FIOS & D-LINK ROUTER STACKING?

steveo3818

I just got Fios running through my house and unfortunately it runs only out of one cat-5 jack upstairs. The "genius" service tech said that there was a way to "stack" routers to get other machines connected but said he has never done it....

Currently I have a d-link 604 mounted in the garage and want to have my d-link 624 added to the mix.

Has anyone gone this route? I know that using my wireless router in place of the 604  would solve the problem  but my computer will be almost 60ft away from the router and behind a series of 4 walls.

Any solutions or instructions?????

Here is something from D-Link support:

"How do I uplink to another hub / switch  Print

You can always connect an ethernet hub/switch to another hub/switch. Some hubs/switches have uplink ports, and others do not. The configuration for all scenarios is listed below:

NORMAL PORT TO NORMAL PORT ---- CROSSOVER CABLE

UPLINK PORT TO UPLINK PORT ---- CROSSOVER CABLE

UPLINK PORT TO NORMAL PORT ---- STRAIGHT THROUGH/PATCH CABLE

NORMAL PORT TO UPLINK PORT ---- STRAIGHT THROUGH/PATCH CABLE

Remember, if you have a link light than the cable is right."

I've never tried it, but it seems easy enough to do. A router is also a hub. If ou connect 2 together you have to change the LAN IP address on the second router/hub. When connecting 2 routers together, connect the second one through a lan port, NOT the wan port.

<SNIP>

Has anyone gone this route? I know that using my wireless router in place of the 604 would solve the problem but my computer will be almost 60ft away from the router and behind a series of 4 walls.

Any solutions or instructions?????

Read the last part of his quote.^ He is probably having signal problems.

I thought VERIZON provided a router?