Too fast computers?

Swimmer

Should we pass this bill to limit the speed of computer to foriegn countries?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should we pass this bill to limit the speed of computer to foriegn countries?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only to the ones that present a danger to us

Yes you read the title... Too fast computers... for our enemies that is. The USDOD, United State Department of Defense, is considering lowering the current requirement for the use of special licenses for exporting computers to foreign countries. The current requirement is a computer with 32 Intel Itanium Processors... With this new bill it would require every computer that is faster than a P3 650MHz require one of these new licenses.

Today, computer sellers are required to get a license to export any computer with performance equal to or greater than a system with 32 Intel Itanium processors. The current version of the defense authorization act would lower that limit to systems deemed "militarily critical" by the Department of Defense. That level is currently set to the equivalent of a computer using a Pentium 3 processor running at 650MHz, state of the art in 1999 but considered feeble today. -Cnet.com

Here is a little graphic that shows you how much speed is really needed in the military..

computerspeed.JPG

For more info on this topic check this story out... http://news.com.com/Defense+bill+could+stifle+computer+trade/2100-7341_3-5253873.html?tag=cnetfd.buzz

I cant see the threat in fast pc .................

I think its more a software issue :P

But i dunno, should we in sweden stop selling high tech steel to some countrys cos they might use it in millitary use?

Well i dont like the idea, that will only bring more unfairness in the world and not a long term relationship to secure piece.

VanBuren :)

Yes you read the title... Too fast computers... for our enemies that is. The USDOD, United State Department of Defense, is considering lowering the current requirement for the use of special licenses for exporting computers to foreign countries. The current requirement is a computer with 32 Intel Itanium Processors... With this new bill it would require every computer that is faster than a P3 650MHz require one of these new licenses.

Here is a little graphic that shows you how much speed is really needed in the military..

computerspeed.JPG

For more info on this topic check this story out... http://news.com.com/Defense+bill+could+stifle+computer+trade/2100-7341_3-5253873.html?tag=cnetfd.buzz

I missed that list of how fast pc some weapons need

Well i still dont think its a good way to stop it, like i said in my post before.

There will always be a risk that wrong ppl can get hold of em anyway.

like i said before, i compare it with Swedish steel.

VanBuren :)

• 7 years later...