Gamers UNITE! - help with new video card

xs1

ok i found out that my mobo only supports AGP 1x and 2 x.. ( figures ) but would that realy be making it display that way??

and php do not touch my posts.

sorry for doing my job...

i doubt 2x alone would make it display that way... thats pretty messed up... i think 2x would just make it go slower.  what do you have the picture quality set at?

sorry for doing my job...

i doubt 2x alone would make it display that way... thats pretty messed up... i think 2x would just make it go slower. what do you have the picture quality set at?

Iv tried everything..  Vsync on, off, different quality modes, different resolutions, all the filterings on , off. factory speeds ,  overclocked, etc.  everything remains the same...

What is the new card, make and model? If the mobo doesn't support anything over 2x AGP and the new card is 8x, then your going to see degradation . The 8x feature provides a bigger pipe for rendering images. If it can't go fast, it can't perform.

Oh sorry, should have mentioned.

Nvidia GeForceFX 6200 128 mb

- Directx 9.0

- AGP 8X

- 128mb DDR

- 64bit

- TV-OUT

- HDTV Supproted

- DVI

- S-vid

^ -  right off box

Specification

* NVIDIA GeForce 6200

* 128 DDR SDRAM

* AGP 8X

* D-sub VGA out

* HDTV out

* DVI-I

Chipset features

* 0.11u process technology

* 64-bit advanced memory interface

* 256-bit graphics architecture

* 300 MHz engine clock

* 400 MHz internal RAMDAC

* 225 Million vertices/ sec

* 2.4 Billion texels/ sec fill rate

* 64-bit floating point texture filtering and blending

* 4 pixels per clock rendering engine

* Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0

* NVIDIA CineFX 3.0 Engine

* High dynamic-range (HDR) rendering

* High-performance 2D rendering engine

* NVIDIA UltraShadow II technology

* NVIDIA Intellisample

Nice card, I'm running an ASUS with the FX 5200 Nvidia chip.... what's the mobo? You are most likely going to need a motherboard upgrade, or trade in the AGP for a PCI video card

Its some no name mobo that came with the comp... lol I know i need a new mobo but i just want to find out if thats the actual cause , because id rather not spend ( alot , since im having it installed)  5767754 bucks and have it be the same way haha

and NO! i will not go back to pci!  i just took out my 5200 128 mb pci o.o

Have you gone into the bios and checked to see if you can switch AGP speed? And yes a mobo supporting only 2xAGP  WILL slow down your new card to 2x, it cannot run any faster. You will lose close to 10fps running an 8x card in a 2x slot.

s1....i think something is wrong with ur videocard, or the motherboard.....most likely video card......usually, player models will display no matter what - of course looking really bad on low end video cards but nothing what you're experiencing......id say, update ur drivers, see if that helps

ok i found out that my mobo only supports AGP 1x and 2 x.. ( figures )  but would that realy be making it display that way??

and php do not touch my posts.

buy a new mobo, that probl fix everything cos your videocard do not support 2X AGP

VanBuren :)

There is no patch to FIX this, a software patch cannot overcome a physical condition on a motherboard, The AGP 3.0 specification makes an 8x card backward compatable to 4x boards and "some" 2x boards. But that compatability ONLY allows the card to function at the speed of the motherboard slot specification. Using a new 8x card on the older 2x motherboards can possibly damage both the motherboard and the video card. The voltage requirements for the AGP specifications are all different. 1x is 3.3 (same as pci), 2x is 1.5, 4x provides 1.5 and 0.8. 8x is 0.8 volt. You can safely run an 8x card in a 4x slot and will realize a 10 fps loss. The proper voltage is available, but the bandwidth isn't.

There is no patch to FIX this, a software patch cannot overcome a physical condition on a motherboard, The AGP 3.0 specification makes an 8x card backward compatable to 4x boards and "some" 2x boards. But that compatability ONLY allows the card to function at the speed of the motherboard slot specification. Using a new 8x card on the older 2x motherboards can possibly damage both the motherboard and the video card. The voltage requirements for the AGP specifications are all different. 1x is 3.3 (same as pci), 2x is 1.5, 4x provides 1.5 and 0.8. 8x is 0.8 volt. You can safely run an 8x card in a 4x slot and will realize a 10 fps loss. The proper voltage is available, but the bandwidth isn't.  An 8x card in a 2x slot - depending on the motherboard and the actual physical configuration of the slot - will function, but only at 2x AGP.

Hmm i was afraid of that. If i continue to try and run stressful applications like that ( hl2, doom3 etc) i agree.. their may be a possability of damaging the card & mobo. For right now, i only play counterstrike , which is barely  stressful , but still a bit laggy ( cant believe it can STILL lag.. )

- and as for the 3.0 agp and my mobo supporting it, you guys are right. My mobo will only support up to 2.0 .

Thanks for all the help. :)

Chaintech is a good choice, very under rated line of products. These guys are really doin a good job with video integration. They're also an NVIDIA development partner. Make sure your ram is compatable with the new board.

You might also want to consider this one. Very inexpensive board with a lot of features. Top quality

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v8x-mx-se/overview.htm

S1,

A couple quick notes about the Giga-Byte mobo

The NForce chipset from nVidia works very well with the nVidia chipset on the vid card.

The Giga-Byte also has dual channel DDR.

Last but not least if you like to OC this board makes it easy. ;):D

The simplest couple of things to try, if you haven't done so already, is to run the latest version of DirectX and the Nvidia drivers.  Get DirectX 9.0c at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A9B6820-BFBB-4799-9908-D418CDEAC197&displaylang=en and go get the video drivers at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

Even if your motherboard only supported AGP 2.0 it will still run an NVIDIA AGP 3.0 card.

AGP 2.0 is a 1.5V AGP slot capable of 4x, 2x and 1x speeds.

AGP 3.0 is keyed like a 1.5V AGP 2.0 slot, but it only uses 0.8V of power. It supports 8x, 4x, 2x and 1x.

The connectors on AGP video cards are keyed in such a way that you can only install equipment that have compatible voltage keyed connectors.

AGP 3.0 devices can tolerate 1.5V.

From what NVIDIA says their cards are universal AGP 3.0 which can run on either 1.5V or 0.8V.

Of course nothing is perfect and if you can afford a new motherboard then it might solve your problem.

And software problems (via drivers and patches required) can cause problems just like were shown from the JPEGS.