The 1970's

netmasta

Guest wmmc

Well these days the only thing I can recall was the colors, sparkling effect of the strobes, or something to that effect, I can't even remember what type of music I listened to back then.

Guest wmmc

The only thing I remember like it was yesterday was our family would every year when school was out(June) drive to Sallisaw, Oklahoma to see Grandma and Grandpa in a 70's station wagon, listening to country western on 8-track.

Wish I could recall gas prices back then.

when i got my liscense in 1969 gas was 29.9 cents a gal. for full service regular leaded.That would almost be racing fuel compared to todays gas.Much less if you used super Shell premium.By around 1980 it was 69.9 & leaded gas was being phased out.There were no self service stations when I started driving.

i was not even invented in the 1970s

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

just: of course you were invented...you were invented long befor you came here...but in the 1970's you were still "just" a twinkle in ur daddy's eye :P

remember the gas wars...that's what we need now...

but cholla: according to that chart looks like gas in 1970 altho it was less than 50 cents a gallon was equal to about 1.60 today...with inflation and all...1.60 would be great :D

and in 1970 mcdonalds hit 1 million burgers...way big deal...remember?

and in 1970 i refused to even consider owning a color tv...i thought they were evil and would cause cancer...some propaganda i had read somewhere...got one for a wedding present...and i gave it away

tdawnaz : Well those adjusted prices are always skewed toward making it look as close to the same now as then as they can.I was 17in 1970 & still lived  with my parents we had a(1) color TV  & an old B&W that the color one replaced.People now seem to have one in every room.

I know gas was some cheaper in Amarillo than the chart Because so much of it was refined here.The longest gas line I ever waited in here was 5 cars during the shortage & that was when I went at a busy time of day.A lot different than the ones the news showed in California.Some times during the shortage a gas station would have a price 20 or 30 cents a gal. lower that the rest & there would be a longer line I usually just paid the higher price.

In 1969 to about 1972 I still ocasionally only paid 17.9cents a gal. during a gas war.The average price here was 29.9 to 39.9 during that time.

cholla: i too was 17 in 1970...got married on my 17th bday...and guess what didn't "have to get married" :P ...like i said got a color tv for a wedding gift and gave it away...used a b&w one i brought from home...big console job...swivel base...

there was something going on with bread and milk too...can't remember what it was...do you remember?

tdawnaz : I went & looked up some information on what I remembered.

6. Radioiodine, Strontium and other nuclides

All data are peak values unless noted as mean or median values.

DATE LOCATION MEDIA NUCLIDE ACTIVITY

Book, S.A., Garner, R.J., Soldat, J.K. and Bustad, L.K. (1977). Thyroidal burdens of 129I from various dietary sources. Health Physics. 32. pg. 143-148.

This study uses modeled 129I intake rather than actual intake and is one of the first studies to explore the potential pathways of the very long-lived 129I which will become an important source of exposure thousands of years in the future.

Schink, D.R., Santschi, P.H., Corapcioglu, O., Sharma, P. and Fehn, U. (October 1995). 129I in Gulf of Mexico waters. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 135(1-4). pg. 131-138.

Simpson, R.E., Shuman, F.G.D., Baratta, E.J. and Tanner, J.T. (1981). Projected dose commitment from fallout contamination in milk resulting from the 1976 Chinese atmospheric nuclear weapons test. Health Physics. 40. pg. 741-744.

Oct. 1976 Amherst, MA Milk 131I 1,150 pCi/l (42.2 Bq/l)

Reflects a very strong pulse of radioiodine in the cattle-forage pathway after a particularly dirty Chinese test explosion.

These contamination levels reached range III of the 1961 FRC protective action guidelines. See RADNET Section 6, for an extended discussion of radiation protection guidelines.

For more comments including a scan of this article, see our special appendix: Contaminated milk: A paradigm.

Robens, E. and Aumann, D.C. (1988). Iodine-129 in the environment of a nuclear fuel reprocessing plant: I. 129I and 127I contents of soils, food crops and animal products. J. Environ. Radioactivity. 7. pg. 159-175.

Between 1971-1985 this fuel reprocessing facility released about 7.3 x 109 Bq of 129I to the environment.

This article contains the first detailed analysis of 129I in food crops, which generally range in 10-6 Bq/kg or lower. The peak value of 129I concentration in leeks was noted as 1.1x10-6 Bq/g; tobacco was anomalous at 15x10-6 Bq/g.

This volume begins an important series of reports on 129I pathways.

These are pre-Chernobyl peak concentrations.

United States Environmental Protection Agency. (1986). Environmental Radiation Data: Report 44-45: October 1985-March 1986. Report No. EPA520/5-86-018. U.S. EPA, Washington D.C.

12/18/85 Minot, ND Milk 131I 34 pCi/l pv

12/18/85 Memphis, TN Milk 131I 13 pCi/l

Most pre-Chernobyl 131I levels are recorded as below 10 pCi/l, which the EPA lists as their minimum detectable level for both radiocesium and radioiodine.

4. Cesium Baseline (to 1986)

Cesium-137 is the nuclide of choice in this Web site for the documentation of both stratospheric fallout contamination and Chernobyl derived fallout (See Section 10). Strontium-90 is the nuclide most associated with weapons fallout, and it occurred in larger quantities in stratospheric fallout than radiocesium. However, radiocesium is the largest constituent of spent fuel, the most prevalent long-lived component of the tropospheric plume which originated at Chernobyl, and an omnipresent fission product resulting from most nuclear industries and activities.

Most of the following baseline data are pre-Chernobyl peak concentrations unless otherwise noted.

Data is compiled from dry weight samples unless noted as wet weight, except milk.

Baseline data is listed in order of the date of the research, beginning with data collected in the early days of nuclear testing.

DATE LOCATION MEDIA NUCLIDE ACTIVITY

Memo: To obtain becquerels per unit of measurement, divide picocuries by 27.

Booker, D.V. (1959). Cesium-137 in dried milk. Nature,183. pg. 921-924.

1957 England Milk 137Cs 870 pCi/kg

Data collected near the Windscale accident.

Yamagata, N., Kodaira, K. and Hiroshi, H. (1962). Cesium-137 in Japanese people and diet. Journal of Radiation Research, 3, 3, 182-192.

Feb. 1962 Japan Daily intake 137Cs 50 pCi/day

The impact from stratospheric fallout increased the daily intake of radiocesium well above the previous August 1960 average of 22 pCi/day. 40% of the dietary intake of radiocesium in Japan comes from polished rice.

Baxter, A.J. and Camplin, W.C. (1993). Radiocaesium in the seas of northern Europe:  1962-69.  Fish. Res. Data Rep., MAFF Direct. Fish. Res., Lowestoft. 31. pg. 1-69.

Wilson, A. R. and Spiers, F.W. (1967). Fallout cesium-137 and potassium in new-born infants. Nature, 215, 470-474.

1966 Leeds, England Mother 137Cs 0.202 nc/kg (202 pCi/kg)

1966 Leeds, England Infant 137Cs 0.196 nc/kg (196 pCi/kg)

"the biological half life for 137Cs in an adult averages about 100 days for the principal component, comprising about 90 percent of the intake by ingestion. In infants the biological half life is 5 to 10 times lower." (p. 470).

Pelletier, C.A. and Voilleque, P.G. (1971). The behavior of 137Cs and other fallout radionuclides on a Michigan dairy farm. Health Physics, 21, 777- 792.

1964-65 Tecumseh, MI Milk 137Cs 140 pCi/l

Reflects stratospheric fallout from weapons testing.