in advance

Steve

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 2432 Kbps about 2.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 297 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Sat Apr 02 2005 23:57:08 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 43X faster than 56K 1MB download in 3.45 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 73.79 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-OIJD8237S

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3d

click START to begin

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 734.00Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 3.68Mb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

Hey skipunk, Welcome to the forum!

The advertised speeds are 6000/768.

Ok, if i connect directly to my modem, I average 6.5 - 6.8 mb down and 760k up

Looks like you're in pretty good shape. With five computers connected to your network, your stats are going to fall for individual computers, that is with all five on and accessing ther internet. You still look good at 3500 down and 760 up.

Before you start trashing hardware, disconnect all computers from the network and test them individually, one computer connected to the netwoek at a time. Then address any problems that you might see with each individual connection.

Hi,

I forgot to mention that too.  I've tried with only 1 pc hooked up to the router at a time, even tried plugging them into different ports on the router for each pc with no change.  It really started when i updated the firmware, so i downloaded an older one to get back as close as i can to the factory default still with no change.

I did do some research on the router itself and found out that this particular model isn't very favorable.  I like linksys but they always seem to up and die on me within weeks of buying them which is why i steered back to netgear.

Thanks again

Steve

I'm gonna assume you've swapped cables and all that stuff. Sounds like everything points to the router, if it is slow on wi-fi too. Do you have another router you can sawp out to do a check?

I have a similar setup, but using a linksys modem and routers. The only problem I've had down line from the router with speed decreases have been caused by heat. I had modem and routers stacked. Just happened to touch them one day and felt how hot they were getting. The wireless even shut itself down. I separated all the units and the problem disappeared.

I'd make sure the cable from the modem to the router is good, then try a different router. I just did a search of the web, and I'm not seeing too many favorable posts for that model router. In fact, many state the same problems you are having.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54G on one of my networks, and it has been flawless since March of 2003 when I bought it. Have updated the firmware once. Just need to keep it ventillated

Good Luck Steve,

Barry

If you are looking into changing your hardware I would go with a D-Link Super G with MIMO Wireless Router with Super G with MIMO Wireless Notebook Adapter or a Belkin Pre-N Wireless Router with Pre-N Notebook Adapter.

For the Windows XP SP2 system you might want to run this fix.

https://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

Might as well run these patches for Windows XP if needed

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

I want to thank everyone who has helped me with my speed issue with my netgear router.  After a lot of reading on the WGT624 and the issues I found out I decided to buy another router.  My speeds were slowly decreasing and one thing I learned was a heat issue with the router.  This thing was really hot to the touch.  The router was in a well ventilated area with no contact of sunlight.  I'd unplug it for a few hours then try it out again.  Speeds would be good but then quickly drop.  So I picked up another linksys router (WRT54GS).  I've read mixed reviews on it but still rated pretty high.  My speeds are back to where the should be, right around 5.8+ mbp. 

I won't bash the last router completely.  I swapped it out for a replacement to still run into the same issues.  I would have to say that the reviews I read are pretty strong for what other users have gone through.  I hope netgear does get the issues resolved on this router.  It would be a good one once the bugs are fixed.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Steve