Ping!

punkrockgirl

I play PlanetSide.  That is i would play PlanetSide if i wasn't so lagged out.  My ping is terrible and the longer i am on the worse my packet loss gets.  I know PlanetSide is rather greedy with system resources, but i have had time when everything is fine.  I am on the fence whether it is the game server or my pc.  As it is i have every setting set for performance, i have no background tasks up, and i have power-cycled my modem/router often.  Nothing helps.  If i had any of my other mmorpg accounts open i would be able to tell if it is my connection or just the games, but i don't.  I thought about tweaking but it is my understanding that tweaking doesn't help packet loss or improve ping, both of which seem to be troubled.  Any ping/packet retention ideas out there?

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1956 Kbps about 2 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 239 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Sun Apr 24 21:55:17 CDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 35X faster than 56K 1MB download in 4.28 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 57.9 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZXV2LPHS5

Comcast sells 2 different bandwidth packages.  Mine is the smaller one of course.  My OS is WinME.  I actually attempted to upgrade to WinXP but felt it was too consumptive with system resources and also too high-handed about operations, so i reformatted and reinstalled ME (so no giving me flak about my OS :P 

PlanetSide didn't use to be so bad, but with expansions and whatnot my system is becoming less able to handle it.  I need to do some upgading, but unless money falls from the sky it's not going to happen for awhile.  As for Xp, i tried putting it on my other pc, which has basically the same components this pc has, only slightly older versions (it gets pc #1's leftovers).  It made one of my games run so slowly i had no choice but to take it off, even after endless tweaking and adjusting.  Plus it had about 30 processes running at a time and would shut itself down if i closed any.  POS. 

Anyway, i tried the tweaks suggested here, and i have started playing on a different server nearer to where i live now, but the ping and packetloss are still problems.  At first i thought they were okay but now, not so much.  I blame Comcast, but aside from some blame, i have nothing.  So sad : (

XP can run very smooth... especially if tweaked properly... i have a copy running on a 800MHz PIII w/ 128MB of ram... i hardly did anything to tweak it and it runs fine...

On 128 MB of ram and Windows xp = you get owned. It freezes alot and most important, RAM gets screwed this way and so does your HD from all the pagefiling and reading and writing its doing, I have 640 RAM and it runs really nice. It never freezes, it never crashes (only when i run a game which my graphics card cannot process some of the graphics due to the way they look. Other than that, on 512 ram and a good 2ghz youre good to go.

Windows ME is total crap mate. So many memory leaks, and it crashes and freezes often. Running any game on it is a drag as alot are not supported. I suggest windows 2000 if youre a little low on the resources. Im running 2000 on a 866mhz and 256 ram in my sisters room. Windows 2000 has most of the basic features on XP and most things which for work XP also work for 2000.

On 128 MB of ram and Windows xp = you get owned. It freezes alot and most important, RAM gets screwed this way and so does your HD from all the pagefiling and reading and writing its doing, I have 640 RAM and it runs really nice. It never freezes, it never crashes (only when i run a game which my graphics card cannot process some of the graphics due to the way they look. Other than that, on 512 ram and a good 2GHz youre good to go.

Windows ME is total crap mate. So many memory leaks, and it crashes and freezes often. Running any game on it is a drag as alot are not supported. I suggest windows 2000 if youre a little low on the resources. Im running 2000 on a 866MHz and 256 ram in my sisters room. Windows 2000 has most of the basic features on XP and most things which for work XP also work for 2000.

i have never had XP freeze on 128MB of ram...  XP will ALWAYS have a pagefile... right now on my computer with 512MB of ram, im using 626MB of my pagefile, and 444MB of ram...