Last Mile Wireless

knightshade43

I have been a little slow lately but I made a couple of adjustments to my radio (what I use to get internet to my house with out this I would have dialup) speed is back

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1177 Kbps about 1.2 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 144 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Sat Apr 23 04:24:42 CDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 21X faster than 56K 1MB download in 7.11 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 48.8 % faster than the average for host (46.40)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-INDRV3SMT

The commercial services people at work are testing some wireless gear from Wireless ByPass.

Link: http://www.wireless-bypass.com/

It looks interesting, it can hang on our existing strand, and is powered by the 90Volt CATV plant.

I only discovered that they were testing it when I was given a telephone outage in the area of the commercial services office.

They had one line loose, and it created havoc on the upstream.

The Wireless Bypass gear is made to simulate cable plant.

So we can reach customers up to 20 miles out of our service areas.

The hub end transceiver is hung on the pole, for example, and aimed at the customer.

At the CPE side, that transceiver is set-up, and then you plug your standard Docsis cable modem into the F port, and wallah, you have your high speed data.

Attached is a diagram from the manual....

Curious, whats the range of wireless? (tower to tower, tower to house, whatever)

I know nothing even after reading the above, so I'm dense, what can I say. :oops::D

knightshade43 would be able to answer your question better than myself.

But the gear that we are testing at work has a 20 mile  (line of sight) range.

That would obviously be tower to tower, or some other high point.

Curious, whats the range of wireless? (tower to tower, tower to house, whatever)

I know nothing even after reading the above, so I'm dense, what can I say. :oops::D

it really depends what kind of equipment you are using with a DS5800 up to 30+ miles, with a Ether-Ant 2.4Ghz customer unit up to around 8 to 10 miles put a few pine trees in the mix and more like 4 or 5 miles. Use a Ether-ant LR it has a built in amp up to 18 miles LOS. Buildings and trees reduce range I have a couple customers that are only 3 miles from the tower but are non line of site, these locations require a long range unit because of obstructions that make line of site impossible we I have a few units in use that are only 9db they are close to tower with good line of site. It does make it interesting because every install in different and requires different equipment.