The 1970's

netmasta

Some of that isn't.  I have an old farm house that was redone in the seventies.  That bathroom: picture it in pink wallpaper and Rasberry Ice Cream purple toilet, tub, and sink Picture a Black marblesque toilet seat as well :shock:.  Thats my upstairs bath (Haven't renovated it yet).

Probably for upper class yuppies in Better Homes & Gardens magazine.Nothing like my parents house (I was only 17 in 1970).A couple of years later my first hippie pad sure looked a lot cooler man.

Your hippie pad!?....LOL  I didn't know any hippies that worshiped the DUKE.  :lol:

bwt1953 : Well I guess us Texas hippies are different than the San Francisco hippies.Janis Joplin was a good old Texas hippie.

The years have changed the hippie in me some anyway but I did just cut my hair from shoulder legnth ( my usual winter legnth) to quite a bit shorter for summer.I've been doing that for 20 years or so .Before that I hardly ever cut it shorter than shoulder legnth.

But you are from that generation so you know Tie dye sheet curtains .fish nets hanging from the ceiling.cool psycadelic posters(both blacklight & regular,Lava lamp.strobe light, music sensored colored light boxes,Tuck& roll velvet headboard,king size bed.velvet curtains.swag lamps.egg shaped pedestal stereo,TV,&speakers with a few more regular "square speakers" My house mate had a on the floor water bed (they weren't making the pedestal type yet at least not available here) So for a young hippie pretty cool pad.

If you think about it most of John Wayne's movies are pre 1970.

bwt1953 :I guess the army did keep th barracks redecorating to a mimimum.I wasn't drafted so I was never in the military.

Not to imply you were drafted you may have voluntered.If your member stats are correct that would have been 1972 to 79.

The Veit Nam war was almost over did you have to go?I had a freind in the army during that time who did service in Germany & was never sent to VN.On the other hand a girlfreind's brother was a tunnel rat in VN He commited suicide about 2 years after coming home.Didn't you have freinds outside the military that had apartments that were simular or even before 1972 older freinds or siblings that did.I have heard of people treating soldiers badly during that time it just didn't seem to happen here.At least from what I saw.I wasn't in to the take any drug somebody handed you thing either.

I did smoke herbs other than tobacco (I bet that admision would be hard to use in court) But I quit that over 20 years ago.

And would be the first one to recomend staying drug free to the younger generation.

bwt1953 : I never wore a leisure suit ,white belt or white shoes much less let anyone take my picture in them.

I wore Levi bell bottom denim jeans mostly,T shirt or tank top some times tie dyed ones.I did have a Neru jacket though.

The really big bell bottom pants(not Levi regular bells) Looked OK if you were just standing but got in the way if you were doing anything.Basically the "individual doing his own thing" just like all his freinds.

coknuck: I liked the regular Levis bells the best I was pretty lean back then about 165 lbs now about 185.So they fit the best.But I had some of the Levi Big Bells too.I have heard the vintage ones sell in Japan for $150 to $200 a pair.

I was lucky my brother worked at Levis in 1974 to 1976 I got a good discount.Both kind aprox.$7.00  a pair

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wmmc

Missed this topic, I just have to add.

I hated disco music, and used to wear corduroys(spelling), I turned 16 in 1980(another big day is May 18 when Mount St. Helens blew her top, I'm only about an hour away).

Disco was around 1980 and 1981, possibly 1982 with roller skates type and ice rinks places.

By 1980 rap was starting check out the song sample "Rappers Delight" in the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000033K4/thestepbystepdis%22%3EThe%20Best%20Of%20SugarHill%20Gang%3A%20Rapper%27s/102-2881332-6339327

There is probably earlier rap I just didn't look for any.Because my music prefference is mostly Rock.

Guest wmmc

Not to get in a debate about of all things disco it was the mid/late 70's, but I also suppose it depends were you grew up, the skating rinks around here would play some in the very early 80's, then all the sudden it died.

Edit: Oh and who really cares anyway. :lol:

wmmc : In 1980 I was 27 so I wasn't hanging around the skating rink.When I was young enough to hang around the skating rink they played kind of polka music.The year I was 20 they made 18 the legal drinking age in Texas it has since been changed back to 21.That was 1973 I went to some already established Discos to dance.It's where the women were..I really prefered the rock bar that had live bands though.It was not as good a place to pick up women.So I remember when disco was around at least in Amarillo Texas.Btw country western bars probably out numbered discos 4 to 1 here.Have you ever been in a disco with a lighted dance floor that strobed to the music that was probably the best part.But now disco R.I.P.

Guest wmmc

The skating rink did the strobe light thing, not sure the years though, I was around 9 to 15 or so at the time.

But I never been to a place that catered to disco with the strobe lights, etc.

Edited age range.

wmmc: The dance floors of this kind were an opaque plexie glass with colored lights underneath that formed different patterns to the music.When they ran them fast it created a strobe effect.But most of them had the bright flashing type strobes overhead aimed at the dance floor that they ran some of the time.I don't think there are many of these around now.