xp question......

Guest helloimtim

Guest helloimtim

Getting ready in a week or 2 to build my own computer. Im cheeting some with a bare bones system. Motherboard, chip, case. power supply. Anyway. My xp home came pre installed with my computer. Think uncle bill will let me use it in my new computer?? I have all the information, key, my computer specs and all the serial, model numbers. ITs an 80 gig 7200 rpm harddrive. Thanks........

You may be able to rip just windows off the disk.. but if you try to install it straight out youll just corrupt everything. because the disk that came with your comp includes the installation of drivers and whatnot config'd to your old machine.

If you mean to insert the harddrive from the old computer into your new computer with XP already installed on it, then no. That work work. Because when you install XP on a computer it only loads the drivers needed for the specific motherboard and CPU that you're using. So in short, you need to reinstall XP if that's your case.

If you want to use the same CD for XP then that will be fine. By law, it's not acceptable but your computer still accepts it.

Hope that helped.

Gareh

Guest helloimtim

After reading what you all had to say makes sense. To take my current harddrive with xp home (compaq computer) and try to install on my new computer would throw things way off. I guess with it being oem its a whole new ball game compared to the xp home disk. If any one has any more ideas  that would be cool. I forsure want xp legal. Not worth getting caught for a lousy 100 bucks. I will say going with a bare bones system goodness tons of choices. Think I found what I am forsure gonna go with. The system will forsure be a server type case. Overkill yes. But cooling the whole system is second to none. still have a week to change my mind 20 times before a firm choice is made. Thanks all...............

Since Windows was pre-loaded into your machine than you have a OEM version of Windows and an OEM license meaning that its for one machine only, the original machine. So legally you cannot transfer your license to the new machine.

Illegally you can make it work though,

depends on what kinda copy of xp it is if its a copy from dell, gateway, alieanware, Falcon NW, or a good manufactor like that then its gonna be a real copy of xp stright from microsoft just with a different label. But other manufactors use a OEM copy of xp that will only work on that specific computer , like a HP/compaq compy of xp will only work on a hp/compaq computer. for example my dell server came with a real copy on xp it just says dell all over it.  but it will work in any computer and there is no cd required for it to install or regester. just make shure what kinda copy of xp you have.

Guest helloimtim

Thank you very much. I apreciate it. I think I will just avoid all the garbage and buy a new copy of xp. Need the disk anyway also I hate all that pre installed garbage compaq put on my disk. I will just wipe my new harddrive clean then start xp from scratch. I will only do this after all my hardware is installed. The harddrive goes in last. If I am smart enough later this summer I will put a pic of my new compter and what I am running. Case loooks really cool. Sides are transparent and have blue lights. Thanks again...........

I think that if it were illegal, the MS customer support folks would not re-activate the OS after a move to a new box. Using a the OEM disk that came with a bundled computer usually fails because it is looking for a string in the bios of the machine you are trying to load. This is especially true with Dell machines. Their OS disks and drivers are useless on anything but their own machines.You can use a generic OEM disk to load the OS and then enter any license key, whether that key came from a bundled computer or a retail box, just as long as that license is not being used on an active machine. Borrow an XP disk from a friend, it doesn't matter whether it is a SP1 or plain old XP. Load the machine while it is connected to the net and the setup disk will configure your NIC to get a minimal connection to download the actual files it will use for setup.

I just moved the licenses from two defunct XP machines with PIII processors to new bigger machines, no problems with the set-up or the activation. They HAD to activated by phone as opposed to on-line, but thats a big savings when you don't have to throw away a license with a machine. I have another one to do next week. This one should be a real test. The OS originally came bundled with a Dell laptop which crashed and burned years ago. It then went into a dual PIII Xeon machine. That machine was reverted back to Win2K and used as a data server. And then the OS found its way into a 1.3 Gig AMD machine. with a cheapo MB. After two years of steady use in a college dorm room, that box is getting recycled and the OS is moving into a new P4 machine where it will live, probably until Longhorn comes out (forever).

Yeah...to a degree. License keys associated with a preloaded computer from Dell, HP, etc... were first sold by MS to that manufacturer. MS does not provide support on these keys. The OEM provides support. This is the reason that the disks that are supplied with these bundled machines, restrict loading the OS to only their respective machines. The bios of the Dell, HP and other machines have a string saved in them that identify the machine's manufacturer. The OS and driver disks supplied with these machines look for that string before they will execute a setup. They're not just trying to be pricks. ....well....not entirely