having a big computer problem

Cobra

okay, i have the SB Live! Value sound card from Creative, but i have no sound. i think its the drivers, but they seem up-to-date. i cant reinstall the sound card because i cant access the device manager, because windows has been really screwy (wont let windows update work, neither will some stuff like the device manager...). microsoft is no help, since i cant even find out how to contact them, (closest ive ever gotten was when xp crashed and i took the survey...). gateways no help either, because i violated their warranty contract- (i installed windows xp and added more RAM... sigh...), so they wont help me.

the only thing i can think of doing is manually taking out the sound card, then putting it back in and see if the computer tries to install it. i also havent tried contacting Creative, but i dont have high hopes for their support system...

cobra

pull the card then boot into xp let it sit for about 5min then shut down put the card back in but this time inanother pci slot. then boot into windows let in reinstall the card, with the windows xp drivers, then download the newest drivers from creative, install them and reboot and it will work.