What is broadband?

GKuljian

I've been a DW customer for a long time. The first few years were good. Now, about once a year I find the connectivity to be absolutely rotten. A speed test can show anything from moment to moment. I'm surprised that tech support even asks to do a speed test, knowing that. So I did one last night. It came up with a blazing speed of 200kps. The tech said that was a good speed. I said it wasn't even broadband. And I then realized that their definition and mine, were not the same. What is broadband? Is there even a standard definition?

Thanks!

So then, that's like paying for a gallon of gas, except that the pump can stop anywhere it wants. You may get a gallon, you may get a pint.

I think we needed to demand a ceiling on the number of customers that can be serviced by a given satellite. But then it's so complex, that's why they are able to pull this stunt.

Actually, broadband has made my life wonderful. I've been able to live on a mountaintop in the middle of nowhere, and rock out to music from the university of Massechusetts. Or Burnaby, British Columbia. I've grown accustomed to it. I expect it.

Yep ...I stick with my above definition....lol.....here is what google says...

Definitions of Broadband on the Web:

Capable of handling frequencies greater than those required for high-grade voice communications.

www.wgcu.org/watch/hdtv_glossaryofterms.html

A descriptive term for evolving digital technology that provides consumers a single switch facility offering integrated access to voice, high-speed data service, video demand services, and interactive delivery services.

www.voip-architecture.com/glossary/glossary.html

A transmission medium capable of supporting a wide range of frequencies, typically from audio up to video frequencies. It can carry multiple signals by dividing the total capacity of the medium into multiple, independent bandwidth channels, where each channel operates only on a specific range of frequencies.

www.verio.com/support/files/glossary.cfm

Broadband comes from the words "broad bandwidth" and is used to describe a high-capacity, two-way link between an end user and access network suppliers capable of supporting full-motion, interactive video applications.

www.broadband.gc.ca/pub/technologies/bbdictionary.html

A classification of the information capacity or bandwidth of a communication channel. Broadband is generally taken to mean bandwidth higher than 2 Mbps.

www.3gnewsroom.com/html/glossary/b.shtml

Broadband refers to telecommunication that provides multiple channels of data over a single communications medium, typically using some form of frequency or wave division multiplexing.

www.satx.rr.com/wireless/glossary.htm

(1) Transmission facility having a bandwidth greater than 20kHz; capable of high-speed data transmission. (2) Analog transmission technique used with data and video transmissions that provides multiple channels for users through frequency division multiplexing.

www.sprint.com/sprint/ir/it/ig.html

A broad bandwidth communications channel capable of supporting high capacity ISDN services or other integrated voice, data and video applications.

www.adaptivedigital.com/services/serv_definitions.htm

A transmission method in which the networks range of transmission frequencies is divided into separate channels and each channel is used to send a different signal. Broadband is often used to send different types of signals simultaneously.

www.epibiostat.ucsf.edu/epidem/WWWglossary.html

An adjective used to describe large-capacity networks that are able to carry several services at the same time, such as data, voice, and video.

shopfort3.com/t1terms.cfm

A term for high-speed, high-capacity Internet and data connections.

www02.sbc.com/DSL_new/content/1,,45,00.html

The term applied to networks having bandwidths significantly greater than that found in telephony networks. Broadband systems are capable of carrying a large number of moving images or a vast quantity of data simultaneously. Broadband techniques usually depend on coaxial or optical cable.

www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/csit/vidconf/glossary.shtml

Broadband refers to communications medium that uses wide-bandwidth channels for sending and receiving large amounts of data, video or voice information.

www.glossary-of-terms.net/glossary-cell-phone-terms-definitions.html

Generally refers to a user access network connection with bandwidth approximately 1 Mbps or more. It is essential for graphic-intensive websites, music services and video applications. Common forms of broadband include DSL (Digital Subscriber Line), cable modem, WiFi (wireless access), and Metro Ethernet (Ethernet access over optical fiber).

newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2004/hd_051904c.html

A method of transmission in which data flows from source to destination in a different form that existed at the source. Although typically referring to copper, it denotes transmission facilities capable of handling a wide range of frequencies simultaneously, thus permitting multiple channels in data systems, rather than direct modulation.

www.cetpak.com/Technical/glossary.htm

Communications channels which use modulated carrier signals for data, like radio waves, and are therefore faster and more capacious than baseband (ie. they have a higher bandwidth). Examples are satellite and fibre optic cable systems.

www.christlinks.com/glossary2.html

A transmission medium that can carry signals from multiple independent network carriers on a single coaxial or fiber optic cable by establishing different bandwidth channels. This technique is called frequency-division multiplexing. Broadband technology can support a wide range of frequencies and is used to transmit data, voice, and video over long distances.

alt.uno.edu/glossary.html

The technique used to multiplex multiple networks on a single cable without interfering with each other. Technologies that allow you to transmit or receive higher volumes of data at higher speeds.

bwcecom.belden.com/college/Cable101/data%20glossary.HTM

a transmission channel able to simultaneously carry multiple signals.

www.geocities.com/Athens/2405/glossary.html

1: operating at, responsive to, or comprising a wide band of frequencies <a broadband radio antenna> 2: of, relating to, or being a communications network in which a frequency range is divided into multiple independent channels for simultaneous transmission of signals (as voice, data, or video).

www.falconsec.com/Glossary.html

When the bandwidth of a signal is large, it can simultaneously carry many channels of information. For example, fiber optic cable has a very high bandwidth and is referred to as broadband.

www.emba.uvm.edu/util/html/definitions.php

This term has a number of meanings. It was coined originally to describe a channel with more bandwidth (bits per second) than a standard voice grade channel, usually a 48 KHz link, equivalent to twelve voice grade channels. Such channels are gradually being superseded by digital circuits. Today, the term refers to the ability of a network to carry digital signals at the high bandwidth used by cable television, ranging from 550MHz to 1GHz. A single TV channel requires 6MHz. In addition, the term

Thank you. Darnit, that's just what I thought. Anything from phone line on up. What a joke. But then, it is a relatively new medium. However, there is a definition for those who are using it in their businesses. I have often joked with the techs by saying that the president of Direcway sure as hell gets broadband all of the time.

I've been a DW customer for a long time. The first few years were good. Now, about once a year I find the connectivity to be absolutely rotten. A speed test can show anything from moment to moment. I'm surprised that tech support even asks to do a speed test, knowing that. So I did one last night. It came up with a blazing speed of 200kps. The tech said that was a good speed. I said it wasn't even broadband. And I then realized that their definition and mine, were not the same. What is broadband? Is there even a standard definition?

To me broadband is not pings ranging from 900-3000ms.

You must also keep in mind a great deal of the techs do not even know the location of NOC....myself would sure think the techs would all know whats going at NOC. At least they should know enough to look at radar for that location to take in consideration of weather at both locations etc.....

One tech told me all he knew about NOC; "located in U.S." ! Basically most of the ones I have dealt with seem as if they just read from

To me broadband is not pings ranging from 900-3000ms.

You must also keep in mind a great deal of the techs do not even know the location of NOC....myself would sure think the techs would all know whats going at NOC. At least they should know enough to look at radar for that location to take in consideration of weather at both locations etc.....

One tech told me all he knew about NOC; "located in U.S." ! Basically most of the ones I have dealt with seem as if they just read from  a manual or tell big lies to try to fix your problem. Very interesting game if you have all day to waste and like to hear lies 1. 

1 lies told directly to me: "very good speed", "radar jamming affecting your system", "my DirecWay says your upload is near 300Kbps", "there is no problem for us to fix", "should be good enough for you", "the 4000 is not faster then 6000", "all account types shares the same speeds". the list goes on and on and on it a sad thing the system should be and very well could be much better then it is. They just continue adding more accounts everyday to eat up bandwidth that is already limited.

