Networking 4000

asmboy

I am currently about to setup another computer to go through this internet connection, but first I have a few questions. I plan to have it setup like this:

[DISH] -> [MODEM] -> [HUB]---crossover---D-link wiireless- ``````````SIGNAL````````` [Wireless card]--[LEAF]. Will this work?

Hey:

Modem to router/hub  right just make sure that you have a wireless card that is the same as your router.  A/B or G or some combo of all of those.  If you don't already have a router you should consider a couple of things.

1) Your pocketbook,  speed costs a little more.

2) A/B or G.  B is the most common still at 11mps,  but that slows down a lot even at a few feet.  :)  G is 54 Mps but with the same story.  Go G if you can.

3) Do you already have wireless phones?  This can KILL your network.  Also do you know if your neighors have networks?this can also honk up the works.  Wireless phones are on .900/2.4/5.8 ghtz.  Wireless networks use 2.4 & 5.8,  you see the problem...  :)  I've used both Linksys and D-link.  If you tell me a little more about your needs I can tell you my thoughts.

Anyway let us know.

Lance

I do have 2 cordless phones. I am basically going to be going about 50 feet from here. Money doesn't matter too much, but I would like to try to purchase something not so expensive. I live out in the sticks, I have about an acre on each side of me to my next neighbor,  and then from there the others are about a mile or more away. So basically the DW4000 modem is going to go into a 2000MHz, which then goes into the D-Link router with a crossover cable. From there its going to send the signal  to the wireless card in my other computer? As of now I have neither a wireless card or a router. I'm still looking for the right product to purchase.Thanks for the help!

Hey:

Your cool with the distance to your neighbors.  the wireless phones might be an issue depending on the frequency you run.  I'd recomend the D-link DGL-4300 (Money no object) or the DI624S and the approprate card.  I've got the dgl-4300 and was using a Di-624 before that.  I WOULD not get the MIMO  stuff yet.  Thats for the new "n" format and the final specifications are not set for that to come to market, so you could end up with something out of spec.

I do some beta testing for D-link as i have a rather extensive home network.  I like the D-link becuase if you have the super G stuff you can run at 108mps,  you will never see that speed but the cool thing is it uses multipule channels so you get far fewer drops when the microwave kicks on,  or the phone if thats an issue.

Anyway,  let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll give it a shot.

Lance

I just checked both phones, and both are Panasonic 2.4ghz. I need to add a card to this 3.4ghz because it didn't come with a wireless card. Does the wireless card go into the slot next to the Ethernet card, or plug into the USB? I saw some 'cards' that plug into the USB,  and 'catch' the signal. Could you please point out a wireless card model thats compliant with the D-Links you pasted. I would greatly appreciate it, as I'm totally new to wireless.

Wow thanks for all the wonderful help. The computer I'm going to be linking isn't a laptop, is this a problem? The more expensive model you pasted is a little too expensive for my blood, as of now. I don't do any gaming, I just need something to get my other box on the net. I was also wondering from the LEAF computer if I could have another crossover cable going into my other computer (running Gentoo). I think I'm going to go with the 624 and the 44 dollar wireless card. Thanks A LOT!

asmboy, ICS with the DW4000 is easy. I run my Dell 8250 (host), Compaq Presario 2100 Laptop and an old Dell XPS 400 I revamped. All run WINXP Home. First of all, I would not recommend using a router. Trying to configure a router with this setup is possible but not necessary. You need a HUB. They are very inexpensive. For wireless, you will need a Wireless Access Point. These two products will work together. With my other desktop (Dell XPS 400), I use a wireless USB adapter. The laptop uses a wireless card. Here's the setup.

Dish to DW4000.

DW4000 USB to HOST computer.

HOST computer to HUB (using cable from HOST ethernet card).

HUB to Wireless Access Point.

Wireless Access Point to all wireless computers!

The cost of this setup should not be too expensive. I use all Linksys equipment. I've been using 802.11b for years. It's old technology, but it works! If I did it again I'd use the 802.11g. File transferring is faster. By the way, I made sure my phones were not 2.4. I use 5.8. Good luck!

Hmm.. I like that idea, but it sounds like it would cost a lot more.. Figuring buying the HUB and the Wireless access point AND the wireless card. I am VERy new to this, and I like the way you have yours setup. I'm not sure what models go with which though, thats my problem.

I was just wondering where you were going to plug the usb cable that comes out of the dway 4000 into?

Or do you have a 4020 gateway or a 4010 brighton?

As I recall you need a host pc to accept the usb then you can send it out of the host through the ethernet port into a wireless router or access point, or an internal pci or external usb wireless.

WHERES THE LAN?

SATTECH