omg *faint* plz help...

dadu3o3

So i have Qwest DSL 1.5 but my download is 438 Kbps (about 0.4 Mbps) and my upload is 227 Kbps (about 0.2 Mbps)....i find that very sad....plus i'm kinda down because my friend just got 1.5 and his download is 1300ish and i had my 1.5 for like months and it never has gotten that far...what is wrong with my internet spd....can someone help me plz?

what kind of details would u need and how would i get them? could you tell me so i can help u guys help me :D lol

EDIT: i think the main reason it might be low because our internet doen't connect directly to the phone jack. first we have a extension that connects to the phone jack, and our phone and internet is connected to the extension. So is my internet slow because it isn't connected directly to the phone jack?

EDIT: i think the main reason it might be low because our internet doen't connect directly to the phone jack. first we have a extension that connects to the phone jack, and our phone and internet is connected to the extension. So is my internet slow because it isn't connected directly to the phone jack?

I find that unlikely, what Operating System do you have?

If you are on dsl my guess is, i have cable so this is a shot into the wind, you want to have the modem connect to the phone jack as close as possible... If you are on an extended run with any type of cable you begin to lose speed... However, with telephone cables it seems to happen quicker for some reason... I had a simular problem with my dial up modem when i had to use a 50 foot extention to connect... I was always being dropped and it was slow as hell... USR finally told me that their modems are not made to go on an extention over 15 ft... What ever that meant... So try switching out the cables removing the y adaptor, if that is what you have to connect the internet and the phone on the same connection, and get it a re test... How old is your instal of your os??? Have you checked for spyware? just simple system cleaning will resolve most of the problems... if you find that the speed improves from moving the modem closer to the phone jack then move it right next to it and run an ethernet cable to your computer... you can put over 150ft of ethernet cable before you begin to run in to speed issues... Let us know how this all works out...

Coax, what cable is, has less signal loss per foot and resistance than what RJ11, telephone wire, does.

When you are adding cord on your line, that technically increases your 'loop lenght'. Although generally a few feet never really hurts anything, if you are on the end of the allowable distance for dsl already, then it might.

Try to pull everything off of the phone line except the modem and retest. If it's better, plug everything back in and pull things off one by one, test again, and plug it back in if your speeds haven't changed.

I think this would be a good idea as this would help you figure out if you are having any interference on the line from another device.

Finally, I would do some tweaking. Have you done any tweaking on your computer, or is everything still at the defaults?

Good luck. Hope you can get the speeds that you pay for...

If you are on dsl my guess is' date=' i have cable so this is a shot into the wind, you want to have the modem connect to the phone jack as close as possible... If you are on an extended run with any type of cable you begin to lose speed... However, with telephone cables it seems to happen quicker for some reason... I had a simular problem with my dial up modem when i had to use a 50 foot extention to connect... I was always being dropped and it was slow as hell... USR finally told me that their modems are not made to go on an extention over 15 ft... What ever that meant... So try switching out the cables removing the y adaptor, if that is what you have to connect the internet and the phone on the same connection, and get it a re test... How old is your instal of your os??? Have you checked for spyware? just simple system cleaning will resolve most of the problems... if you find that the speed improves from moving the modem closer to the phone jack then move it right next to it and run an ethernet cable to your computer... you can put over 150ft of ethernet cable before you begin to run in to speed issues... Let us know how this all works out...[/quote']

hmm...yea i think i might have some spyware :( but i have ad-aware to control that, i don't even know if it works but yea i'll try it thx, and thx everyone who's helping me

Coax, what cable is, has less signal loss per foot and resistance than what RJ11, telephone wire, does.

When you are adding cord on your line, that technically increases your 'loop lenght'. Although generally a few feet never really hurts anything, if you are on the end of the allowable distance for dsl already, then it might.

Try to pull everything off of the phone line except the modem and retest. If it's better, plug everything back in and pull things off one by one, test again, and plug it back in if your speeds haven't changed.

I think this would be a good idea as this would help you figure out if you are having any interference on the line from another device.

Finally, I would do some tweaking. Have you done any tweaking on your computer, or is everything still at the defaults?

Good luck. Hope you can get the speeds that you pay for...

i tried to unplug everything other then the modem, but now it's funning 300ish. and nope, haven't tried any tweaking, i don't know how to, afraid i might mess up the comp.

try running this program... http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php This is what I use and it removes just about everything... are you running any antivirus?

Also have you updated your drivers for your network card?

i have norton antivirus and i don't think i've updated my drivers for the network card. how do u do that? sorry i'm so slow

i have norton antivirus and i don't think i've updated my drivers for the network card. how do u do that? sorry i'm so slow

OMG! it worked, i changed filters and what not and now i'm 1220/438. YAY! i'm so happy, big change, thx guys! you guys are great!

:lol: Good now make sure that you run that program once a week to keep the speed... Noobs... letting spyware take over their computer... :roll:

heheh thanks this noob is happy :D and yep i'll make sure i'll scan once a week, and you were once a noob too :D hehehehe well thx

The closer a connection is to the mpop the faster the connection will be.....What this means is you want to be as close as possible to where your connection is terminated by your vendor......the more cable that is involved the more resistance you will encounter......that means slower speeds......but I don't believe your connection is being slowed down by that large of an amount......as you know a DSL has to be within a certain distance of the C.O. in order to work at all.....your only getting less than one third of the speed you pay for......so I think you have more problems than a line cord......if you could hook up another computer to see if you get a better speed ......that would be the easy way to test and get an idea if its your problem or your ISP'S problem:):).

8) Microwave

The closer a connection is to the mpop the faster the connection will be.....What this means is you want to be as close as possible to where your connection is terminated by your vendor......the more cable that is involved the more resistance you will encounter......that means slower speeds......but I don't believe your connection is being slowed down by that large of an amount......as you know a DSL has to be within a certain distance of the C.O. in order to work at all.....your only getting less than one third of the speed you pay for......so I think you have more problems than a line cord......if you could hook up another computer to see if you get a better speed ......that would be the easy way to test and get an idea if its your problem or your ISP'S problem:):).

8) Microwave