Hallelujah

Devolt

Just found a company that will do DSL for me...I only have two months left on my Dway contract, so I'll just fork it over instead of paying the cancellation fee. ($120 vs. $300, those idiots).

I've already signed up and can't wait to get it. It's a dedicated line that will cost  me $74.99 a month, but I'll gladly pay an extra $10/month to end the DirecWay nightmare and get REAL broadband!

Anyways, sorry to gloat, but I've been waiting for this a LONG time. I hope the rest of you find such luck soon and friggin Dway goes out of business.  :evil1:

I dont want to burst your bubble but you ought to get it connected and working before you cancel the Dway. The phone Co. here has locally sent and installed modems to people up to 9 miles out. And guess What? Duh it didnt ever Work.  So those people who were all excited about getting it  were still going without.

Im 7 miles out and DWAY is the Only Choice :whaa:.  But if your in a town somewhere Get hooked up on DSL or Cable.

Phone companies WILL and DO often sign people up for DSL when it isn't even available.

My local telco signed me up 3 months before they even had their equipment installed, I complained and eventually signed on later when it did actually become available (TDS.net).

My Mom signed up for DSL, they had the modem in the mail and was even going to bill her before they realized it wasnt even available in her neighborhood, she lived 8 miles out (Bellsouth).

Seems like telcos/ISPs dont know if they can or cant install DSL until the last second..

Megapath told me they could offer DSL in my town, oopps, 2 months later they cant and never could, TDS wont contract the line.

Just dont get too excited and dont do anything drastic until the sucker is sitting there running and you are on testmy.net bragging about it.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of SpeeD is this DSL company offering, and are you subject to FAP?

Hope it works out for ya!        NeeDSpeeD

Actually I dont know if DSL has such a thing as FAP.

I can download at a full 1.5Mbps contsantly for days if I wish, I do however have a transfer limit of 50GB per month as agreed in the acceptable use policy.

Going over 50GB two months straight can lead to TDS requiring an upgrade to commercial DSL.

I give the bandwidth a workout as I am heavy Bittorrent user, I rarely ever top 40GB.

Actually I dont know if DSL has such a thing as FAP.

I can download at a full 1.5Mbps contsantly for days if I wish, I do however have a transfer limit of 50GB per month as agreed in the acceptable use policy.

Going over 50GB two months straight can lead to TDS requiring an upgrade to commercial DSL.

I give the bandwidth a workout as I am heavy Bittorrent user, I rarely ever top 40GB.

an AUP is about the same as a FAP

That AUP is a lot better than the DirecWay FAP though.

lol, thats so true... :haha:

169MB/4 hours compared to 50GB per month?

169MB/4 hours = 20280MB/month, which we have to download at speeds of about 11KB/s or less to avoid FAP...

I put a cap on my own speed at 20 KB one time to try to avoid getting FAPed because I wanted to do a large download. But it didn't work. I still got FAPed before the download finished. It was 700 something MB. It ended up taking me two days to get it because of the FAP.

Thanks for all the replies people.

I'm wondering if the distance will be an issue since the nice sales-lady (probably clueless, lol) on the phone told me they would have to run a "dedicated line" for me since I am somewhat "out-of-the-loop". Of course, I have no idea what this means, but I know I have to pay extra for it, so hopefully it means that it will work!  :lol:

Fortunately, the have a 30 day trial period before you have to commit to anything, so that is pretty sweet. I'll let you fellas know what's up when I get everything setup. That was good advice someone posted above about not cancelling Dway until the DSL is up and blazing. Good call.

Anyhow, thanks again for the feedback and good advice, I'll let you guys know what happens. In the mean time I'll just keep my fingers crossed.