I wonder if they have a random "Lie of the day" to tell people...

All account types share the same speeds? They aren't supposed to. Why the heck would they say that?

They were trying to convince me of this:

right now my uploads are rock bottom on my consumer account, according to them the cooperate accounts are running the same speed

Hahaha! Check this out. (Long ago I told a tech that I thought DW had oversold their bandwidth. I felt so guilty, because I wasn't certain of my claim. I'm pretty certain now.)

Edit- Actually I have to modify my post. My usual speeds, however slow, are rarely this bad. This forum is like a doctor's office- we come here when things are bad. I never run speed tests when things are going well.

Nothing changed but the time of day...no weather on either test

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 89 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 11 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Wed Apr 13 06:05:11 EDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 93.09 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 111.9 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-24XVZRTW0

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 0 kB/s

Test Time:: Tue Apr 12 20:11:31 EDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 0 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 9.52 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QDHY7ABCL

Broadband is much much faster then below, I would say 100+, ISDN is still dialing, so i don't think that counts.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 23 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 3 kB/s

Test Time:: Wed Apr 13 04:51:10 PDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB download in 341.33 sec

Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 100 % of your hosts average (ispwest.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-17BCWY4TI

:::.. Upload Stats ..::: (should be at least 22)

Connection is:: 18 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 2 kB/s

Test Time:: Wed Apr 13 04:59:51 PDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 512 sec

Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 100 % of your hosts average (ispwest.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-9SVN7IK8O

About calling TS about 200, I had the same thing with Ground Control and I flat out told them they were full of ****, then hung up, don't do that though, really should be nice.

Let's start a class action suit.

They may not guarantee broadband, but we sure aren't getting it.

I'm not sure it would go too far. How would one prove anything, let alone some kind of suffering. I'll say I've suffered. I expected to be able to do certain things for my monthly payments. Most of the time, I have been able to do those things. But it's somewhere around 10% of the time when I can't.

I agree, broadband is around 500Kps. That is the speed neccisary to do the things that are advertised. Or implied in their advertisements.

GKuljian 

...the only thing implied by their add is in reference to a 33K modem....and if you read the TOS...that we both singed and agreed to....that states that they don't even guarantee that it'll work...lol  :haha:

I agree with ya....but the verbage covers their but.......besides...it's hard is sue a company in India...lol

I consider Broadband to be 512Kbps or higher.

If you have any other choice at all, get rid of DW.

I am currently on a stable 1500/512 DSL, but I suffered thru 6 years of dial-up between 24k and 50k.

In my opinion a 128K ISDN would be somwhat slower but much more stable than DW, also MUCH better latency.

I dont mean to slam you into the ground, but D***, do you really think that we would stick with this crap if we had any other choice? come on dude!

Well thats nice to know you are not one of the less fortunate people that dont have any other option! so if I was you I would go somewhere else and brag about your cable/dsl.....

Some of us here have enough problems with our equipment and because we have no other choice we had to buy the crap! so dont give us the "If you have any other choice at all, get rid of DW" if we had any other choice we would have, would we not?

So in return all I have to say to you mr 14 year old is DUHHHHHH

Floyd, I could live without broadband except for one thing- Streaming audio.

I listen to radio stations of the world. That is primarily what the internet is, for me. And it's impossible without at least twice modem speed.

Having said that, I think the reason most of us have Direc(t)way is because we are smart enough/ lucky enough to live in very remote areas of the world. It's worth it, to me. But it can get extremely frustrating when trying to listen to radio, and have it drop out or disconnect. I should probably be ashamed of myself for complaining. Especially since my last place was a big ranch overlooking the world. And I could still get radio. I could still rock and roll in the middle of nowhere. I could write a book on it. And noone would want to hear about it.