Good speed but high ping?

b_a88

I have tested my speed several times and it seems ok and good and where it is supposed to be. But then if I check my ping or try to play a game on-line my ping is sky high. Is this even possible to have a fast connection that is working ok and still have sky high ping? I need some help either way.

Well what would cause it to suddenly go up? Because it was much lower and hadn't had any problems until this past week.

EDIT: What is considered a high ping any way?  I tried a check utility I found on here some where and the autocheck thing shows about a 85 ping.

Not real sure but now in a game it says it is high and I can't join most servers because of it and when I can join a server the ping is so high in game that it is completely unplayable now.

I guess it could be the game because I just put in a patch for it but no one else is really having the same problem though so I thought it had to be some thing else.

Over the last week the connection has been real screwy and inconsistant but it seems to be fixed now.

Maybe I'll try another game to see if there is a problem in an other game.

• 3 months later...

You can also ask for FastPath connection latency rather than Interleave ... it will be a pain to get it done, but trust me it will be well worth it.  Youll see ping times go down into the 25-40 range and stay there.  Keep in mind, that you do need a specific set of conditions on the line to get FastPath.  Generally, if your download noise margin is above 18db then loading you on FastPath will keep you in sync.  However, if it starts to drop below that, you may begin to experince intermittent sync conditions.  Have a Vzn tech run a test on your line and find out what the download side noise margin is. 

Yes load coils will severly affect the strength of a DSL signal as they can add several thousand feet to your loop length. 

$h*t they added alot man it was around 5600 feet and shot upto about 12,000 feet.  how did they add so much wire and why do they do that if you know.

• 1 year later...

HELLO EVERYONE :)

I have the same problem as posted, but I have multihundreds ping.  I checked my speed on a speedtest and it's fast - about 2-3Mbps down.  Anyone tell me WHY exactly I am getting a high ping even with a connection speed like this?

Much appreciated in advance,

Cl

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem sometimes.

Normaly I have 20-60 ping. But in last 2 months I have more then 150ping.

Just to clear something out first. The high ping is around 90+. At 90 you can still play the game, but you will not kill as many enemies as you would with 60ping. Now, with 150+ ping you cant even play. Because as soon as you click fire button on your mouse the game jams for you, and you get killed.

My friend once told me "maybe you have spyware/adwere or some shit like that". So I instal CClean, SpyTerminator and lot others. But they never find anything. So I was thinking, even tho I have NOD32(antivirus), which is active all the time, maybe some virus is in my PC(like spyware), that NOD didnt detect, and now no other program can't detect it when its in. So I get connected on one server and then hit CTRL+ALT+DEL once to enter in Windows Task Manager. And I enter in Processes part to see if some program is using my RAM memory when I play the game. And I see that my explorer.exe file is using 70% of it.

I fix this problem by formating my C hard drive and reinstaling windows again on it.

Then I install CS again, and I have 20-40ping. It works every time.

The only problem with this, is  that I need to reinstal all the drivers and all the programs I need. And it last few hours.