I want a DVD burner but...........

Guest PeePs

Guest PeePs

I've wanted a DVD burner for a while but I don't have enough slots in my case for another drive, and I don't want to take any of them I have in there out. So I was thinking....... what would be the harm in placing the DVD burner ontop of my computer and drilling holes through the case for the wires so I can hook it up. Then I could just like...... glue the drive down on the top of my computer and it would be all good! If this is just completely dumb let me  ;).

HAHA

A DVD burner will also play and burn CDs. You can simply replace one of your CD dirves. ....and yes, that would be a dumb idea...just my opinion. Besides, what would you connect it to? You can only have 4 IDE devices attached. What are all your slots populated with now? Just curious.

If you have a smaller case just chuck your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM that is in there now, or if more than one get rid of the smallest/slowest one, modern DVD-RW drives can do it all..

If you already have 4 IDE devices and dont have/want to install a RAID adapter then you have no choice but to get rid of a drive, empty slot or not.

Putting your drive outside the case will work but is not a good idea.

I personally have issues with burn reliability on USB burners, especially if your machine does not have the new USB 2.0 interface (most people dont know they only have USB 1.1), also they cost 2-3 times as much as an internal model.

I would recommend the Lite-On SOHW832S, it is only an 8X burner but is fully hackable and glitch free.

You can pick one up for between $50-$100.

You can easily use Omnipatcher and KProbe to manipulate the 832S, it works beautifully to "backup" Safedisk2 v2.8 games and can overcome CSS and ArcCos on movies (DVD43 + DVDShrink).

Guest PeePs

You know the wires you use to connect HD's and CD drives, the really wide ones that look like duct tape? There is no reason why i cant just leave the current ones in there with my CD drive and then just connect the DVD burner to the wires from the old CD drive is there?

Guest PeePs
I would recommend the Lite-On SOHW832S, it is only an 8X burner but is fully hackable and glitch free.

You can pick one up for between $50-$100.

You can easily use Omnipatcher and KProbe to manipulate the 832S, it works beautifully to "backup" Safedisk2 v2.8 games and can overcome CSS and ArcCos on movies (DVD43 + DVDShrink).

No, it is not entirely dependant on software, hardware capabilities is very important

Actually some DVD burners (the CD-R/W part) have a better ability to duplicate weak sector patterns, which is usefull to "backup" Safedisk protected games and some audio protections.

Also some burners are what is called "rip locked" they can not read a pressed DVD faster than typical playback speed (1x-2x) while non-locked drives can reach full speed (typically 10x-16x).

I have been "backing up" games and movies for years, gotta protect my investment from scratches and cracks ya know  ;) .

Lite-On has never failed me yet, have backed everything up except for PSX/PS2 disks (proprietary sector patterns that only Sony hardware can read, modchip time),

Additionally I kinda like the bitsetting capability of Lite-On drives to make players think a DVD+R is a pressed disk.

You will need Kprobe2 and Omnipatcher if you do decide on a Lite-On, links are below.

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/index.php